Who would you have more confidence in to make a 3 pointer | Syracusefan.com

Who would you have more confidence in to make a 3 pointer

Jasoncuse

2022 Iggy Winner: NCAA Tourament
2013 Brandon Triche during Big East play (23/89 - 25.8%)

or

2014 Trevor Cooney in ACC play (40/128 - 31.2%...26.7% taking out the ND game)

The situations are getting more similar by the day. Like last year with BT, I don't expect any of Cooney's 3's to go in at this point.

Cooney has more than three 3's in just one ACC game. He hit at least 5 3's in a game SEVEN times prior to ACC play.

or

The situations are getting more similar by the day. Like last year with BT, I don't expect any of Cooney's 3's to go in at this point.

Cooney has more than three 3's in just one ACC game. He hit at least 5 3's in a game SEVEN times prior to ACC play.

I choose Gerry MacNamara.

or

Baye

I choose Gerry MacNamara.

Who also was a low% shooter.

The biggest differences between Triche and Cooney is Cooney is much more 1 dimensional. When he's not making shots, it's ugly.

Who also was a low% shooter.

The biggest differences between Triche and Cooney is Cooney is much more 1 dimensional. When he's not making shots, it's ugly.
Very true, need I remind you all GMac shot a horrendous percentage

I would give my left arm for the senior version of Andy Rautins right now. This isn't meant to bash Cooney, our problems run much deeper, but I think if you replace him with senior Rautins we are VERY GOOD.

I'm going with Cooney. I know Cooney is capable of going off from out there, Triche not so much.

I would give my left arm for the senior version of Andy Rautins right now. This isn't meant to bash Cooney, our problems run much deeper, but I think if you replace him with senior Rautins we are VERY GOOD.
Speaking strickly of 3-point shooting, their numbers are remarkably similar: senior Rautins shot .407 (2.8 of 6.9 per game), while Cooney is currently at .388 (2.8 of 7.1 per game).

br801 said:
Speaking strickly of 3-point shooting, their numbers are remarkably similar: senior Rautins shot .407 (2.8 of 6.9 per game), while Cooney is currently at .388 (2.8 of 7.1 per game).
I don't remember senior rautins with the streakiness

Where do you guys think Cooney will be at come senior year? Considering how far he's come since last season

I don't remember senior rautins with the streakiness
He probably wasn't as streaky as Cooney. I was just comparing the overall numbers of two volume 3-point shooters, one in his fifth year in the program, the other in his third year. There is no doubt the senior Rautins was a better overall player than Cooney is today, but I'd expect Cooney to close the gap going forward.

Another issue is Rautins was a fantastic passer from the 2G position. How many assists does Cooney have?

Another issue is Rautins was a fantastic passer from the 2G position. How many assists does Cooney have?

Pretty sure Rautins lead that team in turnovers as well. Cooney's got two more years in the system, he will get better. Rautins was getting hammered at this point of his career as well.

Cooney is at 1.2 per game. Rautins avg'd 4.9 per game his senior year. The steal numbers are the same, but if my memory is correct I think Rautins was a better defender.

Pretty sure Rautins lead that team in turnovers as well. Cooney's got two more years in the system, he will get better. Rautins was getting hammered at this point of his career as well.

Agreed, but he is our starting 2G and results are expected now, it's just the way this game works. All about expectations.