What was tonight's game plan? | Syracusefan.com

What was tonight's game plan?

Madbiker

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Reg Season Rcd
Can anyone tell me? Because it looked like it was for MCW to play hot potato with the ball trying desperately not to lose his handle under pressure, pounding the ball around around the perimeter about 25 feet out, and then shoveling it to Triche or Dirty for a long off balance 3-pt attempt with about 20 seconds left on the shot clock. The strategy of having BT and MCW drive it to the rim and post up the 2 UConn guards exploiting a 6 inch height advantage worked great...to bad we didn't start doing that until we were down 9 with 4 minutes left. I don't know if this was a game where JB blew it with awful strategy or the execution was just bad...or both. We never tried to exploit what should have been a huge advantage in the paint against marginal BE caliber players. Just a What night!

Based upon how the game played out, one can only assume that the game plan was to:

--Settle for jump shots instead of looking to get to the basket or exploit our size advantage inside in any way, shape, or form

--Leave uconn shooters open, because they can't shoot consistently

--Don't hit the boards hard, again despite our ostensible size advantage

--Avoid getting the ball to our most consistent player--CJ--the entire second half, in lieu of having other, less consistent players gun

I think that about covers the pre-game white board.

Uh, strategy? Seems to me our strategy is to play our game while other teams adjust to beat us. When we we lose, it's because we didn't execute or shoot well.

Sorry to keep coming back to the 'ole "I've been saying this all year" schtick, but, I've been saying since game 1:

This team will have the following at some point:

1) Losses where MCW tries to put the state of NY on his back and forces everything
2) A few What losses. Now, by What I did not mean in terms of the caliber of opponent; losing on the road against Uconn is by no means a bad loss. BUT, what I did mean was seriously, what the f***. Games where you're constantly head scratching.

I was correct.

Based upon how the game played out, one can only assume that the game plan was to:

--Settle for jump shots instead of looking to get to the basket or exploit our size advantage inside in any way, shape, or form

--Leave uconn shooters open, because they can't shoot consistently

--Don't hit the boards hard, again despite our ostensible size advantage

--Avoid getting the ball to our most consistent player--CJ--the entire second half, in lieu of having other, less consistent players gun

I think that about covers the pre-game white board.

Just a dreadful performance - and I was feeling so good about this team earlier today as well.

What a wasted opportunity to keep momentum rolling after getting James back...now we are thrown in that clusterf*ck of teams with 3 losses

The era of two forwards and a center is DEAD. we are like the only team that runs that . Its not like we outrebound or out tough people with our size. better off going smaller and having a scoring threat at every position. in our zone, alot of rebounds are long and more positioning/quickness based. dont see the point of having rak or keita in at all times.

The offensive game plan has been awfull recently. All we do is pass the ball to the side and then right back to the top of the key (MCW). He is the only guy that touches the ball, then every once in a while you got CJ doing that curl around the screen. Our motion on offense is just atrociouse. I don't remember our offense ever being this stagnant.

The offensive game plan has been awfull recently. All we do is pass the ball to the side and then right back to the top of the key (MCW). He is the only guy that touches the ball, then every once in a while you got CJ doing that curl around the screen. Our motion on offense is just atrociouse. I don't remember our offense ever being this stagnant.

The fact of the matter is that we're a below average offensive team, for a variety of reasons. This team reminds me a lot more of the 2011 team [Rick's senior year] that was pretty good, but similarly struggled to score than either of the years sandwiched around that when we seemed to score far more easily.

In no particular order:

--We have zero low post game, and no ability to generate easy baskets when we absolutely need a score
--Our three point shooting has never rounded into form, collectively
--Both guards are highly capable, but highly inconsistent
--MCW tends to over-dribble
--Our offensive movement without the ball is often lacking
--Our execution of half-court offensive sets goes to sh-t in games when we don't get transition scoring opportunites
--We play many games 4-5 due to the fact that we rarely get offensive production from Rak, Keita, or Coleman
--We "settle" for jumpshots too regularly, despite not being a good shooting team

I'm sure that someone will post advanced statistics trying to dispute the notion that we aren't a "good" offensive team, but this team doesn't pass the look test on that side of the ball. Its a shame, because we have a lot of pieces of the puzzle, but it doesn't seem as though the net product is better than the sum of the individual parts--at least on offense.