Where were the open shots? | Syracusefan.com

Where were the open shots?

Scotch

Starter
Did we manufacture any open shots last night?

People are killing us for the shooting percentage, but it's hard to shoot well when your offense consists of barreling into the lane and throwing up contested garbage.

In recent years, Boeheim's offense has relied heavily on high screens for our PG to get into the lane, and curls for our wings (CJ last year). Unless Kaleb can improve dramatically on the high screen, we're in deep, deep trouble.

Our ball movement and spacing were horrific last night.

Our spacing was really bad but we did have a lot of instances where players made shot attempts harder than they needed to be. Our Forwards and Roc looked like they were trying to get to the rim and/or draw a foul on every single drive. Instead, they should have pulled up sooner and put something soft on the rim. Most of our shots in the lane had literally no chance of going in if there was any body contact.

We also had open looks from 3 that we didn't knock down. We just don't have great shooters though, so that's to be expected.

Did we manufacture any open shots last night?

People are killing us for the shooting percentage, but it's hard to shoot well when your offense consists of barreling into the lane and throwing up contested garbage.

In recent years, Boeheim's offense has relied heavily on high screens for our PG to get into the lane, and curls for our wings (CJ last year). Unless Kaleb can improve dramatically on the high screen, we're in deep, deep trouble.

Our ball movement and spacing were horrific last night.

I think this is a major factor being overlooked. Maybe someone like Coach Orange or somebody else can dive into this subject. I know it is early and the team is young but these are all high recruits generally. I did turn the game off the last three minutes but any garbage time buckets shouldn't count anyways. Contrary to CuseHulk's beliefs this is still sticking with the team but with some questioning and head scratching over some disturbing trends continuing to show their form.

I saw pretty much one clean look for Cooney. He made it. I saw a bunch of contested shots by everyone and some shots Rak will normally probably make. The subs came in and jacked long threes within zero flow of the offense. These are all players recruited by major schools. How can a team look so bad on offense (and at times last year with experienced players)? I mean it was a real struggle to get to 59 last night. Hopefully tonight there will be improvements. Way too early to tell but I just worry that the system in place is not conducive for the players we have. Meaning, that we DO have good players. Very good players. Pretty much everybody wants these guys so why are they coming here and struggling so much on offense? Without a stud Carmelo/Wallace type talent to run the offense through the result is crippling, anemic offense. It just doesn't compute to me vis a vis the quality of players we are still getting. There has been a clear trend of this in recent years. It seems like the 'right' type of players are coming in next year but we should have enough of those, no? Just bringing up some recent thoughts and am definitely not jumping off the bridge. I am not worried about effort from these guys. Hopefully the offense becomes easier tonight. Plenty of teams are playing freshmen. Plenty. Plenty of teams have losses. Someone compared this year to UNC last year. Quite possible. They were horrendous shooting the ball but did/do have a real stud in Marcus Paige and better ISO players, imo. I am expecting things to get better but won't necessarily be surprised now if getting to 60 points regularly is a distant memory.

No spacing. This is why Roberson cannot get major minutes unless giving Rak/McCullough breathers as an undersized 4.

No penetration of the defense. Joseph refused to do this for a majority of the game and when he did he epic failed and turned it over. Cooney can't penetrate so that leaves G as the only other guy capable of breaking down the defense.

No interior presence. Skinny McCullough was better down low than Rak who acted like he was being guarded by Dwight Howard.

Our spacing was really bad but we did have a lot of instances where players made shot attempts harder than they needed to be. Our Forwards and Roc looked like they were trying to get to the rim and/or draw a foul on every single drive. Instead, they should have pulled up sooner and put something soft on the rim. Most of our shots in the lane had literally no chance of going in if there was any body contact.

We also had open looks from 3 that we didn't knock down. We just don't have great shooters though, so that's to be expected.

To me those open looks were either too far away around the NBA line or jacks from cold players who just checked in from off the bench. I didn't really see much of anything open all game from schematic standpoint.

No spacing. This is why Roberson cannot get major minutes unless giving Rak/McCullough breathers as an undersized 4.

No penetration of the defense. Joseph refused to do this for a majority of the game and when he did he epic failed and turned it over. Cooney can't penetrate so that leaves G as the only other guy capable of breaking down the defense.

No interior presence. Skinny McCullough was better down low than Rak who acted like he was being guarded by Dwight Howard.

Right. Not having a secondary guy (again) to be able to do this could be another problem looming ahead. We know Cooney won't or can't and Silent G probably can't be relied upon for this against better defensive teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom