Where are all the billboards?! (and other advertising) | Syracusefan.com

Where are all the billboards?! (and other advertising)

JSOrange97

All Conference
Just had to pull a 1 day trip from NJ to Syracuse and back for a business meeting today. Not one sign or billboard for SU Football along the Scranton-Binghamton-Syracuse I-81 corridor, nor did I see a single one in Syracuse on 690 East of I-81... What gives?

Ok, we're not supposed to talk about Rutgers any more, but here in NJ Rutgers is almost obnoxious with the amount of billboards they've put up in Northern and Central NJ.

I can't believe we don't even advertise in our own city!

Edit: I did go over to campus and they did have a portable billboard driving around advertising Fan Fest... so there was that.

Just had to pull a 1 day trip from NJ to Syracuse and back for a business meeting today. Not one sign or billboard for SU Football along the Scranton-Binghamton-Syracuse I-81 corridor, nor did I see a single one in Syracuse on 690 East of I-81... What gives?

Ok, we're not supposed to talk about Rutgers any more, but here in NJ Rutgers is almost obnoxious with the amount of billboards they've put up in Northern and Central NJ.

Edit: I did go over to campus and they did have a portable billboard driving around advertising Fan Fest... so there was that.
SU FB is ubiquitous. It doesn't need advertising.

There is (or at least was as of last Sunday) a billboard on 81 north as you enter the city: "Syracuse is NY's college team"

How many did you see for Ped State? ...Zero, right? They don't need to advertise.

Let Buttgers advertise all they want--they need all the help they can get to try to remain relevant in people's minds. Please don't compare us to them.

There is (or at least was as of last Sunday) a billboard on 81 north as you enter the city: "Syracuse is NY's college team"

How many did you see for Ped State? ...Zero, right? They don't need to advertise.

Let Buttgers advertise all they want--they need all the help they can get to try to remain relevant in people's minds. Please don't compare us to them.
Must have missed the one as you enter the city. Is that the one that is usually right near campus on the East side of I-81?

Right, didn't see any for Ped State as you are right they don't need to advertise. However, we haven't had a sellout in ages, so we need more outreach.

I know people hate the Rutgers references, but it is sort of relevant as their ads are already calling out their new conference affiliation with their "Big Ten is in, RU next?" Campaign. I would have thought we would want to pull out all of the stops stops and capitalize on our move to the ACC.

There is a corny billboard here in NJ

"The Big 10 is committed, RU?"

There is a corny billboard here in NJ

"The Big 10 is committed, RU?"
Those are the ones I was referring to, which I didn't exactly get the quote correct in my post above. But those darn things are everywhere.

I did see a billboard on the Garden State Parkway advertising the Penn St game but it's one of those billboards that flash an add every minute and I haven't seen it since.

Army Football has a billboard on NJ17 about 10 miles from MetLife. I found that interesting.

Army Football has a billboard on NJ17 about 10 miles from MetLife. I found that interesting.

Army has small billboards (bus cards, basically) up all over the Metro-North commuter line down here.

What's the correlation of # of billboards to ticket sales? Anyone here in advertising that would know that? I'm guessing billboards don't generate a lot of ticket sales. I would bet that ads in local papers, tv/radio and internet pop-ups that show the home schedule would be the best use of marketing $.

i see the big block Orange S everyday as i drive by GIANTS Stadium.

probably for at least 6 months now.

that orange S is reaching millions of people, i wonder how much that advertising cost??

oh yeah...ZERO.

the school is actually GETTING $$ for that.

Oh Lord

I recommended to SU they put a specialized billboard on I-81 somewhere north of Pulaski thanking the Ft Drum/NNY Community.

Something like: "NY's College Team Thanks Our Hero's of Ft Drum for all you do." Throw in the crest of the 10th Mountain Division and a picture of Shafer and the Fall Schedule.

Everyday a bunch of Ft Drum people drive between Syracuse and Watertown.

I also told them they should ask car dealers FX Caprara or Fuccillo to sponsor 100 seats for soldiers and family members at the Dome. Work with the Army to provide two buses for those who can't afford to drive down. Allow the buses to park somewhere on campus. SU should be able to give each soldier a food voucher card with $xx amount on it.

I would help underwrite this with a donation...I know many of you reading this would send in some money too.

What's the correlation of # of billboards to ticket sales? Anyone here in advertising that would know that? I'm guessing billboards don't generate a lot of ticket sales. I would bet that ads in local papers, tv/radio and internet pop-ups that show the home schedule would be the best use of marketing $.
Advertising/marketing is tricky, it might not translate into immediate ticket sales but it does translate into mental real estate! It's different for everyone, a middle aged man could see the SU billboard every day for a year and then turns on the TV and sees the Cuse playing and then starts routing for them and maybe starts momentum of this person following them more and more. That is the hope of advertising.

Must have missed the one as you enter the city. Is that the one that is usually right near campus on the East side of I-81?

Right, didn't see any for Ped State as you are right they don't need to advertise. However, we haven't had a sellout in ages, so we need more outreach.

I know people hate the Rutgers references, but it is sort of relevant as their ads are already calling out their new conference affiliation with their "Big Ten is in, RU next?" Campaign. I would have thought we would want to pull out all of the stops stops and capitalize on our move to the ACC.

That's the one!

Show YOUR commitment--go to Fan Fest today--grab some schedules and posters--pass them out to friends and relatives--do your part to pack the Dome!

Army also advertises on the Metro North

That's the one!

Show YOUR commitment--go to Fan Fest today--grab some schedules and posters--pass them out to friends and relatives--do your part to pack the Dome!
I'd love to, but it was a one day trip - I live and work down in NJ and am back here today.

However, I am showing my support by going to MetLife (with 4 others in my group), the Maryland game, AND I just bought season tickets. Also dropped a couple hundred on Orange garb yesterday as well. I will represent here from the Jersey Shore!