Who are the pea-brains responsible for Women's Lax rules? | Syracusefan.com

Who are the pea-brains responsible for Women's Lax rules?

Dcuse

All Conference
I'm trying like hell to get into this but are you kidding me? NO STALL WARNING??? Northwestern Women's lacrosse is on par with tee-ball as far ar entertainment value. The stoppage of play for breathing on a girl is also gut-wrenching to watch.

I'm trying like hell to get into this but are you kidding me? NO STALL WARNING??? Northwestern Women's lacrosse is on par with tee-ball as far ar entertainment value. The stoppage of play for breathing on a girl is also gut-wrenching to watch.

It's a sport that Could be great fun to watch. Loved seeing 7 offensive players just streaking down the field together. Some of the SU players are FAST. The penalty shot thingie with everyone converging on you is kind of cool. But the rules, or most of them, seem nonsensical. It's a referees' game not a players' game. No stall warnings is absurd. How the hell did Florida blow a 7 goal lead if they could have just held the ball?

For breathing? Ha! They stopped play so that a NW player could tie her shoe...

There will be thousands of games of lawn darts throughout the country tomorrow that are more exciting.

There will be thousands of games of lawn darts throughout the country tomorrow that are more exciting.

Amen. It was absolutely unwatchable. Lacrosse is really missing the boat on growing their sport with these stall issues (both men and women). And the lack of contact was incredible. Way too many whistles.

And these free position shots? Like a soccer match with 15 PKs a game.

I didn't feel like there was much difference in skill level of the respective teams. I have a feeling NW has won so many because their coach best knows how to play strategically to the ridiculous rules and not so much due to the talent of her team. Props to her but the powers that be need to allow more contact and do something about the stalling.

I'm finding out more of the rules in each game, like the most of you. This game I found out a player can not come over the head to hit the ball carrier's stick. There's a "bubble" around the player that can't be penetrated. What an asinine rule.

Hopefully the rules will evolve as the game gains popularity. Not a big fan of women's soccer or basketball but at least they are watchable. Seeing the NW player standing behind the goal was ridiculous.

Hopefully the rules will evolve as the game gains popularity. Not a big fan of women's soccer or basketball but at least they are watchable. Seeing the NW player standing behind the goal was ridiculous.
I can't think of a reason why the game would gain popularity. The rules for women's soccer & basketball are, for all practical purposes, the same as for the men's version. WLAX looks like a totally different animal & will have a hard time piggy-backing on the surge in popularity of the men's game.

I can't think of a reason why the game would gain popularity. The rules for women's soccer & basketball are, for all practical purposes, the same as for the men's version. WLAX looks like a totally different animal & will have a hard time piggy-backing on the surge in popularity of the men's game.
Re: Women's lax: I think its growth is tied almost entirely to participation, not observation (except by family members).

And, I do wish they would come up with a different name for the sport. Because men's lax: women's lax :: crocodiles:donuts.

I'm finding out more of the rules in each game, like the most of you. This game I found out a player can not come over the head to hit the ball carrier's stick. There's a "bubble" around the player that can't be penetrated. What an asinine rule.

IT'S SIX INCHES AROUND THE GIRLS HEAD...KEEP IT CLEAN GUYS

Re: Women's lax: I think its growth is tied almost entirely to participation, not observation (except by family members).

And, I do wish they would come up with a different name for the sport. Because men's lax: women's lax :: crocodiles:donuts.
Or... Give the girl's pads and normal sticks and let them play the same game the guys do (like hockey). Seriously, why do they need to be different?

Or... Give the girl's pads and normal sticks and let them play the same game the guys do (like hockey). Seriously, why do they need to be different?

Great idea. Frankly, it is dopey that they don't have helmets, regardless of the contact rules.

I'm with you 100%, OT--standardize the game.

Great idea. Frankly, it is dopey that they don't have helmets, regardless of the contact rules.

I'm with you 100%, OT--standardize the game.

I know one of the theories I have heard is that girls necks aren't able to support the weight of the helmets lax players wear, especially at a young age. Might be complete bs though.

I know one of the theories I have heard is that girls necks aren't able to support the weight of the helmets lax players wear, especially at a young age. Might be complete bs though.

that's bullshit.

And even if you remove body checking, an errant stick or shot to the head isnt worth the risk. Put the girls in pads and let them play. The only purpose of the modified sticks is to slow down the shots and passes because they don't wear friggin equipment. Makes no sense. The talent level of girls lacrosse is really starting to take off... I just wish they got to play the game the way it was meant to be played.

I can't think of another sport that so drastically changes the rules / concepts of the game between the men's and women's versions.

I see the sport has picked up a lot of fans here. :crazy:

I can't think of another sport that so drastically changes the rules / concepts of the game between the men's and women's versions.

Softball. It's ridiculous that girls don't play baseball. Softball and womens lacrosse. There is NO rational argument for these two sports to not be like the mens. ZERO rational argument

Hate to say it because I am a huge SU fan for all the mens sports (bball Fball, Lax) Womans Lax is as others noted completely unwatchable. I think I got about 5 minutes in before I had to give up its just awful.

Here's an article from the New York Times last year about the case against helmets in women's lax. Has a quote from a CNY physician in it too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/17/sports/17lacrosse.html?pagewanted=all
Noted the lady laxer stating with pads and helmets it would be more like football or hockey. I believe it would actually make it more like lacrosse. You know, the game the native americans played, the game the men play. Calling their game lacrosse is an outright insult to the sport!

I got so sick of the statement it was always safety first. If that were true they would be having the tea and crumpets and not playing sports. What if they got a cramp or got tired or during the excitement of standing still for minutes at a time got bitten by a malaria ridden mosquito? Where was the concern for safety there? And the spectators could have fallen asleep and fallen down and bumped there heads -- geez -- no concern for the unsuspecting population either.

Bud and the Manchild asked the question on their facebook page today: "Please comment on the SU Women's LAX game if you watched it. Should the women's lacrosse rules be changed immediately? How would you change them?"

Two people said stalling was a problem, and one said they had to get rid of all the play stoppage

new rule : 5 minute penalty unreleaseable if your catty "freshman fifteen" teasing causes an eating disorder.