What we need to see in the next 4 games | Syracusefan.com

What we need to see in the next 4 games

Cuseball

Starter
Okay I am disgusted as everyone and trying my best to forget what my eyes witnessed last night. Next 4 games are the time to make improvements before the schedule before the games at Barclay's against Ok State, Penn State or Miss State and then Iowa, Georgia Tech and Georgetown..

The next 4 are not pushovers (Colgate, Seattle, Cornell and Bucknell) but should all be good chances for wins. In my opinion, here's what we need to see:
  • Quincy has to play and has to develop into an inside threat. The offense will not work if there is no one willing to work inside. Quincy has the body and skill set. Spend the next few games getting him going underneath. Once he gets some inside work done then he can flash out for the occasional 3 pointer or jumper. Start inside and work out and give him a longer leash because he is crucial to any success.
  • Set the screens and show some pride in being physical. I know Girard can do it but not sure if anyone else has the mindset. Screens set up back doors, open driving lanes and shooters.
  • If Sidibe is going to play then he needs to be physical inside and setting screens, blocking shots and bounding. Everyone knows he ain't shooting so he needs to do the little things or else pull the plug and go with the different option
  • Edwards looked good but against scrubs. Seems to have the tools and the willingness. Test him with some earlier game moments and see what you got. Tons more upside than Sidibe.
  • Find time for Braswell and find the lineup that works. Marek, Sidibe and Carey cant be on court together so work with other options.
  • Balance minutes enough that morale stays high and team keeps working.
There is still hope to have a decent season. Win the next 4, gain some confidence and hope to see a different team against Okie State.

Cuse!

we'll lost to colgate by 20+, lucky if we get to 50 pts

I couldn’t imagine this place if we lost to Colgate and snapped that win streak.

Colgate is a talented and experienced team. I’m not sure if we can beat them at this time. This team can’t hang their hat on one thing that they have an advantage over Colgate. I’m sure Colgate has this game circled on their schedule. We will be taller, but not necessarily better.

I couldn’t imagine this place if we lost to Colgate and snapped that win streak.

Better get ready. It is a distinct possibility.

You guys make this place unfun to be at. Game 1 against Virginia and a bad showing and the way you guys act we won’t finish with a win

For many years, the record for least points in a half at the Dome used to be 17 points. (I think it's 16 now ...)

Our offense basically put together back-to-back halves that were the worst scoring in Dome history.

I will repeat, sure Virginia has Tony Bennett on the bench, but that was 4 new starters out there for them last night.

If Boeheim doesn't really do a lot of things differently, this year is probably going to be the year that his 44 year winning streak comes to an end.

I don't like typing that, but I feel like it's the truth.

For many years, the record for least points in a half at the Dome used to be 17 points. (I think it's 16 now ...)

Our offense basically put together back-to-back halves that were the worst scoring in Dome history.

I will repeat, sure Virginia has Tony Bennett on the bench, but that was 4 new starters out there for them last night.

If Boeheim doesn't really do a lot of things differently, this year is probably going to be the year that his 44 year winning streak comes to an end.

I don't like typing that, but I feel like it's the truth.

So in all 44 years we have never had a worse team in your eyes. And you are basing it off of the FIRST game of the entire season?

I can't disagree with anything in the OP.

So in all 44 years we have never had a worse team in your eyes. And you are basing it off of the FIRST game of the entire season?

I think we may have had some worse talent, but the coaching has clearly taken a step back.

But I'm not basing it on the first game of the season; I'm basing it on the last several seasons, plus the summer tour in Italy (which I watched every game of) and the 2 exhibitions.

But mostly, it comes down to the man on the bench, and what's happening at practices. There are a handful of pretty talented kids on the team, including a lot of pretty good shooters.

But we just do not play like a well coached team, that has a strategy for how they are going to attack an opponent.

JB likes to say that he continues to play zone because it takes away about 80% of the opposition's offensive plays, and it makes them adjust to how we play.

OK, I can buy that.

But that does not excuse the apparent fact that you don't have us prepared to do anything against the other team's defensive tendencies. We runs the same shtt every year, regardless of who the opponent is, and it gets worse and worse, even when we do hit our shots.

I've heard JB defend his offensive approach by saying he doesn't want players over-thinking on offense. He wants them to play naturally, play instinctively. I can get that. I can understand it.

But it used to be that JB was outstanding at getting his scorers good shots in positions where they could score. It's what he was known for - putting talented guys in a position to shine.
That guy seems to have checked out years ago.

I think we may have had some worse talent, but the coaching has clearly taken a step back.

But I'm not basing it on the first game of the season; I'm basing it on the last several seasons, plus the summer tour in Italy (which I watched every game of) and the 2 exhibitions.

But mostly, it comes down to the man on the bench, and what's happening at practices. There are a handful of pretty talented kids on the team, including a lot of pretty good shooters.

But we just do not play like a well coached team, that has a strategy for how they are going to attack an opponent.

JB likes to say that he continues to play zone because it takes away about 80% of the opposition's offensive plays, and it makes them adjust to how we play.

OK, I can buy that.

But that does not excuse the apparent fact that you don't have us prepared to do anything against the other team's defensive tendencies. We runs the same shtt every year, and it gets worse and worse, even when we do hit our shots.
I mean we held them to 48 points? Say what you want but that’s a good D. Especially with how many bad shots we made

OK, I can buy that.

But that does not excuse the apparent fact that you don't have us prepared to do anything against the other team's defensive tendencies. We runs the same shtt every year, regardless of who the opponent is, and it gets worse and worse, even when we do hit our shots.

I've heard JB defend his offensive approach by saying he doesn't want players over-thinking on offense. He wants them to play naturally, play instinctively. I can get that. I can understand it.

But it used to be that JB was outstanding at getting his scorers good shots in positions where they could score. It's what he was known for - putting talented guys in a position to shine.
That guy seems to have checked out years ago.

I feel like our Offensive strategy is to play good D and get out in transition on O. We NEED half court offense as well.

I mean we held them to 48 points? Say what you want but that’s a good D. Especially with how many bad shots we made

I'll bet you right now that we don't hold another team under 50 this year.
Hell, we might not hold another team under 60.
Virginia's pace of play had a lot more to do with their score than our stellar defense.

I feel like our Offensive strategy is to play good D and get out in transition on O. We NEED half court offense as well.

We haven't got out in transition since Tyler Ennis - and he pretty much ruined our fast break by never taking it to the basket. We would run this fast break into the opposing half, and then he would pull the ball up and set up a half court attack, just like Frank used to do. They didn't take advantage of easy opportunities to score.

Last edited:
You guys make this place unfun to be at. Game 1 against Virginia and a bad showing and the way you guys act we won’t finish with a win
doesn't matter. we suck and season is over. it was over at about 8:15 EST last night. we'll be lucky to win an acc game. we'll be lucky to reach 50 in any game all year. we'll be lucky to ever get a recruit again. we'll be lucky to avg 10k a game in attendance from now on

I'll bet you right now that we don't hold another team under 50 this year.
Hell, we might not hold another team under 60.
Virginia's pace of play had a lot more to do with their score than our stellar defense.

We forced 16 turnovers and they went 4-25 from 3. The defense was pretty good. Good enough to win most games.

Colgate is a talented and experienced team. I’m not sure if we can beat them at this time. This team can’t hang their hat on one thing that they have an advantage over Colgate. I’m sure Colgate has this game circled on their schedule. We will be taller, but not necessarily better.
I think Colgate has at Clemson and at Auburn as well. they must think they can compete with some big boys

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom