what we need is to have a April and May like | Syracusefan.com

what we need is to have a April and May like

dasher

Living Legend
the Football team's January and Febuary. coming off a 5-7 season and 3 blowout losses to end it up, we bring in
4 good ass'ts and 4 4 star kids (two in the portal). Here is the fix for us, we bring in Mintz. i love what I see from him.
We keep Cole and bring in a really good athletic forward. Or Cole does leave and we bring in 2 really good athletic
forwards. Benny, Bunch, Taylor and Brown all vie for reserve time with Symir and Frank. We bring synergy back. Our
sums are greater than our whole.

Benny, Bunch, Taylor and Brown all vie for reserve time with Symir and Frank. We bring synergy back. Our

Who is Synergy and why wouldn’t he come back? Lots of playing time available if he’s any good.

Sorry .

Huh, and I thought I was the only drunk dude still up. Cool.
So that’s why you replied to yourself in the other thread.

the Football team's January and Febuary. coming off a 5-7 season and 3 blowout losses to end it up, we bring in
4 good ass'ts and 4 4 star kids (two in the portal). Here is the fix for us, we bring in Mintz. i love what I see from him.
We keep Cole and bring in a really good athletic forward. Or Cole does leave and we bring in 2 really good athletic
forwards. Benny, Bunch, Taylor and Brown all vie for reserve time with Symir and Frank. We bring synergy back. Our
I like where your head is at.

With Cole

C Edwards/Anselem/Carey
PF <transfer>/Benny/Brown
SF Cole/Taylor or Bunch
SG Girard/Taylor/Mintz
PG Mintz/Girard/Copeland

Carey and Copeland might redshirt.

The transfer would ideally be an athletic guy able to cover a lot of ground on defense, get some weak side blocks, serve as a strong rebounder and have the ability to score inside/hit some mid range jumpers. Rebounding and defense are really important. Scoring is a nice to have.

Without Cole

C Edwards/Anselem/Carey
PF <transfer>/Benny/Brown/
SF <transfer>/Bunch/Taylor
SG Girard/Taylor/Mintz
PG Mintz/Girard/Copeland

Without Cole, we really need to add a proven outside shooter that can shoot 40% from the 3 point circle. That player needs to be athletic enough to cover a lot of ground playing in the 2-3. It would be great if they could rebound well and could get to the basket. But shooting and defense are the most important things we need from this player.

The second transfer would fill the role of the prototype SU power forward. This guy needs to be athletic enough to cover a lot of space on defense. They ideally would be good at blocking shots coming from the weak side. Excellent rebounding skills on offense and defense are a big key. Scoring would be nice but good defense and rebounding are the must haves here.

Benny might well develop into a solid player his sophomore season. I could see him getting 13 ppg and 7 rpg if he gets 30 mpg. But he hasn’t proven he can deliver those kinds of numbers as a starter and there are no guarantees he is going to stay with the program. Like Dash says, in this day and age, we gotta add at least one forward from the portal.

My guess is that if Cole leaves, it will be pretty easy to get a really good forward who can shoot (and hopefully slash and play defense). We could sell them on playing the role Buddy played this year (and Cole as well to a limited extent). Our offense is a good showcase for a talented scorer. Pretty sure we would get a lot of interest from good players.

The PF transfer (I am assuming we take one regardless) is a harder sell. Might need to get someone from the MAC, the IVY or a lower level like these to fill this role.

To me, the key is to be proactive on getting these players. Get a decision from Cole ASAP, get the word out regarding what we are looking for and get the player(s) we want ASAP. Don’t let this drag into the summer. The best players are going to get taken quickly once the regular season ends. If we want to get good talent, we need to get word out very quickly.

Maybe our season ending quickly could be a blessing in disguise in that it gives us a jump on some other teams pursuing some of the best players in the portal?

I fear we will wait until April or May to get serious on this. If history means anything, at least one or two players on the roster are going to leave, and make the task of filling out the roster even tougher. I think it is really important to be proactive and get the key spots we need to complete the roster filled as soon as possible.

I like where your head is at.

With Cole

C Edwards/Anselem/Carey
PF <transfer>/Benny/Brown
SF Cole/Taylor or Bunch
SG Girard/Taylor/Mintz
PG Mintz/Girard/Copeland

Carey and Copeland might redshirt.

The transfer would ideally be an athletic guy able to cover a lot of ground on defense, get some weak side blocks, serve as a strong rebounder and have the ability to score inside/hit some mid range jumpers. Rebounding and defense are really important. Scoring is a nice to have.

Without Cole

C Edwards/Anselem/Carey
PF <transfer>/Benny/Brown/
SF <transfer>/Bunch/Taylor
SG Girard/Taylor/Mintz
PG Mintz/Girard/Copeland

Without Cole, we really need to add a proven outside shooter that can shoot 40% from the 3 point circle. That player needs to be athletic enough to cover a lot of ground playing in the 2-3. It would be great if they could rebound well and could get to the basket. But shooting and defense are the most important things we need from this player.

The second transfer would fill the role of the prototype SU power forward. This guy needs to be athletic enough to cover a lot of space on defense. They ideally would be good at blocking shots coming from the weak side. Excellent rebounding skills on offense and defense are a big key. Scoring would be nice but good defense and rebounding are the must haves here.

Benny might well develop into a solid player his sophomore season. I could see him getting 13 ppg and 7 rpg if he gets 30 mpg. But he hasn’t proven he can deliver those kinds of numbers as a starter and there are no guarantees he is going to stay with the program. Like Dash says, in this day and age, we gotta add at least one forward from the portal.

My guess is that if Cole leaves, it will be pretty easy to get a really good forward who can shoot (and hopefully slash and play defense). We could sell them on playing the role Buddy played this year (and Cole as well to a limited extent). Our offense is a good showcase for a talented scorer. Pretty sure we would get a lot of interest from good players.

The PF transfer (I am assuming we take one regardless) is a harder sell. Might need to get someone from the MAC, the IVY or a lower level like these to fill this role.

To me, the key is to be proactive on getting these players. Get a decision from Cole ASAP, get the word out regarding what we are looking for and get the player(s) we want ASAP. Don’t let this drag into the summer. The best players are going to get taken quickly once the regular season ends. If we want to get good talent, we need to get word out very quickly.

Maybe our season ending quickly could be a blessing in disguise in that it gives us a jump on some other teams pursuing some of the best players in the portal?

I fear we will wait until April or May to get serious on this. If history means anything, at least one or two players on the roster are going to leave, and make the task of filling out the roster even tougher. I think it is really important to be proactive and get the key spots we need to complete the roster filled as soon as possible.
I fear that Jb is telling the truth that if Cole comes back, we will roll with just Cole and Benny. I couldn't disagree with that more.

I fear that Jb is telling the truth that if Cole comes back, we will roll with just Cole and Benny. I couldn't disagree with that more.
Agree. If we have those two as the starters, we will still be a bad rebounding team. And if one of them gets hurt, we need to start a frosh. Don’t think any of them will be ready to play significant minutes. A one year rental at PF would be ideal.

One of JB’s greatest qualities is his loyalty. But it can also be one of his biggest weaknesses. In this day and age, when players show little loyalty and are often willing to leave at the drop of a hat, programs have to load up their rosters with as much quality depth as possible to protect themselves from situations like our team faces playing against Miami today.

It is bad enough going into a game with 2 true scholarship players at guard. Trying to play with 2 true scholarship players at forward as well is a recipe for disaster. We can’t let this situation happen again. We have to learn from our mistakes.

Agree. If we have those two as the starters, we will still be a bad rebounding team. And if one of them gets hurt, we need to start a frosh. Don’t think any of them will be ready to play significant minutes. A one year rental at PF would be ideal.

One of JB’s greatest qualities is his loyalty. But it can also be one of his biggest weaknesses. In this day and age, when players show little loyalty and are often willing to leave at the drop of a hat, programs have to load up their rosters with as much quality depth as possible to protect themselves from situations like our team faces playing against Miami today.

It is bad enough going into a game with 2 true scholarship players at guard. Trying to play with 2 true scholarship players at forward as well is a recipe for disaster. We can’t let this situation happen again. We have to learn from our mistakes.
I think this is a little doom and gloom... Even if we don't get Mintz and Swider leaves:

Anselem, Edwards and Carey
Williams, Brown, Bunch and Taylor
Girard, Torrence and Copeland.

Carey can probably play forward and Taylor was recruited as a guard, so even if we have two injuries we are ok... Not many teams have the depth for three season ending injuries. Has it ever happened to us before?

If we have Swider back and we get Mintz, we are very deep even without a transfer. Quality depth? Who knows? Not me.

If we don't keep Swider, I would like to get a high quality forward transfer! Otherwise we have a lot of prayers and Edwards/Girard on the pick and roll.

People are giving up on Williams too soon. We saw what he could do against Duke.

Swider, Williams, Bunch, Brown and Taylor looks like a nice group to me, although with a ton of unknowns.

If we have Edwards, Swider and Girard and two other players who can play very good defense, we have a team that can compete every night.

We need more to compete for a championship, but Williams was a top 30 recruit with the yips this year and Mintz is a dynamic player who should complement Girard nicely.

And don't forget the lottery picks in the recruiting class. Would anyone be truly shocked if Copeland came in and was a late season clone of Sweet Sixteen Richmond, or Taylor or Bunch come in and imitate Buddy adequately? I wouldn't. It's their upside protections, just a matter of achieving their upside early.

Last edited:
I think this is a little doom and gloom... Even if we don't get Mintz and Swider leaves:

Anselem, Edwards and Carey
Williams, Brown, Bunch and Taylor
Girard, Torrence and Copeland.

Carey can probably play forward and Taylor was recruited as a guard, so even if we have two injuries we are ok... Not many teams have the depth for three season ending injuries. Has it ever happened to us before?

If we have Swider back and we get Mintz, we are very deep even without a transfer. Quality depth? Who knows? Not me.

If we don't keep Swider, I would like to get a high quality forward transfer! Otherwise we have a lot of prayers and Edwards/Girard on the pick and roll.
If things break our way, we could have a starting lineup with Edwards, Cole, some solid PF, JG3 at SG and Mintz at PG. Could have 5 double figure scorers and some quality depth with Anselem at center, Benny at forward and Sy at guard. That is a good team that makes the NCAA tournament and could break into the top 25.

I just don’t think everyone is coming back and as Dash says, it is not a given we are adding a PF transfer.

As always, I am hoping for the best.

People are giving up on Williams too soon. We saw what he could do against Duke.

Swider, Williams, Bunch, Brown and Taylor looks like a nice group to me, although with a ton of unknowns.

If we have Edwards, Swider and Girard and two other players who can play very good defense, we have a team that can compete every night.

We need more to compete for a championship, but Williams was a top 30 recruit with the yips this year and Mintz is a dynamic player who should complement Girard nicely.

And don't forget the lottery picks in the recruiting class. Would anymore be truly shocked if Copeland came in and was a late season clone of Richmond, or Taylor or Bunch come in and imitate Buddy adequately? I wouldn't. It's their upside protections, just a matter of achieving their upside early.
No one is giving up on Benny, but I don’t think it’s a winning formula to count on him as a starting forward next year. He’s basically proven to be Matthew Moyer at this point. We need better players there.

Can Judas defend?

What we need is at least one guard that plays a lot, who can.

We’re not winning squat if the guard play defensively isn’t miles better, assuming we keep playing this zone.

Can Judas defend?

What we need is at least one guard that plays a lot, who can.

We’re not winning squat if the guard play defensively isn’t miles better, assuming we keep playing this zone.
I think he has the ability to, but he’s on the smaller side. If we start him and Girard that’s the smallest starting backcourt we have had since Gerry and Devendorf. I think we would be better served playing man than zone.

I think he has the ability to, but he’s on the smaller side. If we start him and Girard that’s the smallest starting backcourt we have had since Gerry and Devendorf. I think we would be better served playing man than zone.
Agreed!

No one is giving up on Benny, but I don’t think it’s a winning formula to count on him as a starting forward next year. He’s basically proven to be Matthew Moyer at this point. We need better players there.
Saying Benny Williams is Matt Moyer is the definition of giving up on someone.

I think Williams is the kid that got 14 and 6 against a Duke team that physically dominated everybody else. He just needs to settle in, and scoring 20 against a few cupcakes in November will do the trick.

Saying Benny Williams is Matt Moyer is the definition of giving up on someone.

I think Williams is the kid that got 14 and 6 against a Duke team that physically dominated everybody else. He just needs to settle in, and scoring 20 against a few cupcakes in November will do the trick.
Asking Benny to score 20 is a lot. Outside of grabbing offensive rebounds how else can Benny score?

If you look at the first 14 games Moyer played here he was not all that bad. He had 4 games with double digit rebounds and 4 with double digit points. He was our best player in a win against UConn that season. He may have had a better career here if his parents didn’t control every part of his life.

Asking Benny to score 20 is a lot. Outside of grabbing offensive rebounds how else can Benny score?

If you look at the first 14 games Moyer played here he was not all that bad. He had 4 games with double digit rebounds and 4 with double digit points. He was our best player in a win against UConn that season. He may have had a better career here if his parents didn’t control every part of his life.

Plug in the Cuse AAAA forward formula, score close to the basket and as the player earns trust work his way outside.

Get a decision from Cole ASAP, get the word out regarding what we are looking for and get the player(s) we want ASAP. Don’t let this drag into the summer.

Ideally, but with the portal, there are so many moving parts.

For example, if Jesse decided to test the NBA water, if we run out immediately to get a backup center from the portal and end up nudging Frank out would put the center position in jeopardy. I saw somewhere Carey is injured and may take a long recovery. May be I misread.

And don't forget the lottery picks in the recruiting class. Would anyone be truly shocked if Copeland came in and was a late season clone of Sweet Sixteen Richmond, or Taylor or Bunch come in and imitate Buddy adequately? I wouldn't. It's their upside protections, just a matter of achieving their upside early.
A few big jumps you made there. First, I'm not selling Williams short. But it is foolish to put all of your eggs in one basket for a kid that had one game all year. Most of the year he looked lost and quite frankly, inept. If I could get a kid like the kid that transferred to St John's from Pitt last year, I would do that in a New York second. Benny could be a 3rd forward. You jump to Copeland being KR or what Taylor or Bunch can do. Once again, we haven't seen them do a thing at the D-1 level. I saw Bunch in person and came away not impressed at all. I love Mintz. hope we get him. And once again, with jesse, Cole, Joe and Mintz, i think we are 4/5 of a good team. That is why I want a proven forward.

A few big jumps you made there. First, I'm not selling Williams short. But it is foolish to put all of your eggs in one basket for a kid that had one game all year. Most of the year he looked lost and quite frankly, inept. If I could get a kid like the kid that transferred to St John's from Pitt last year, I would do that in a New York second. Benny could be a 3rd forward. You jump to Copeland being KR or what Taylor or Bunch can do. Once again, we haven't seen them do a thing at the D-1 level. I saw Bunch in person and came away not impressed at all. I love Mintz. hope we get him. And once again, with jesse, Cole, Joe and Mintz, i think we are 4/5 of a good team. That is why I want a proven forward.
I agree with you. I am a Benny believer, but we should always try to fill the roster with the best talent we can get and let them compete for playing time. They will all benefit from that. When you don’t have at least 10 true D1 players, you can’t even have competitive scrimmages.

A nice vision, but the guy in charge has to play the bench and give everybody a chance to contribute. You might find a guy or two if you give them a chance. Lawrence Moten was not "The Guy" in his recruiting class. But he certainly turned out to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom