Who was the last freshman big man | Syracusefan.com

Who was the last freshman big man

Guinness

Living Legend
That we have had that attacks the rim like Lydon does? Every time the kid is in close he goes up hard. Dude tries to dunk absolutely everything and I love it.

His shooting stroke is so pure. It seems like every shot is going in. Kid has ridiculous potential. Just wait until he adds some strength, and starts to be able to put it on the floor. He's better then Jerami Grant is right now. I'm trying to think of a pro comparison and all I'm coming up with is Trey Lyels or maybe Paul Milsap.

His shooting stroke is so pure. It seems like every shot is going in. Kid has ridiculous potential. Just wait until he adds some strength, and starts to be able to put it on the floor. He's better then Jerami Grant is right now. I'm trying to think of a pro comparison and all I'm coming up with is Trey Lyels or maybe Paul Milsap.
Lydon seems to have a offensive skill set comparable to Kevin Love to me. A stretch 4 that can play well inside and shoot from anywhere with a smooth stroke. Same thing with the rebounds, he's got great anticipation and good position on a lot of rebounds like Love.
But, when it comes to defense, he plays a hell of a lot better than Love I'd say.

I said this the other day his college game is that of a skinnier Kevin love.

In terms of overall effectiveness, I'd say John Wallace.

He's our best true frosh 4 since John Wallace.

Comparing Lydon to Wallace, nice!

I would say two more recent freshmen. Clearly neither was effective as freshman, but I saw some extremely aggressive dunk attempts from freshman Etan Thomas and Hakeem Warrick.

Freshman Etan once tried to dunk on somebody from one step inside the foul line and front rimmed it badly. It was the first time I remember seeing him. It got him the hook, but I was impressed with his gumption on that play. Warrick missed more dunks as a freshman than anybody, but he never stopped believing he could do it.

EDIT, orangefog beat me to it on Warrick.

I'd give you that. His natural instincts are on a par with JW's for certain. Watch how he moves without the ball, which will give you an appreciation for his sense of spacing and timing. He has "the gift." And they both know how to finish. My memories of Wallace are largely based on his senior year, but given time I expect Lydon will develop the upper body strength to be as effective as was Wallace. He will absorb some learning curve against the ACC's upper classmen, but he'll continue to progress. Keep your fingers crossed, but I think it's going to be a fun ride with him.

Jerami has improved immensely while in the pros. No current comparison between the two, except to compare a frosh Jerami to Lydon.

Overall effectiveness? I'll give you the shooting similarities, but in terms of defense, shot blocking, passing, handle, transition speed/hustle and understanding spacing. TL is better as a frosh than Wallace was as a frosh and possibly better as a frosh on defense than Wallace ever became.

I said this the other day his college game is that of a skinnier Kevin love.

But does he throw an outlet pass as good as Kevin Love Oh Lord? Everyone remember when Love was at UCLA, and the infatuation every broadcaster would have with Love's outlet passes? If there was ever evidence of commentators just listening to previous broadcasts and stealing their stuff that was it. All you heard all year long when watching a UCLA game was about Love and his amazing outlet passes. I think 1 game Bill Walton actually saw the greatest 2 handed, overhead, 3/4 courts, 1 bounce outlet pass the game of basketball had ever seen.

So ya, once Lydon improves his outlet passing then he can be compared to Love :blah:

Jerami has improved immensely while in the pros. No current comparison between the two, except to compare a frosh Jerami to Lydon.

It has been nice to see Jerami improve his game, and get a chance at real playing time in the NBA. I still don't think Grant has the overall skill that Lydon has (even now). Lydon is no slouch athletically, but Jerami is just an athletic freak. A few years of adding mass to his frame, to go with his freakish athleticism has really benefited him. He just doesn't have that smooth of a game. But Freshman Grant vs Freshman Lydon looks like a landslide for Lydon. Even Sophomore Grant vs Freshman Lydon doesn't seem like a match up where Grant would compare favorably?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom