When does the government get involved? | Syracusefan.com

When does the government get involved?

cuse522

2nd String
It looks more and more like the ACC and Big 12 are on a collision course and one will not survive. If that's the case, at some point, there are going to be prominent state schools left out of the super-conference mix.

At that point, I'd have to imagine that lawsuits and government action will be discussed - I mean to some extent, they already have... I don't know whether they're going to be successful or not, but what is the end-end-game here?

Let's say you have four conferences of 18 or 20, and 5-10 schools on the outside looking in that "deserve" seats at the table. Do they go to even BIGGER conferences at that point? I mean, if you're in the "ACC North" or the "Big 12 East" and your division of the conference has 11 or 12 teams, aren't you basically just in the Big East again as a division?

The only difference being the title game between the two sides, I suppose.

When is the NCAA going to get involved? I've been asking that question for a long, long time.

What a useless organization.

There should be a group of paid NCAA officials who have final say in things like conference expansion, etc.

This has become like a group of 10-year-olds trading baseball cards in someone's backyard.

An ABSOLUTE joke. College sports has become a mockery.

Earlier this year the NCAA dropped their regulation of the bowl tie-ins, essentially giving the conferences all of the authority. If nothing else, the NCAA is backing away managing conferences.

I hope never. They have far more important things to worry about.

Besides, they muck up everything they touch.

I hope never. They have far more important things to worry about.

Besides, they muck up everything they touch.

I would agree, except that these greedy schools don't pay NEARLY enough in taxes given the absurd revenue they are now generating.

Earlier this year the NCAA dropped their regulation of the bowl tie-ins, essentially giving the conferences all of the authority. If nothing else, the NCAA is backing away managing conferences.

Don't blame them, where would they find the time. They have to review the transfer requests from at least a dozen football players. You know, to make sure any one school isn't getting some kind of competitive advantage. If we ever have that, we'd have chaos!

Wait.

They can't and shouldn't this is the free market. While I don't like it is fair and we can't complain.

When is the NCAA going to get involved? I've been asking that question for a long, long time.

What a useless organization.

There should be a group of paid NCAA officials who have final say in things like conference expansion, etc.

This has become like a group of 10-year-olds trading baseball cards in someone's backyard.

An ABSOLUTE joke. College sports has become a mockery.
The NCAA really can't get involved. When the NCAA starts regulating the conferences in what they do, conferences will just leave the NCAA. For the big-boy conferences, the NCAA needs them more than they need the NCAA.

I would agree, except that these greedy schools don't pay NEARLY enough in taxes given the absurd revenue they are now generating.

Well you have a point if you are suggesting that the only thing the govt is really good at is creating taxes.

I would personally love to see an IRS review of Alabama's or Ohio State's tax exempt status. Just to make trouble for them mind you. I don't think anything would come of it.

I'd like to see the government get involved with cable programming rate structures. I don't want to pay a buck-something a month to have MD in the B1G.

They can't and shouldn't this is the free market. While I don't like it is fair and we can't complain.

That's not entirely true, given that state schools get funding from tax payers. When something funded by tax payers is being screwed over financially, the government can get involved...

I'd like to see the government get involved with cable programming rate structures. I don't want to pay a buck-something a month to have MD in the B1G.

Agree. I personally could care less about the SEC or Big 12. If I'm ever forced to carry a SEC network or TLN I'll be very unhappy.

I would personally love to see an IRS review of Alabama's or Ohio State's tax exempt status. Just to make trouble for them mind you. I don't think anything would come of it.

Yeah, not sure what the IRS would even be looking for. Just because they make money does not mean they would lose their tax exempt status.

Then don't get that channel or the group of channels that channel is grouped with. Problem solved. Government can't and shouldn't solve all problems.

Well, I certainly wouldn't want the U.S. Government to step in. But college athletics is not really a free market either.

Then don't get that channel or the group of channels that channel is grouped with. Problem solved. Government can't and shouldn't solve all problems.
The bundling is excessive. It's like Comcast Choice A: Local Programming with no HD $20 a month, or Comcast Choice B: 400 channels in HD, $80 a month.

The Government? Ha ha ha ha.

Yeah. they'll fix things. They might want to work on fixing the Post Office and the TSA and a few other things first.

The Government? Man, that's rich!

I'd like the government to allow beer purchases to be tax deductible.
We need to form the Beer Party. NO TAXATION WITHOUT INEBRIATION!!!!!

It looks more and more like the ACC and Big 12 are on a collision course and one will not survive. If that's the case, at some point, there are going to be prominent state schools left out of the super-conference mix.

At that point, I'd have to imagine that lawsuits and government action will be discussed - I mean to some extent, they already have... I don't know whether they're going to be successful or not, but what is the end-end-game here?

Let's say you have four conferences of 18 or 20, and 5-10 schools on the outside looking in that "deserve" seats at the table. Do they go to even BIGGER conferences at that point? I mean, if you're in the "ACC North" or the "Big 12 East" and your division of the conference has 11 or 12 teams, aren't you basically just in the Big East again as a division?

The only difference being the title game between the two sides, I suppose.
The government got involved. The already indebted state governments of MD and NJ bankrolled these inept institutions.

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting that the government SHOULD get involved and trying to spark that debate... I'll leave my opinion on that out. I try to avoid mixing politics and sports, but without getting into size of government, the constitution, etc, I think everyone can agree our country has bigger problems than conference realignment, annoying though it may be.

I was just asking when people expected it to happen and what impact it will have on the process. If the government was able to get involved in steroids in baseball, it can certainly get involved in this at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom