When was the last time a championship team had a long swoon and bounced back??? | Syracusefan.com

When was the last time a championship team had a long swoon and bounced back???

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
I can't really think of one off the top of my head. We have a chance to be different. :)

Connecticut 2011.

I don't know if I would count them they were more of a not so good team that peaked, then a good team that hit a rough patch.

Although Ville last year had a rough stretch they were kind of in the same boat, alittle overated early on. Hard to discredit siva, smith and dieng early on though. They all had some experience.

Tournament is so dependent on matchups. You can only play the hand you're dealt. Sometimes it's great (last year), sometimes it's not (2011).

I don't know if I would count them they were more of a not so good team that peaked, then a good team that hit a rough patch

I don't think you can call them a not-so good team when you consider the talent and age. I believe by the end of the tourney, they were as good or better than anyone in the country that year.

In retrospect, that team had a lot more talent than people thought at the time. It was just young. Kemba is turning into a great pro, Lamb is getting to be a solid pro. Roscoe Smith a just about the best rebounder in the country & Napier is proving to have a very high BB IQ.

They were just young and figuring out how to play together.

And the BE was really, really tough that year. I wouldn't be surprised if this years's SU team would have 4 or 5 conference losses that year.

Wow, that's great you could stop by and enlighten us!

I don't know if I would count them they were more of a not so good team that peaked, then a good team that hit a rough patch.

Although Ville last year had a rough stretch they were kind of in the same boat, alittle overated early on. Hard to discredit siva, smith and dieng early on though. They all had some experience.

You're making up rules. :crazy:

Are 3 losses really considered a "swoon" if 2 are on the road to RPI top 10 teams? It's not like SU was favored in either of those games.

Are 3 losses really considered a "swoon" if 2 are on the road to RPI top 10 teams? It's not like SU was favored in either of those games.

Team was lucky to pull some of those games out - let's not forget. Pitt, NCST, MD easily could have been in the L column (particularly Pitt and NCST - which were nothing more than miraculous). Throw in the home loss to BC of all teams - I say it's fair to say the swoon is on.

Losing 3 of 4 games is not a major swoon in today's college basketball world. A lot of recent NCAA champs have done it as did all of last year's Final Four teams. Louisville lost three in a row in 2013.

Many of the major programs today have to totally rebuild every season and the best teams in the top conferences go through stretches like this a lot more than they once did. The constant player turnover at the top programs has created much more parity in college hoops and the top 10 now features many good teams, but no great teams.

Back in the days when star players stayed in school through their senior year, college hoops was dominated by great teams. The top teams of the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s rarely lost three games in a month and the best ones rarely lost three conference games in a season. Losing 3 of 4 back then would have been a major swoon. Every NCAA Tournament champ between 1960 and 1978 lost no more than three games the entire season except Marquette which lost seven games. They were the only title team during that period that ever lost out 3 of 4.

A number of NCAA champs in 80s had one of these swoons but there weren't many for title teams of the 90s. This occurs much more frequently today as really great teams have disappeared from college basketball.