is the future bright or gloomy?

• Excelsior!

Votes: 19 100.0%
  • Stuck like a mastodon in the La Brea tar pits

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SWC75

Bored Historian
With the recent good recruiting news and the excitement on the recruiting board over who we might get next, plus the promise of the current class, (Girard having a strong year for a freshman point, Guerrier coming on and he makes jump shots in practice, Edwards and Goodine have shown flashes, Bol Ajak: ???), weighed against the perceived decline of the program in recent years plus a likely coaching change sometime in the next few years, what direction do you see this program going in?

- Are were finally going to emerge from the cornfield of the bubble teams and resume our place in the college basketball elite?

- Or are we going to get permanently mired in this vortex of mediocrity and irrelevance?

Honk if you liked the way I put that. :cool:

1581180742626.png

It is hard to argue that the BB program has not declined over the last ~5 years, with recruiting being the major contributor - the current players and commits don't change that.

The Dior commitment is great news and could change the recruiting trend; we will see. It also makes it much more likely, good or bad, that JB will remain for at least another 3 years.

JB's in-game coaching has been his strongest asset, this will probably continue to be a strength. His management of the post position and inside game may be his weakest. I know many will point to our defensive-oriented center recruits with bad hands, but those are the ones that JB gets. Over the years, I see the Colgates of the world successfully running posts plays against us, a 6'4" ND guy posting up our 7'2" center 4 times in one game and our 7'2" center posting up 0 times, and little focus on interior play. I have to think having a ex-big man as a coach would help in recruiting big men recruits, help develop them, and give ex-guard JB some insight into the post position that maybe he doesn't have (just like getting an QB oriented OC). I pretty sure this will happen with the next HC.

Most historic ranking consistently put SU as #9 or #10. It is possible that JB, Dior and crew can get back there, fingers are crossed. After that, as long as SU replaces JB with the best candidate(s) they can, then, long term, I think SU will get back to being a top 20 program if not top 10.

Honk.

With the recent good recruiting news and the excitement on the recruiting board over who we might get next, plus the promise of the current class, (Girard having a strong year for a freshman point, Guerrier coming on and he makes jump shots in practice, Edwards and Goodine have shown flashes, Bol Ajak: ???), weighed against the perceived decline of the program in recent years plus a likely coaching change sometime in the next few years, what direction do you see this program going in?

- Are were finally going to emerge from the cornfield of the bubble teams and resume our place in the college basketball elite?

- Or are we going to get permanently mired in this vortex of mediocrity and irrelevance?

Honk if you liked the way I put that. :cool:

It is hard to argue that the BB program has not declined over the last ~5 years, with recruiting being the major contributor - the current players and commits don't change that.

The Dior commitment is great news and could change the recruiting trend; we will see. It also makes it much more likely, good or bad, that JB will remain for at least another 3 years.

JB's in-game coaching has been his strongest asset, this will probably continue to be a strength. His management of the post position and inside game may be his weakest. I know many will point to our defensive-oriented center recruits with bad hands, but those are the ones that JB gets. Over the years, I see the Colgates of the world successfully running posts plays against us, a 6'4" ND guy posting up our 7'2" center 4 times in one game and our 7'2" center posting up 0 times, and little focus on interior play. I have to think having a ex-big man as a coach would help in recruiting big men recruits, help develop them, and give ex-guard JB some insight into the post position that maybe he doesn't have (just like getting an QB oriented OC). I pretty sure this will happen with the next HC.

Most historic ranking consistently put SU as #9 or #10. It is possible that JB, Dior and crew can get back there, fingers are crossed. After that, as long as SU replaces JB with the best candidate(s) they can, then, long term, I think SU will get back to being a top 20 program if not top 10.

Honk.

I don’t think Bernie was a former big man. We’ve had some very good bigs over the years. We’ve never had an ex big man as coach.

I don’t think Bernie was a former big man. We’ve had some very good bigs over the years. We’ve never had an ex big man as coach.

He might not have been a former or ex Big man, but there is no denying he was a big man throughout his tenure on the hill. Guy had to go at least 250 - 260 lbs.

su-bball-111811-bernie-finejpg-274a31be2db49f01.jpg

The future looks bright. JB for 2 more years and then the Gmac show with main star Dior to open the act

The future looks bright. JB for 2 more years and then the Gmac show with main star Dior to open the act

Why do people assume it will be GMAC over Autry or Griffin?

Why do people assume it will be GMAC over Autry or Griffin?
I chose GMac cause he was Dior’s main recruiter

He might not have been a former or ex Big man, but there is no denying he was a big man throughout his tenure on the hill. Guy had to go at least 250 - 260 lbs.

su-bball-111811-bernie-finejpg-274a31be2db49f01.jpg

In his bra

Some - so you are agreeing with me.