Where are all the great NE recruiters from the | Syracusefan.com

Where are all the great NE recruiters from the

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
marrone staff? Shafer was our Florida guy, Marrone, Anselmo and Moore were NE guys.

Adkins was JUCO and South, Hackett and Wheatley weren't NE guys. I don't get all the handwringing over the great NE football talent. Keep Anselmo for a year or so, give somebody the lay of the land down there and continue to build, I get the downstate deal. Moore is a Long Island guy but apparntly everyone has written him off as a recruiter because of NJ, Moore will be fine

New Jersey?? Well what can you do will take time, that relationship was torched but I am one that feels NJ is not really worth the hassle, ( Just my opinion) Hey, if you bring ina guy that can really recuit there than great but you can't just send somebody in there with no ties to the area

In addition, marrone proved to be an average recruiter at best, great developer of talent, IMO but not a great recruiter. Certainly would not call him a closer

That said, we may be sacrificing a bit of NE experience for a tremendous presence in Western Pa and Ohio, correct me if I am wrong here but more talent there than in the Northeast? Need a RB coach with Florida ties or to the South, mid atlantic maybe... Cover PA and cover downstate and maybe someday repair NJ... Ohio and Western Pa arent that big of a reach... This isn't 1985.

This Lea is suppose to be a hell of a recruiter and the new DC is from NY as well... I guess I am not following the logic, we aren't talking West Coast guys we are talking Ohio, Michigan, Western Pa. Keep Anselmo downstate, Moore as well, it will be fine.

I would be more worried about replacing Adkins at the JUCO and Southern states... Like I said, Jersey was torched by marrone when he ran GROB's Hofstra type guys out. His choice, pros and cons there, I don't necessariliy disagree with changing the culture when it needed it

Marrone did a solid job in many areas but he wasn't a dynamic recruiter, keep the NYC pipeline everything else is up for debate. Geeze

marrone staff? Shafer was our Florida guy, Marrone, Anselmo and Moore were NE guys.

Adkins was JUCO and South, Hackett and Wheatley weren't NE guys. I don't get all the handwringing over the great NE football talent. Keep Anselmo for a year or so, give somebody the lay of the land down there and continue to build, I get the downstate deal. Moore is a Long Island guy but apparntly everyone has written him off as a recruiter because of NJ, Moore will be fine

New Jersey?? Well what can you do will take time, that relationship was torched but I am one that feels NJ is not really worth the hassle, ( Just my opinion) Hey, if you bring ina guy that can really recuit there than great but you can't just send somebody in there with no ties to the area

In addition, marrone proved to be an average recruiter at best, great developer of talent, IMO but not a great recruiter. Certainly would not call him a closer

That said, we may be sacrificing a bit of NE experience for a tremendous presence in Western Pa and Ohio, correct me if I am wrong here but more talent there than in the Northeast? Need a RB coach with Florida ties or to the South, mid atlantic maybe... Cover PA and cover downstate and maybe someday repair NJ... Ohio and Western Pa arent that big of a reach... This isn't 1985.

This Lea is suppose to be a hell of a recruiter and the new DC is from NY as well... I guess I am not following the logic, we aren't talking West Coast guys we are talking Ohio, Michigan, Western Pa. Keep Anselmo downstate, Moore as well, it will be fine.

I would be more worried about replacing Adkins at the JUCO and Southern states... Like I said, Jersey was torched by marrone when he ran GROB's Hofstra type guys out. His choice, pros and cons there, I don't necessariliy disagree with changing the culture when it needed it

Marrone did a solid job in many areas but he wasn't a dynamic recruiter, keep the NYC pipeline everything else is up for debate. Geeze

I have been saying this for the past year ... I'm glad someone else has come to the same conclusion about NJ.

I have no concern over NJ. The most overrated, overfished football state in the country. My bigger concern is that we have no recruiters in prime ACC territory, which is imperative seeing that kids out of our neck of the woods are more likely to commit if they have away games close to home.

We need to do a better job in the Tidewater area, and continue to recruit Florida. I hope Shafer isn't just stacking up midwestern recruiters with no ties at all to the east coast. I will let him build his staff before further comment and/or criticism but I'm hoping he's keeping an eye on where we're going to be playing the lion's share of our games.

I think with Penn State being in limbo for a while, there could be some real dividends in PA and OH. Some extra focus around that area might be worth it.

I have no concern over NJ. The most overrated, overfished football state in the country. My bigger concern is that we have no recruiters in prime ACC territory, which is imperative seeing that kids out of our neck of the woods are more likely to commit if they have away games close to home.

We need to do a better job in the Tidewater area, and continue to recruit Florida. I hope Shafer isn't just stacking up midwestern recruiters with no ties at all to the east coast. I will let him build his staff before further comment and/or criticism but I'm hoping he's keeping an eye on where we're going to be playing the lion's share of our games.

again, it doesn't matter where you get the talent just go get it.. I agree about the ACC states... we also have no idea where these new coaches may or may not have relationships regardless of where they are from, who they played with over the years, coached with who may be coaching at what HS, etc etc. That is my point.

Just look at the STA offer to the QB, I mean Marrone fired Rocco's Dad but apparently HCSS is trying to rebuild there or maybe it doesn't even need to be rebuilt, who knows

I have been saying this for the past year ... I'm glad someone else has come to the same conclusion about NJ.

Amen.

In 2010 (the last year of the study), of the top 2o final teams of the AP poll, only 5 players on all those rosters combined came from the Northeast and ALL five came from Connecticut. New York State and Massachusetts (despite their large populations), New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, RI produced ZERO players that found their way on to top 20 teams.

New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Ohio produced 12, 24, 116, respectively.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...-reliance-dependence-california-florida-texas

If the Top 20 teams aren't recruiting the Northeast, why should we focus so much on it? Perhaps to build the fan base? Knowing that your neighbor or friend from NY plays for Syracuse might be an incentive to watch our games and fill the Dome. That's really the only strategic, generational thinking I could rationalize. Maybe need to balance winning games now (recruit in other states) with winning fans (recruit local populace) but I don't know what the right blend is.

I personally think we should shift our focus South along the Atlantic seaboard (GA and FL). We've already lost out on the top NY recruits. If we win (albeit with other states' kids), the handful of 3-5 star players will stay home.

One good thing about recruiting ties, SU didn't fire the guy that build relationships, they left and took a promotion and that usually sits well with the high school coaches. Now, if SS can build from there and not lose any of the ties, we're going to be seeing better results as long as our guys can sell SU and close.

The same knock was made on Marrone's staff when he put it together. Even Marrone himself (a NE guy) had limited NE recruiting ties.

1) We have not recruited the NE well during the Marrone era, nor did DM do a good job getting assistants coaches who recruit the NE well. This is not a coincidence.

2) Who are the best players on the team? Where are they from? Where have our best players historically been from? The answers are the Northeast and more recently, Florida.

3) The Northeast is more up for grabs right now than ever. Penn State is stained with perhaps the worst scandal in the history of organized sports. Pitt is in shambles. West Virginia has been outcast to the Midwest. BC is in shambles. UConn has been relegated to the 2nd division. RU is coached by the village idiot. The timing is good to take control of the Northeast. It is also a good time to hit Florida hard, as West Virginia and Rutgers, two schools that have recruited that state hard, no longer play conference games in that state. In addition, USF has been relegated to the 2nd division.

4) I have no problem with half the staff having Western Michigan roots. We can dominate the recruiting of Kalamazoo and its suburbs like no one ever has before! No seriously, the hires SS has been sound fine to me.

You definitely don't need everyone on the staff to have experience recruiting your prime recruiting areas. But you should have a couple of coaches on the staff who are very familiar with the prime areas. That is all I am saying. Really hope Coach Anselmo will stay on board. I understand he is sick, hope he is better soon.

The same knock was made on Marrone's staff when he put it together. Even Marrone himself (a NE guy) had limited NE recruiting ties.

Agreed. I think Shafer has a much smaller ego that Marrone as well, which will bode well with a lot of people out on the recruiting front...

I am not saying abandon the Northeast, but just because a guy is from Michigan doesn't mean he can't recruit the Northeast and again we have no idea where these guys may or may not have contacts...

Shafer is from Ohio but seems to do OK in Florida? Who knew.

And like I said, I fully expect to lose a couple more recruits but I hope Anselmo can stay on for another years. I believe that exceptional recruiters are tough to find and Syracuse is always going to be a developmental program but it would be nice to find a true stud recruiter but not always easy

We may lose a few contacts but we will gain new ones, that is how it works.

We may not lose contacts if the new coaching staff is proactive and smart. Some relationships take time and the staff would be negligent if they let some go...it's just good business to keep those ties if possible.

It would be nice if Adkins can introduce some of the new coaches to some of his contacts before he leaves (if the rumors are accurate)

Agree IB - good post.

In my opinion, keep plugging away at NYC kids. There are a ton of diamonds down there. I feel the previous staff was good at identifying some of those kids early on, but they did lose out on the studs. Hopefully Anselmo can continue that trend.

Gotta keep Florida going and I'm sure Shaf will. With Shaf's D style, these long, lanky, fast athletic kids from some of these football hotbeds are ideal. Obviously alot more competition recruiting in those areas, but there have already been success stories that the staff can show to these kids, their parents, coaches, etc.

Let the other coaches recruit their natural areas that they already have connections in. Let's just get the best players possible regardless of where they are from from these coaches.

A nice mix of the already established areas along with some of the new coaches' recruiting areas will yield a positive result on the field in my opinion.

Not enough prospects in Massachusetts and Connecticut to care.

Priorities for Syracuse shouldn't change.

NY should be first; more state interest if home state kids are suiting up
Pennsylvania needs to be priority #1A (Pittsburgh to Scranton to Allentown to Philly) - traditional SU areas
Florida - Cuse alums are HS coaches, FSU every other year etc.
Northern NJ - proximity makes it a no brainer.
Mid Atlantic - traditional SU area. Close to home.
Northeastern Ohio - Youngstown to Akron
Michigan - Detroit area. Syracuse is a brand name in this town. There's a lot of players here. Again based on proximity/travel. After Michigan, MSU and Ohio State have picked through there are still quality prospects here.
All ACC states; preferably Northern VA, Tidewater, Richmond, Atlanta

Not enough prospects in Massachusetts and Connecticut to care.

Priorities for Syracuse shouldn't change.

NY should be first; more state interest if home state kids are suiting up
Pennsylvania needs to be priority #1A (Pittsburgh to Scranton to Allentown to Philly) - traditional SU areas
Florida - Cuse alums are HS coaches, FSU every other year etc.
Northern NJ - proximity makes it a no brainer.
Mid Atlantic - traditional SU area. Close to home.
Northeastern Ohio - Youngstown to Akron
All ACC states; preferably Northern VA, Tidewater, Richmond, Atlanta

Take those areas, see what you can attack and attack effectively and go after them. Agree, start with NYS. Jersey is fine if you can actually get kids from there but don't bring a knife to a gunfight... Why waste the time in areas where you can't be effective, the goal is to recruit talent, doesn't matter where from. I for one love the NYC kids, they are raw but they bring a ton of energy and they help recruit one another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom