When was the last time an SU team was so allergic to fast breaks? | Syracusefan.com

When was the last time an SU team was so allergic to fast breaks?

Lawrinson14

Master Image Editor
In years past, in seemed like even if SU could not hit 3's or jumpers they would at least be able to score some in transition.

This year's team seems completely allergic to fast break points. It's almost to the point of comical watching a 2- on-1 or 3-on-2 become halted as Tyler dribbles into the three point line only to u-turn back towards half court.

People used to rip on the B10 for their pace of play, but ours this year is worse than any B10 team I can remember.

In years past, in seemed like even if SU could not hit 3's or jumpers they would at least be able to score some in transition.

This year's team seems completely allergic to fast break points. It's almost to the point of comical watching a 2- on-1 or 3-on-2 become halted as Tyler dribbles into the three point line only to u-turn back towards half court.

People used to rip on the B10 for their pace of play, but ours this year is worse than any B10 team I can remember.

I have wondered on more than one occasion if he is doing it because JB wants the pace to be slow given our lack of depth.

Probably just prior to the national championship team. There was a few year there we didn't rebound well or turn people over.

I have been confused by the lack of fast break opportunities all year??? I seriously wonder if it is coaching instructing Ennis not to try for this so to cut down on fast breaks. He tried it last night once and it did result in a fast break the other way with his intercepted pass. I agree it may have to do with lack of depth and protecing people but I have never seen a SU team slow it down like this one.

TE doesn't seem comfortable with a fast pace and pushing to the glass.
He's been praised for always playing under control...at his tempo...not letting anyone speed him up.
But that also has a downside...no running.

The flip side of that is who can run the break with TE?
CJ is the only reliable big with the ability to both handle and finish.
It's not like he's Sherman Douglas with the options of finding Coleman or Seikaly or Triche...or Greg Monroe for an open jumper.

it is prob compounded by the fact that carter williams was really special on the fast break.

SU was just as bad last year with MCW. Are you're memories that poor? Last years team was also horrendous on offense They were worse than this years team. You have to start blaming the system.

I think it is all Tyler Ennis
Ding Ding Ding! Fair, Grant and Christmas were born to run and finish on fast breaks. Its hard to criticize Ennis seeing as though he leads the conference in assists and steals and hardly ever turns the ball over. But when you have the top 2 players in the conference in steals you would think a few more fast breaks would result. Even Roberson tried to run last night but Ennis tried to throw a flat pass right through a Tech player that was easily stolen.

Ding Ding Ding! Fair, Grant and Christmas were born to run and finish on fast breaks. Its hard to criticize Ennis seeing as though he leads the conference in assists and steals and hardly ever turns the ball over. But when you have the top 2 players in the conference in steals you would think a few more fast breaks would result. Even Roberson tried to run last night but Ennis tried to throw a flat pass right through a Tech player that was easily stolen.
not to mention when we are struggling to score maybe a few more chances on fast breaks might help get us going

Also, when opposing centers hedge out on him and our screener breaks towards the basket, he doesn't ever try to pass the ball to the cutter. I understand not wanting to give it to Baye, but Christmas could handle the pass. It happens over and over, and we never make the other team pay for the center hedging out, so times 5 feet beyond the 3 point line. Just bad, boring offense. Double screen for CJ...then do it again.

Also, when opposing centers hedge out on him and our screener breaks towards the basket, he doesn't ever try to pass the ball to the cutter. I understand not wanting to give it to Baye, but Christmas could handle the pass. It happens over and over, and we never make the other team pay for the center hedging out, so times 5 feet beyond the 3 point line. Just bad, boring offense. Double screen for CJ...then do it again.
I believe he tried it once against UVA and Rak slammed it home.

This is just flat out wrong. Last year was just as bad with MCW. How do you explain that? Was that all his fault too? Was he tentative also?

I think the issue on breaks have been that TE is looking for Cooney first and trying to set him up in transition. Opponents have keyed on that and are locking Cooney up pretty early in transition and taking away that chance. By that time Ennis has already pulled up around or just inside of the 3-point line and the transition chance is pretty much gone.

I haven't noticed many times where any of the forwards have been running along with Ennis when pushing the pace, it's usually just Ennis and Cooney out ahead and the forwards are lagging behind and the numbers even out. It is definitely something that can be improved, and will have to be to get some sort of offense going heading into the tournaments.

good post i agree

This is just flat out wrong. Last year was just as bad with MCW. How do you explain that? Was that all his fault too? Was he tentative also?
You must have been watching some other team last year. MCW was tremendous on the break as a finisher and finding Triche and JSouth and Grant. That had a lot to do with the FF run last season, much more so than efficient 1/2 court offense or getting hot from outside.

One of the benefits of the zone is that the guards are always in position to fast break and everyone knows their lanes. this is the first cuse team I've ever seen that does not fast break as often as possible.

Fast breaks start with rebounding. We are next to last in defensive rebounds per game in the ACC.

This could account for us not having many fast breaks, but unless we averaged zero defensive rebounds per game, it doesn't necessarily address the fact that we NEVER fast break.

Fast breaks start with rebounding. We are next to last in defensive rebounds per game in the ACC.

And many of the fast breaks last year were off of steals up top.

This could account for us not having many fast breaks, but unless we averaged zero defensive rebounds per game, it doesn't necessarily address the fact that we NEVER fast break.

Don't disagree. But as I said in another thread, it is intentional. When we get a rebound, Ennis comes back for the ball instead of heading up court to an open area for an outlet pass. All you have to do us watch the bigs and how they act when they get a rebound.

Don't disagree. But as I said in another thread, it is intentional. When we get a rebound, Ennis comes back for the ball instead of heading up court to an open area for an outlet pass. All you have to do us watch the bigs and how they act when they get a rebound.

I agree. The deliberate pace is just...well, boring, and doesn't seem to be working in our favor any longer.

We could have used some DaJuan Coleman coast to coast fast breaks...oh well, maybe next year. :) I still remember that one drive he had from the three point line against one of our cupcakes, I think it even included a spin move or two...lol

And many of the fast breaks last year were off of steals up top.

Ennis and Cooney average exactly the same number of steals as MCW and Triche did. While Ennis and Cooney are equal in steaks, MCW had many more than Triche and MCW was the best of the 4 in taking a steal down court for a basket. But, I will say that I have seen plenty of layups and dunks this year too. Steals leading to fast break baskets doesn't play a role in whether the team is a good or bad fast break team.

I agree. The deliberate pace is just...well, boring, and doesn't seem to be working in our favor any longer.

We could have used some DaJuan Coleman coast to coast fast breaks...oh well, maybe next year. :) I still remember that one drive he had from the three point line against one of our cupcakes, I think it even included a spin move or two...lol

Another point is that we never "leak" anyone out because we need players on the board or in the case of the guards many times, to stay back and play defense in case of an offensive rebound and pass back out to a guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom