Whats our weakest position | Syracusefan.com

Whats our weakest position

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
Ottomets post about it had me thinking it would be a good topic. Weakest could mean by experience , production, or depth. This isnt to knock any players its just to look at where we need help.

Ottomets post about had me thinking it would be a good topic. Weakest could mean by experience , production or depth. This isnt to knock any players just to look at as where we need help.

As far as the current team is concerned, guard depth is our biggest vulnerability. We have above average talent at all five positions on the floor.

PF by a lot. We don't have one.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Power forward. We might not have one until McCullough arrives. We'll see if Roberson can play there.

By depth, power forward. I maintain that Christmas is a four and a good four at that. But there's no one behind him who is any kind of traditional power forward. (I don't know that that's a real problem. When's the last time Syracuse has had an actual four? Terrence Roberts? We've been getting by reasonably well with Fair and Southerland types; that we have Christmas as a starter puts us into a good position.) Don't have a lot of guard depth there, either, but our guards tend to log more minutes than bigs, anyway, so it shouldn't present as much of a problem.

By production - and this matters more to me (and led me to think of Zeller in the "add a player" thread) - the center spot is the biggest weakness. As of today, we're no better than adequate at the five. It's a position from which our offensive production has been (and is likely to continue to be) limited. When Coleman's out there, our defense at center is shakier than it is at any position. Keita has been solid, but he's not significantly better than his counterparts to the same degree that his teammates will be better than their opponents.

There's a lot of room for growth at this position, of course. But adding a hugely productive center would make a bigger positive impact on this team than would adding a comparably-talented player at any other position. That's our weak link.

Depth at guard, depth at 4, a good scoring threat at center. In that order.

Cooney I don't think is ready for prime time this year. Going 1-7 from 3 or whatever he did last game is unacceptable when we play conference games or in the tournament. That will be a loss.

Rak might not see much floor when we need to score forcing us to play South+Fair so we are playing two Small Forwards.

And finally, we don't have a center who can create a shot for himself or has a back to the basket type of game (think Onuaku).

Great topic! But, I wonder if we've become a little spoiled from last year and early on this year with the talented depth that we have on this team. Those before me have pointed out "weaknesses" at guard depth, PF and center but not many teams (if any) out there have 3 serviceable centers and none have an extra MCW waiting on the bench in case the first MCW goes out.

The good news is, regardless of which position is currently our weakest, we are very likely to get stronger there. Right now Keita is our best performing all-around center but I feel that quite soon Coleman's offensive and rebounding abilities will far outweigh his defensive deficiencies. And, I think his defense too is bound to improve, hopefully sooner than later.

Our guard situation may be a little thin but it’s far from bleak. Of course we can ill afford to lose MCW for any length of time. It would be akin to losing Melo last year in that he is the one player that we cannot be an elite team without. But, I'm still comfortable with Triche at point when Michael needs a breather and he's played well at the 2 so far this year with some creativity, better control and getting to the rim. If Cooney can find any sort of offensive rhythm, he's already demonstrated fantastic defensive tenacity, we should be fine.

The PF is the true weak point right now. Rak is adequate and shows signs of progress and improvement but may not truly break through as a dominant 4 this year. I wonder if JB might experiment a little more with Coleman at the 4 and Rak and Keita splitting center duties.

As I see it, any one of these weaknesses could actually develop into a strength throughout this season. MCW has got to stay healthy and DC just needs to keep improving. We're much better off than most teams, by far.

Our weaknesses would be considered most other team's strengths. We're at least solid at every position IMHO. Far better than being Kentucky with 4 or 5 talented players and a huge hole at point guard.

I remember when that clown sportswriter was not rating us in one of the polls because of his method of ranking teams on players in the top 25 at their position or whatever BS he was dishing out - by the way, has he ranked us yet?

I think you can make a solid argument that we have a top 25 PG, SF, SG, Front Court and sixth man. Neither Coleman or Christmas may be ranked among the top 25 at their respective positions yet but I guarantee other coaches and NBA scouts would take that combo with Baye thrown in over most in college basketball.

Throw in a HOF coach and I love our chances this year with no superteam playing hoops this year as opposed to last years Kentucky team. Let's Go Orange!

Just when I thought igor was out... Funny post

Don't worry--he'll only disappear when we get on a roll this season and remain in the top 10 beyond the preseason portion of the schedule. Then, amazingly--his internet access will disappear.

I think if you are considering production it is PF (center production has more to do with block shots and rebounding than scoring in our system) but if the question is about talent then it is shooting guard hands down.

I think if you are considering production it is PF (center production has more to do with block shots and rebounding than scoring in our system) but if the question is about talent then it is shooting guard hands down.
Bingo. Couldn't agree more.

PF? you guys are nuts. Rak is the best 4 we've had in a decade; it is board favorite CJ Fair's best position, and DC2 could provide more than serviceable minutes there.

We won't get a lot of points from that position night in night out only because we won't have to. But it is a position of both depth and quality.

PF? you guys are nuts. Rak is the best 4 we've had in a decade; it is board favorite CJ Fair's best position, and DC2 could provide more than serviceable minutes there.

We won't get a lot of points from that position night in night out only because we won't have to. But it is a position of both depth and quality.
Moqui: is that Superstar Billy Graham as your avatar?

the infamous Ox Baker
Hmmm...I consider myself to be a big wrestling fan and know a lot about the history of the business but don't know too much about him. I'll have to look him up. The name definitely rings a bell.

We don't have a true backup for Christmas, but I don't anyone will be complaining about Fair or Southerland's production in those minutes.

It's not uncommon for Syracuse to use an unorthodox lineup and stick a tweener in at the four; this year we're finally starting a true four and playing him for more than 20 minutes a game and people find that wanting. I can't say I get it.

Yep, the 2 deep at PF is better than about 90% of tournament quality teams. On the other hand, the 2 deep at SG will be better than only about 50% of those same teams IMO.

Yep, the 2 deep at PF is better than about 90% of tournament quality teams. On the other hand, the 2 deep at SG will be better than only about 50% of those same teams IMO.

Perhaps, but the starting SG will be better than at least 80% of the starting SGs of tournament teams.

Rak ia doing a good job, but he's not a natural 4. His skill set is a 5. We dont always have it but a JB 4 can handle a bit and hit a jumper. Fair is a 3 who needs to improve his shot. His size is not a 4. We have 3 guards, 3 SF's and 3 centers. Grant is the closest to a true 4 for us but isn't ready yet and needs to get stronger.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom