What we can learn from Chip Kelly | Syracusefan.com

What we can learn from Chip Kelly

DPCuse

Starter
No matter the money your program has or the salary you are getting paid or the success your team has had or the passion of the fans, when the NFL comes calling, you have to listen and possibly go. Very few if any programs have what Oregon has and he may be leaving. Can you blame Doug? I wish him the best whatever decision he makes.

I don't blame Chip because Oregon will be on probation soon.

No matter the money your program has or the salary you are getting paid or the success your team has had or the passion of the fans, when the NFL comes calling, you have to listen and possibly go. Very few if any programs have what Oregon has and he may be leaving. Can you blame Doug? I wish him the best whatever decision he makes.
I think the anger/anxiety directed towards Doug leaving has fully transitioned to a fear that our University isn't capable and/or willing to field a major college football program. People understand why HCDM is interviewing and don't necessarily blame him except for the whole "dream job' thing which I guess we were all jaded to believe. (Even if it didn't turn out to be what he thought it still was his dream and alma mater, if he wanted it enough the obstacles wouldn't be enough to open his ears and eyes to other jobs, even NFL jobs after only 4 years). Good coaches will get NFL interest but I dont think anyone at Oregon is worried about their program going back on life support if Chip Kelly leaves.

I think the anger/anxiety directed towards Doug leaving has fully transitioned to a fear that our University isn't capable and/or willing to field a major college football program. People understand why HCDM is interviewing and don't necessarily blame him except for the whole "dream job' thing which I guess we were all jaded to believe. (Even if it didn't turn out to be what he thought it still was his dream and alma mater, if he wanted it enough the obstacles wouldn't be enough to open his ears and eyes to other jobs, even NFL jobs after only 4 years). Good coaches will get NFL interest but I dont think anyone at Oregon is worried about their program going back on life support if Chip Kelly leaves.

Very true. Oregon is in a better position to attract a replacement. My point was, just throwing some extra dollars at the SU football program, facilities and coaching staff still may not be enough to retain Marrone. But it would make it more difficult to leave, that's for sure.

Well that and the fact that we spent most of the season on here arguing and debating on whether or not the program has turned the corner only to find out that our coach is one step from turning the corner out the door. It's just a big shock.

Jim Boeheim didn't go anywhere and seemed to do just fine. Coach K stayed. Joe Pa stayed and did pretty well until the whole... Don't get me wrong, Doug has the right to do whatever he wants, but you can't compare him to Chip Kelly. Chip had no previous connection to Oregon, plus if he leaves them, they're still in great shape at an elite level. If you're telling everyone that your whole career was geared towards coming back to SU and "how you could never pay back SU enough" and then you leave after 4 years, it's not shocking if many like me are disappointed.

I think the anger/anxiety directed towards Doug leaving has fully transitioned to a fear that our University isn't capable and/or willing to field a major college football program.

Here is my problem with all of these threads: Why are people just coming for his realization now? I don't get it. This was a problem when P was here.

While this individual and I don't agree on essentially anything, to his credit, OrangePA has been leading this charge for years. He's not wrong about that.

I have personally heard from coaches who have coached in other leagues and other parts of the country (as well as personally seen) and coached at SU that our facilities were the worst they have ever seen. One person went as far as saying: "By far." And that coach was no longer at SU when he said it. Thu improved some things, but there is a long way to go.

It's a real issue that fans need to wake up to. Football costs money. This day has been coming and there have people here talking about this as far back as ten years ago.

Btw, not picking on your post specifically because I know what you mean/are pointing it. More as commentary on the myriad threads on the topic that people seem shocked that this is happening.

44cuse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom