when will Battle announce something? | Syracusefan.com

when will Battle announce something?

Shark58

BANNED
NBA Draft 2018: The six college basketball players with the most agonizing stay-or-go decisions

Tyus Battle, Syracuse

Let's start things off with a player who I am surprised has not even publicly declared for the draft as of this story's publishing. With that, I'm inclined to think Battle, whenever he announces, will either say he's gone for good (i.e., no "testing the waters") or is bypassing all of this and will return to Syracuse.

And if those are the two options, it's only reasonable to lean with the former.

But Battle's got a curious choice. He's projected by some to be a first round pick now. After helping Syracuse make the Sweet 16, Battle's stock clearly got a nice bump in March. He averaged 19.2 points, 2.9 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.5 steals for the Orange. He was the most played player in college basketball this season. Battle played in 96.2 percent of Syracuse's minutes, more than anyone else in Division I.

So his numbers were helped with that much playing time, but I'll also note he shot 45.2 percent from 2 and just 32.2 from 3. At 6-6 and weighing approximately 210 pounds, Battle has the physique of an NBA player and probably will bulk up well, and quickly, at the next level. If he comes back, his numbers might stay level -- but could he become even more efficient? If that happens, and if Syracuse can be better next season (which I think happens), Battle could bump from that 28-34 range to potentially that 20-26 slot.

Ultimately, he was a good-not-great college player. Another year playing for a Hall of Fame coach could vault him to a higher level. But since it's Syracuse, and since that 2-3 zone doesn't do much to boost a prospect's chances on the defensive end, Battle's got a lot to think about.

somber.gif

And there’s the uninformed 2-3 zone dig. At least the Duke guys going high this year will provide an easy way to shoot that down with zero effort required...if the 9 out of 10 years with a first rounder for Syracuse didn’t already do that.

And there’s the uninformed 2-3 zone dig. At least the Duke guys going high this year will provide an easy way to shoot that down with zero effort required...if the 9 out of 10 years with a first rounder for Syracuse didn’t already do that.

They NEVER stop.

This unsupported claim is now baked into the thinking of some of our posters. It has gone from being a concept to an article of faith.

Battle could have tested the waters last year and few would have been shocked. There is no chance he will return to Syracuse without testing them first this time around, and very little chance he will be returning under any circumstances.

Damn it, I just posted in another Battle thread.

They NEVER stop.

This unsupported claim is now baked into the thinking of some of our posters. It has gone from being a concept to an article of faith.

It’s just such a lazy take. Gets tiring.

Here’s my hot take...the way most colleges play man to man defense does nothing to prepare those guys for the NBA since the NBA actually consistently calls fouls on the perimeter and having help defenders undercutting players as they drive to the basket is not an acceptable and rewarded defensive strategy at that level.

"...and since that 2-3 zone doesn't do much to boost a prospect's chances on the defensive end..."

Doesn't say it hurts. Just that it doesn't help. So much sensitivity...

Battle could have tested the waters last year and few would have been shocked. There is no chance he will return to Syracuse without testing them first this time around, and very little chance he will be returning under any circumstances.

Damn it, I just posted in another Battle thread.
That's a reach.

They NEVER stop.

The good old echo chamber trick . Seems very common in journalism and just about every social media outlet these days .

If Battle does return, what would JB do with six (if my math is right) scholie guards?

Could we see one or two red shirts? Guard playing some time at forward?

Certainly a dilemma we have not had to face in recent years.

"...and since that 2-3 zone doesn't do much to boost a prospect's chances on the defensive end..."

Doesn't say it hurts. Just that it doesn't help. So much sensitivity...

It was brought up in a negative context, when the facts would seem to suggest college defensive scheme is irrelevant to draft position.

... At 6-6 and weighing approximately 210 pounds, Battle has the physique of an NBA player and probably will bulk up well, and quickly, at the next level. ...

This is a funny throwaway line. Translation: steroid use is rampant in the NBA.

Tyus is returning!

Some books to the library. Then he’s going to settle in for a drawn out comtemplation of his playing future.