When the league goes to 18 teams, I guess we will | Syracusefan.com

When the league goes to 18 teams, I guess we will

dasher

Living Legend
B.C and Pitt twice and just about everyone else once with ony mystery team every year.

Last edited:
B.c and Pitt twice and just about everyone else once with ony mystery team every year.
Sounds right.

I know for the ACC women, who only play 18 conference games today and will continue to do that, each team is going to be assigned a rival, who they will play home and home.

And one game each against everyone else In the league.

Was surprised to read this given how the NC schools have special requirements because of their special relationships, blah blah blah.

The rivals have not been announced yet but speculation on the Boneyard is that our rival will be BC. And Pitt will get SMU.

Sounds right.

I know for the ACC women, who only play 18 conference games today and will continue to do that, each team is going to be assigned a rival, who they will play home and home.

And one game each against everyone else In the league.

Was surprised to read this given how the NC schools have special requirements because of their special relationships, blah blah blah.

The rivals have not been announced yet but speculation on the Boneyard is that our rival will be BC. And Pitt will get SMU.
Why in the world would the Boneyard care or give 2 seconds to thinking about who our woman's rival will be? Yeah, I was on the Alabama football board and they were also thinking it would be B.C.

I think Pitt will be our rival. Also I would think we would get Louisville and Notre Dame before we get BC.

Would they pick the closest teams to each other to minimize travel costs, with west coast trips coming up?

I hate playing BC twice. Nothing good comes of it. If we win we were supposed to and if we lose it’s a black eye. I’d rather it be someone else.
Agree, which is why I'd much rather it be Pitt.

With more conference games how well can conferences even be compared for rankings? Seems like there will be less “out of conference” games and with larger conference members with their unbalanced inter conference game schedules, even ranking teams inside each conference will be murkier, less attempting to compare teams with other Conference teams. With the transfer portal and team rosters changing more drastically from year to year, does it make sense to rely on early season out of conference games to rank competitiveness and comparisons for the end of year tournaments?

With more conference games how well can conferences even be compared for rankings? Seems like there will be less “out of conference” games and with larger conference members with their unbalanced inter conference game schedules, even ranking teams inside each conference will be murkier, less attempting to compare teams with other Conference teams. With the transfer portal and team rosters changing more drastically from year to year, does it make sense to rely on early season out of conference games to rank competitiveness and comparisons for the end of year tournaments?
Conference games are staying at 20

I hate playing BC twice. Nothing good comes of it. If we win we were supposed to and if we lose it’s a black eye. I’d rather it be someone else.

It's also a boring atmosphere when we play there. It's basically only good for SU alum who are in MA

Conference games are staying at 20
Yes and look at our NCAA tournament representation since then. Darn poor. In the 5 years before we went to 20 games (not counting Covid year 2020) the ACC had 5 teams (2019), 3 teams (2018), 4 teams (2017), 4 teams ( 2016) and 5 teams ( 2015) in the NCAA’s with seeds of 4 or less. Since then we have had just 2 teams in 2021 with both being 4 seeds, in the 2022 only 1 team, Duke, had a 4 seed or lower (they were a 2 seed) with next lowest seed being UNC at an 8 seed, and in 2023 only Virginia had a 4 seed or lower, the next seed was #5 Miami. This year it sure doesn’t look good for multiple ACC teams having good seeds either.

The ACC way back from 1979 even when they had only 9 teams, did the ACC ever have only 1 team with a top 4 seed or lower till 2021 when we added games. Relevant or not? Just wondering. The last 3 years we’ve had 2 teams once then 1 team twice, in the last 3 years with low seeds. The more teams, the more games, maybe a combo added with the on loss of aging legendary and then new coaches, transfer portal, NIL etc - the ACC‘s place in college basketball has diminished which sadly is reflected in their latest NCAA seeds. I’m just questioning if more conference games, along with less out of conference games which are mostly played at the beginning of seasons hurts us too. Just hoping this recent history changes somehow.

Now the ACC itself is keeping 25% of their conference (5 out of 20) from even competing in the ACC tournament. Strange times indeed.

I would bet on it being B.C. The only other possibility would be Pitt. But I would bet on B.C.
Is it mainly due to who else would get BC? I just think from the networks perspective, especially if we become perennial top 25 again, they would want to pair us with a more recent Big East rival like Pitt, Louisville, or Notre Dame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom