Who is perceived by college coaches to be the biggest cheater in the sport? | Syracusefan.com

Who is perceived by college coaches to be the biggest cheater in the sport?

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
  • John Calipari (Kentucky): 36 percent
  • Scott Drew (Baylor): 34 percent
  • Ben Howland (UCLA): 12 percent
  • Jim Calhoun (Connecticut): 7 percent
  • Tom Crean (Indiana): 3 percent
  • Dave Rice (UNLV): 3 percent
Others receiving votes: Too many to list.

cbssports

Seems about right to me; Rice was an odd one though.

Garry Parrish:

Let me start by making one thing clear -- that we at CBSSports.com are not calling anybody a cheater. We worded the question carefully and specifically for a reason, because it's unfair to call anybody a cheater without proof. So please don't tell your friends that "CBSSports.com called John Calipari and Scott Drew cheaters," because we've actually done nothing of the sort.
What we did is ask a bunch of coaches to tell us who they "perceive" as the sport's biggest cheater.
Regardless of whether it's real or not, we wanted to know what coaches think.
What you see above represents what they told us.
Take it for what it's worth.

That is pure sophistry. What Parrish and cbssports has done is smear the names of five men with, by Parrish's own admission, no evidence whatsoever. what Parris means by saying he "worded the question carefully" is that he is too big a coward to come right out and say it, so he is hiding behind this thin legalstic facade. None of these coaches are dumb enough to sue a media organization, but I think Calhoun is tough enough and mean enough to punch Parrish in the head next time he sees him, and I hope he does

They all cheat to a certain degree, if youre not cheating youre not trying.

Garry Parrish:

That is pure sophistry. What Parrish and cbssports has done is smear the names of five men with, by Parrish's own admission, no evidence whatsoever. what Parris means by saying he "worded the question carefully" is that he is too big a coward to come right out and say it, so he is hiding behind this thin legalstic facade. None of these coaches are dumb enough to sue a media organization, but I think Calhoun is tough enough and mean enough to punch Parrish in the head next time he sees him, and I hope he does

Especially rich that he includes that little speech AFTER including the quotes which literally say that these men are DEFINITE cheaters. Not that they think they are, but that they are.

Garry Parrish:

It's disappointing to see the home of the NCATT descend into the muck with inflammatory bullsh!t like this because it really throws the door open. Now some attention seeking media organization will go out and ask coaches which of their peers is most likely to have a pedophile on their staff.

It's disappointing to see the home of the NCATT descend into the muck with inflammatory bullsh!t like this because it really throws the door open. Now some attention seeking media organization will go out and ask coaches which of their peers is most likely to have a pedophile on their staff.
Garry would never say such a thing. Now he might say "Which of the college coaches do you perceive to be the most tolerant of pedophiles on their staff. We're not saying that they do, or did, have pedophiles on their staff, but which do you perceive would be the most tolerant?"

Garry Parrish:

That is gutless. "I'm going to put my name on this claim, but I prefer to deflect blame for the content by emphasizing that the content is supplied by anonymous coaches. Who provided the content at my urging, of course, though I'm not responsible for this."

Parrish is low. Then again, Calipari is a cheater (for Christ's sake, someone who gets Final Fours vacated at two previous employers deserves every bit of condemnation that comes his way), so anything that keeps that claim alive is beneficial (even if scumbag pseudo-journalism is responsible).

Garry would never say such a thing. Now he might say "Which of the college coaches do you perceive to be the most tolerant of pedophiles on their staff. We're not saying that they do, or did, have pedophiles on their staff, but which do you perceive would be the most tolerant?"

As ludicrous as that is, it's really no more ludicrous that what CBSSports.com actually saw fit to run in an effort to generate traffic to its site. Sad, but not surprising.

I know it is fun to bash Cal, but these polls are such BS.

If you are a college coach you should either a) have the balls to have your name published with your opinion or b) keep your mouth shut.

If I were a head coach and found out one of my coaches was participating in these smear campaigns, I'd be pissed. Hell, look at a reason Dave Rice got votes at UNLV: "They've gotta be doing something at UNLV." What does that even mean? There's no evidence, but now a major media outlet has named him one of the 6 biggest cheaters in college hoops. (Yes, I know it says "perceived", but we're smart enough to know what the implied question is)

That is gutless. "I'm going to put my name on this claim, but I prefer to deflect blame for the content by emphasizing that the content is supplied by anonymous coaches. Who provided the content at my urging, of course, though I'm not responsible for this."

Parrish is low. Then again, Calipari is a cheater (for Christ's sake, someone who gets Final Fours vacated at two previous employers deserves every bit of condemnation that comes his way), so anything that keeps that claim alive is beneficial (even if scumbag pseudo-journalism is responsible).

I would say that Marcus Camby and Derrick Rose deserve most of the blame if you're interested in holding the proper people accountable. Thats beside the point though. It's a sad day when journalist use a poll of anonymous coaches to assassinate the character of other coaches. If they're cheating do your job and investigate and report it. You would think that an article that was 100% anonymous speculation would be the most anti journalistic thing ever.

If they did a poll a year ago about which college football coach was perceived to be the biggest saint, I wonder who that would be.

2 thoughts

1) What coaches would actually respond to this question?

2) It would be hilarious if Cal responded and voted for himself

2) It would be hilarious if Cal responded and voted for himself
it would be great if he went all in and just owned it, Ric Flair style - I am the Dirtiest Player in the Game! A wheelin' dealin', recruit stealin', jet flyin' , limousine ridin' son of a gun!

it would be great if he went all in and just owned it, Ric Flair style - I am the Dirtiest Player in the Game! A wheelin' dealin', recruit stealin', jet flyin' , limousine ridin' son of a gun!
CalMoney.jpg

Parrish sucks and this thing is a bit of a hatchet job. That being said:

"You ever been to Storrs? It's miserable. But Calhoun, somehow, has recruited pros there for decades. Hell, he's one of the guys who actually got caught cheating [with Nate Miles]. He's the obvious answer."

Fact

• John Calipari (Kentucky): 36 percent
  • Scott Drew (Baylor): 34 percent
  • Ben Howland (UCLA): 12 percent
  • Jim Calhoun (Connecticut): 7 percent
  • Tom Crean (Indiana): 3 percent
  • Dave Rice (UNLV): 3 percent
Others receiving votes: Too many to list.

cbssports

I find it funny that they polled approximately 100 coaches and the cumulative % amounts to 95%, yet the remainder are "too many to list". Are they covering up for the remaining 5 (or so) coaches?

It's a sad day when journalist use a poll of anonymous coaches to assassinate the character ...

"NOT TEN GAMES! NOT TEN!!!"

Ring a bell? 'Nough said. Our own paper printed trash like this back in 2006. Seeing this Parrish BS makes me appreciate JAB that much more. He put himself out there and stuck up for one of his players against the cowardly coaches who threw Gerry under the bus and the numbskulls of our local paper who printed the damn article.

Parrish hosts an afternoon drive time radio show here in Memphis. Before listening to him, I was an unabashed GP hater based on what I thought was his bias against Cuse. However, he's not half bad. He has his self promoting phases but comes across as a guy that is a huge college basketball fan that just happens to write about it. Oh, and he absolutely hates Calapari, so he's good in my book.

Kudos to CBS and Parrish (plus the 3 others, Parrish wasn't alone tho he is taking the heat), for giving an anonymous forum to coaches to call out the 1st and 2nd ones. All coaches push the envelope some but those 2.....

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Were the coaches who were polled head coaches or assistants? Were they from BCS conferences? Were they high school coaches? Anyone know?

Good one.
But you forgot the "Whooooooooo!"

"NOT TEN GAMES! NOT TEN!!!"

Ring a bell? 'Nough said. Our own paper printed trash like this back in 2006. Seeing this Parrish BS makes me appreciate JAB that much more. He put himself out there and stuck up for one of his players against the cowardly coaches who threw Gerry under the bus and the numbskulls of our local paper who printed the damn article.

I don't agree with that; apples and oranges.

The Sub-Standard's old anonymous coaches poll made for interesting reading - it offered knowledgeable people an opportunity to be candid about aspects of the game that are of interest to most fans. Homerism aside, it's nice to hear what Big East player opposing coaches consider overrated (or any other adjective). Some SU fans got their feelings hurt in 2006 become Boeheim flipped out, but it was an enjoyable read that gave a voice to some people who aren't usually able or willing to offer honest thoughts. Not cowardly at all.

"Cheater" is a dumb title being tossed around without any support by a group that offers little insight that fans don't already have. The CBS piece carries no more weight than a poll of Syracusefan.com posters would. It's a waste of time.

I don't agree with that; apples and oranges.

The Sub-Standard's old anonymous coaches poll made for interesting reading - it offered knowledgeable people an opportunity to be candid about aspects of the game that are of interest to most fans. Homerism aside, it's nice to hear what Big East player opposing coaches consider overrated (or any other adjective). Some SU fans got their feelings hurt in 2006 become Boeheim flipped out, but it was an enjoyable read that gave a voice to some people who aren't usually able or willing to offer honest thoughts. Not cowardly at all.

"Cheater" is a dumb title being tossed around without any support by a group that offers little insight that fans don't already have. The CBS piece carries no more weight than a poll of Syracusefan.com posters would. It's a waste of time.

Yeah, there's definitely a good and bad side to these polls. When innocuous, they can be insightful and fun. When they cross the line, they can really be offensive.

Anything over the top (who's the biggest cheater? who has the ugliest wife? who's the most hated? etc...) should be asked, if at all, only under full transparency.