What we need to beat Wake | Syracusefan.com

What we need to beat Wake

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
lets hear it.

This is not an easy win. We’re 1-1 vs wake this yeAr and have never won an ACC tournament game. Enough talk about round 2 and making the tournament. We absolutely need this win first in any rational scenario.

What do we need to do to ensure Wake is not in this game. We are the more talented team but we’ve shown vulnerability this year often.

As jb always says, make shots.

more points than them.
Yeah? Well we’re 1 for 2 at that and i’d feel more comfortable not thinking this game’s 50/50.

We had a lot go right in our win too. Chukwu had several points and double figure boards, howard had a near double double, brissett had a double double and battle had 34. This sounds like a game we’d won by 20. We won by 8 and let wake remain in striking distance. Moyer was hurt, marek played ok, and sidibe did not provide much.

• Chukwu needs to stay out of foul trouble. He's been limping on the court the past week or so, hopefully he's gotten better, not worse since Saturday.
  • Extend the zone early, as necessary. Wilbekin and others hit several deep threes and got into a groove. Push them up and hope Chukwu holds down the post.
  • Don't settle for threes. Howard/Battle/Brissett, as I've said many times, are an exceptionally athletic trio. All 3 are capable of driving to the basket and drawing fouls.
  • As above, get Wake in foul trouble and exploit the low paint when Moore is on bench or in foul trouble. FH/TB/OB need to attack with a purpose.

Make sure that guy Moore doesn't dunk on Chukwu all game.

Chewy is not about to let that happen, he is the least of my worries. It's the corner 3, guard the Arff ing corner 3 please. On their court, OB looked his most freshmany giving up those shots, can't let that happen again.

just rebound.. Howard went and got some vs Clemson.. we need both guards to get 3-5, we dont fast break anyway so go get the ball.

Something tells me we will be annoyed with Wilbekin during/post game. He drained a few threes to keep them in it last game.

Last edited:
- Extend the zone from the tip.
- Keep C out of foul trouble.
- Limit dumb transition causing turnovers.
- 10-12 points, 12-15 rebounds combined from the 4-5.

I don't even bother saying we need to shoot well because we rarely shoot well, and our main three are going to be the ones forced to score regardless.

The other 4 items are not consistent game to game.

Put Wilbekin thru the hoop when hes on defense...if they wanna play him a ton of mins we need to go at him every single possession, he cant defend Battle or Howard at all
I don't think it's Wilbekin (WoebeGone), per se. I think it's our legs with too many minutes and not enough bench.

lets hear it.

This is not an easy win. We’re 1-1 vs wake this yeAr and have never won an ACC tournament game. Enough talk about round 2 and making the tournament. We absolutely need this win first in any rational scenario.

What do we need to do to ensure Wake is not in this game. We are the more talented team but we’ve shown vulnerability this year often.
We don't need to stop talking about UNC to beat Wake, that I can guarantee.

Prevent them from shooting wide open corner 3's. They lived off that in both 2nd halves against us.
That's what I remember about the 2nd game in The Dome. SU up 10 at the half and coasting. Up 14 with 11:05 to go in the 2nd half. Then Wilbekin and Crawford went crazy from the 3-point line with 6 between them after that point. Woods added another 2. So of the 10 3s that WF made in the game, 8 were in the last 11 minutes. No excuse for that. Simply bad defense. Moore also went 7-9 with 16 rebounds for WF.

SU made 26 FTs, but missed 13, with Howard going 4-10, 3-12 from the field. He did have 9 assists with only 1 TO though. But Battle was the star for SU. WF is a team that SU should own but hasn't done so in the 2 games this year. I loved the intensity the team showed against Clemson. They knew their backs were against the wall and although they shot rather poorly they kept coming after Clemson and got a hard earned victory.

lets hear it.

To give a football analogy, this to me is like needing a yard on 4th down at your opponents 35 to wrap up a win. Sure you can play it safe and punt the ball, but if you can't pick up a yard to run out the clock and seal the victory, you don't deserve to win anyway. If we can't beat Wake...in NYC...in March...for a likely spot in the Dance...well, we never deserved it in the 1st place. LGO

We don't need to stop talking about UNC to beat Wake, that I can guarantee.

By all means, continue talking about a game that may never happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom