Which would be harder for SU to win?

• The ACCT

Votes: 41 74.5%
  • The NCAAT

Votes: 14 25.5%

• Total voters

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Winning the ACC tournament, (probably beating Duke, UNC and Virginia on consecutive nights without Battle)

or

- Winning the NCAA tournament (Battle's back and we have to win 6 games over varying opposition over three weeks: the top teams could be knocked off by somebody else)

Can either one be > o.o% chance? What would be the odds of getting the NCAA champ without playing/beating an ACC team above SU. Without looking, how many BE teams were in the 2003 tournament?

The ACC tournament is a harder to win for sure. Syracuse will probably have to play Pitt, Duke, UNC, and Virginia on 4 straight days with no rest to win.

For comparison sake, Michigan's road to the final 4 last year was San Diego St, Houston, Texas A&M, and Florida St. - a relative cakewalk!

Let's try the math.

I'll give SU a 15 percent chance in each individual game vs Duke, UNC, and Virginia. This may be generous, but it leads to 0.003. One-third of 1 percent to win the ACC tourney.

In the NCAA, I'll give SU a 55 percent chance in the first round, a 15 percent chance in second round (vs 1 seed)...then randomly a 30 percent, 25 percent, 20 percent, and 15 percent chance in the other 4 games. =0.0002. Two-hundredths of 1 percent to win NCAAs.

6 games vs. 4 games
The NCAA tournament is harder to win because our D can’t win us 6 games.
It could win us 4 games.

Who cares about ACCT? In 2003 we won the Big 12 tournament on the way to the NC and we weren't even in that league. Give me the this year's MAAC champion (Iona), a middling SEC team, and 4 Big 12 teams including KU in the final and I'll take it.

Oddsmaker.ag had Cuse at 65-1 to win the acc on Tuesday (they took that bet down now that the tourney started)
And 45-1 to win the National Championship (that bet is still up.) I was actually going to post this on Tuesday but work got in the way. Also most sites have us at 80-1 to win the NC... but I am guessing someone put a large bet in on Cuse to win it all on their site so oddsmaker is trying to deter people from betting on them anymore.

Let's try the math.

I'll give SU a 15 percent chance in each individual game vs Duke, UNC, and Virginia. This may be generous, but it leads to 0.003. One-third of 1 percent to win the ACC tourney.

In the NCAA, I'll give SU a 55 percent chance in the first round, a 15 percent chance in second round (vs 1 seed)...then randomly a 30 percent, 25 percent, 20 percent, and 15 percent chance in the other 4 games. =0.0002. Two-hundredths of 1 percent to win NCAAs.

Goes to show how hard it is to win the NCAA Tournament. As a demonstration of that, even if a team had a 65% chance of winning all their games, their chances of winning the NCAA Tournament would still only be 7.5%. However, something to be careful of is to not get fooled by the numbers, because if you used this type of analysis it wouldn't necessarily add up to 100% for all teams and of course, somebody has to win the thing, so it can be misleading.

Hands down, ACC Tourney is tougher. 4 games in 4 days against this field is the harder road.

You could make a legit argument that we might not play a team as good as UVA/Duke/UNC until the Final 4. In the ACCT we have to beat them all on 3 straight days

6 games vs. 4 games
The NCAA tournament is harder to win because our D can’t win us 6 games.
It could win us 4 games.

That’s pretty arbitrary. More likely that our defense could win us 6 games against teams that haven’t played against it than win us 4 games against teams that have all seen it at least once already.

no matter what the choices, the true correct answer to the original post is Jay Bilas schlong watching Zion