Which eight writers... | Syracusefan.com

Which eight writers...

Morris has us 8th? Inconceivable!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Does Wilmer know that we beat Louisville

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Wilmer has Gonzaga ahead of us. They have only beaten one ranked team all year (#22 Oklahoma State)

Morris didn't have the lowest SU vote...so they've got that going for them

Wilner's poll looks like something I'd expect to see on a Gonzaga forum, posted by a casual fan that really doesn't know that much about basketball. Maybe posted by a middle school kid.

Does Wilmer know that we beat Louisville

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

No. At least I don't think so since he ranked Louisville #4 and us #10.

Of course, he also could be shafting the Cuse because 1) he thinks Bernie did Bobby wrong; 2) he thinks MCW should be doing time at Coxsackie; 3) he doesn't like the crap JB has dished about his good buddy Gottlieb. Whatever the excuse it is obvious Wilner hates this team.

picked us #1? At least one of you guys has a link that shows who voted how.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

Cliff's notes for those who haven't seen this yet (our #1 votes):

Eric Sprott
Daily Journal (Newspaper)
Seneca, South Carolina

Fletcher Mackel
WDSU-TV, New Orleans (TV)
New Orleans, Louisiana

John McNamara
The Capital (Newspaper)
Annapolis, Maryland

John Werner
Waco Tribune-Herald (Newspaper)
Waco, Texas

Paul Zeise
Pittsburgh Post Gazette (Newspaper)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Scott Reid
The Orange County Register (Newspaper)
Santa Ana, California

Steve DeShazo
The Free Lance-Star (Newspaper)
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Tim Griffin
San Antonio Express-News (Newspaper)
San Antonio, Texas

And then the idiots who had us ranked hilariously low:

Jon Wilner #10
San Jose Mercury News (Newspaper)
San Jose, California

Ron Morris #8
The State (Newspaper)
Columbia, South Carolina

Jon Wilner #10
San Jose Mercury News (Newspaper)
San Jose, California

What is the closest relevant basketball program to San Jose? Fresno St.? Place is 150 miles from Fresno. 350 miles from L.A.. Does he even watch cbball? Why does this dude have a vote?

Or just butthurt over how we clobber Oakland every year?

What is the closest relevant basketball program to San Jose? Fresno St.? Place is 150 miles from Fresno. 350 miles from L.A.. Does he even watch cbball? Why does this dude have a vote?

The rankings drive me nuts, but ranking us #10 is just stupid.

Stanford and Cal aren't far from San Jose. And the Oakland University the bball team plays is from Michigan.

How about everyone's favorite Jay Bilas actually moving us down to 8, and keeping Louisville at 2 in the ESPN poll. However, Seth Greenberg, Eammon Brennan, and Rece Davis had us 1. I want to say another clown had us 10. talk about wide range

So, in light of Jon Wilner's defensive response to Mike Waters' inquiry in which he blamed it on our non-conf sched., and because it came across as the typical cliche BS answer with a hint of attitude... I decided to waste 20 minutes creepily stalking Wilner's polls for last year.Considering that last season we had a top 5 OOC SOS he should have skewed his polls IN our favor last year, right?

... LOL, nope!

For the 3 polls for the preseason, week 1, and week 2... a total of only 24 pollsters (8 avg) ranked Syracuse higher than Wilner did... while a total of 116 (39 avg) pollsters ranked us lower.

For the 15 polls following week 3 ... a total of 581 pollsters (39 avg) ranked SU higher than Wilner, while just a mere total of 49 (3 avg) ranked us lower.

... strange change of heart. What could explain it?

- At week 2 in the season we had only played Manhattan, Albany, and Colgate... the weakest opponents of our OOC schedule... so clearly it wasn't our strength of schedule bothering poor Jon Wilner.

- In fact, Weeks 0-2 are the only weeks in which Wilner voted us above our mean AP ranking. Every week on and after week 3 he voted us below the mean, and significantly below it in almost every case.

- We actually started playing tougher teams in our non-conference schedule in week 3. We won both games in week 3 as well.

... so what happened in week 3? For someone so influenced by SOS, why did he suddenly start ranking us so atypically low immediately after our schedule got tougher and as we had just beaten two of our relatively tougher OOC opponents?
_____

Wait, where is Wilner from?

San Jose.

... and what team was it we beat in week 3, by coming from behind, spoiling what seemed to be an imminent major upset on national TV in Madison Square Garden?

Stanford.

______

Elementary, Watson!