What Will We Be Looking For | Syracusefan.com

What Will We Be Looking For

GeauxSU

2022 Cali Winner (Points Scored/Passing TDs)
At the Spring Game. What does everyone want to see

Personally, some things I’d like to see:

Semblance of a balanced offensive attack. Quarterbacks zipping balls not just into the flat. I’m realistic, so if Anae and company go like 65/35 rush to pass and the pass attack looks great, I’ll be very encouraged

Big boys up front on the DL. See how they’re doing

Josh Hough. That is all

Looking forward to the spring game and to a great SU football season. Keep the faith!!

This. And…
To me it’s all about the trenches. We know we have a running back. We know the passing game will be better (it couldn’t get much worse). Can the oline perform?
On the defensive side we know we have linebackers. We know we have a good to great secondary. We just need capable players to clog up the running holes on the line. I think Locket and Geer come thru. Could be a nice season.

Spring Game for me is always who passes the look test. I don't think you can get too much other than who has improved their physique and who's moving well.

I wanna see the transfers who are already here, Enrique Cruz, Hough, and the WRs.

1) The rapport between the new coaches and the players.

2) Do we have WRs who look like they are ready to start contributing.

3) Every QB. Every single one of them.

4) Aussie punter.

5) What does SU do when they have a slot on the ACCN all to themselves? Note: The nice aspect of the late start might be the chance to really showcase some LED magic.

6) Probably too soon for Hough, but how do we look at the RB spot behind Tucker?

7) Mang, Mahar and Rhino.

Last edited:
This. And…
To me it’s all about the trenches. We know we have a running back. We know the passing game will be better (it couldn’t get much worse). Can the oline perform?
On the defensive side we know we have linebackers. We know we have a good to great secondary. We just need capable players to clog up the running holes on the line. I think Locket and Geer come thru. Could be a nice season.

Geer is someone who everyone thinks is going to explode as our next great DL. I think he might be a year away from that, but hope he's a really solid contributor this year.

At the Spring Game. What does everyone want to see

Personally, some things I’d like to see:

Semblance of a balanced offensive attack. Quarterbacks zipping balls not just into the flat. I’m realistic, so if Anae and company go like 65/35 rush to pass and the pass attack looks great, I’ll be very encouraged

Big boys up front on the DL. See how they’re doing

Josh Hough. That is all

Looking forward to the spring game and to a great SU football season. Keep the faith!!
Seriously….we have an all American back (also a transfer and highly ranked kid from NJ) but people love to talk about Josh hough. It’s so flipping strange to me.

Seriously….we have an all American back (also a transfer and highly ranked kid from NJ) but people love to talk about Josh hough. It’s so flipping strange to me.

Josh Hough is the short yardage, goal line back that I thought Abdul Adams was going to be for us.
The kid really delivers a hit at the point of contact. He runs the ball like a linebacker. I hope he can get healthy by fall.

I'm not discounting or overlooking Sean or our transfer
I'm just excited to see the tank that I hope Josh Hough is

Seriously, if he's mobile like he was in high school that kid is an M1 Abrams that can make cuts. Scary

I'm not discounting or overlooking Sean or our transfer
I'm just excited to see the tank that I hope Josh Hough is

Seriously, if he's mobile like he was in high school that kid is an M1 Abrams that can make cuts. Scary
I understand, I wish he does live up to it.

The composition of the OL -- specifically, who emerges at C.

Incremental improvement from Shrader in terms of his accuracy.

How Villari and Lamson look in the new system.

Whether the WR corps has taken the next step, now that the young bucks have are more experienced.

How the TEs will be used with two new guys leading the offensive system.

What the DL can do, with so many key contributors gone.

Who seems to be in line for 2nd string RB snaps.

Last edited:
Signs of Hatcher, OG, Williams and Pena maturing into the O.

I understand, I wish he does live up to it.

My excitement is only the thought that once Cuse gets inside the 5 it's an automatic TD with him running over people. That for me is a nice to have.

For the most part the Spring game will not tell us much as a ton can change between now and Game 1. That being said, last season the outside WRs were nonexistent so it would be nice to see them have a pulse during the Spring game. That will at least give some confidence in a Bowl next season.

It's not strange if you watch his highlights. Kid is huge and he can run - exactly the kind of punishing back we haven't had since Jerome Smith. I'm pumped just to see the kid move around on the practice field.