Whoa a bit: Calm down...Deloss Dodds in the Daily Texan | Syracusefan.com

Whoa a bit: Calm down...Deloss Dodds in the Daily Texan

arbitragegls

All Conference
...appears to believe that the ACC as well as the Big 12 are stable...and in fact are pursuing a football schedule alliance. For those who were on the BBALL chat Saturday evening, you know that this was mentioned as a cursory remark...now it appears to be gaining legs. Dodds views the realignment thing as the ACC and Big 12 against the B1G, Pac 12 and SEC. He believes that an alliance will make each conference stronger. And note the statement about sharing additional TV dollars...(this has and is being discussed in the ACC and Notre Dame). In a war, keeping your enemies close is sometimes a good thing...and making new friends by delivering dollars while you do it is also good for both conferences.

Dodds weighs on Big 12’s pursuit of alliance with ACC

The college football landscape has shifted recently, especially in the Big 12, which lost Colorado to the Pac-12, Nebraska to the Big 10 and Texas A&M and Missouri to the SEC over the last two years. But the Big 12 is now pursuing an alliance with the ACC that would facilitate both conferences to schedule games against each other every year and allow them to share TV revenue.
Could this alliance serve to, not only benefit the Big 12 and ACC, but also to stabilize this college football landscape?

'If you walk through it, the Pac-12 truthfully has no place to go to pick up teams, except the Big 12,” Dodds said. “The SEC and the Big 10 can pick up teams but it's only probably the ACC teams, maybe the Big East. So they're the conference that could be under attack. And the alliance between the Big 12 and the ACC, I think, strengthens them. I think that the Notre Dames of the world, it would unite them a little bit, toughen them a little bit. Then I think it would be less likely that anyone could pick one of their schools up.”

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/blogs/keeping-score/2013/03/18/deloss-dodds-on-chance-texas-plays-texas-am-‘we-get-to-decide-when-we

I'm lost on what the revenue sharing benefit might look like as well as how an alliance would lessen the ACC's chances of getting poached by the Big 10 or SEC.

...appears to believe that the ACC as well as the Big 12 are stable...and in fact are pursuing a football schedule alliance. For those who were on the BBALL chat Saturday evening, you know that this was mentioned as a cursory remark...now it appears to be gaining legs. Dodds views the realignment thing as the ACC and Big 12 against the B1G, Pac 12 and SEC. He believes that an alliance will make each conference stronger. And note the statement about sharing additional TV dollars...(this has and is being discussed in the ACC and Notre Dame). In a war, keeping your enemies close is sometimes a good thing...and making new friends by delivering dollars while you do it is also good for both conferences.

The college football landscape has shifted recently, especially in the Big 12, which lost Colorado to the Pac-12, Nebraska to the Big 10 and Texas A&M and Missouri to the SEC over the last two years. But the Big 12 is now pursuing an alliance with the ACC that would facilitate both conferences to schedule games against each other every year and allow them to share TV revenue.
Could this alliance serve to, not only benefit the Big 12 and ACC, but also to stabilize this college football landscape?

'If you walk through it, the Pac-12 truthfully has no place to go to pick up teams, except the Big 12,” Dodds said. “The SEC and the Big 10 can pick up teams but it's only probably the ACC teams, maybe the Big East. So they're the conference that could be under attack. And the alliance between the Big 12 and the ACC, I think, strengthens them. I think that the Notre Dames of the world, it would unite them a little bit, toughen them a little bit. Then I think it would be less likely that anyone could pick one of their schools up.”

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/blogs/keeping-score/2013/03/18/deloss-dodds-on-chance-texas-plays-texas-am-‘we-get-to-decide-when-we

Would they be thinking that these joint games would be handled like the Notre Dame ACC games where ESPN would get the ACC home games and Fox would get the Big XII home games? Or perhaps ESPN for all of it. Then the networks would bid on these games.

I could see them bringing back the Backyard Brawl with Pitt/WVU, bringing back WVU/VT, WVU/Syracuse, etc. I could see Texas/FSU, Texas/Clemson. Oklahoma and whomever. Stuff like this being attractive matchups.

Would they be thinking that these joint games would be handled like the Notre Dame ACC games where ESPN would get the ACC home games and Fox would get the Big XII home games? Or perhaps ESPN for all of it. Then the networks would bid on these games.

I could see them bringing back the Backyard Brawl with Pitt/WVU, bringing back WVU/VT, WVU/Syracuse, etc. I could see Texas/FSU, Texas/Clemson. Oklahoma and whomever. Stuff like this being attractive matchups.
Good thinking...the TV contracts are held for home games only...neutral games do not count necessarily as a network affiliate...they can be bid out. Now it is also possible that ESPN or Fox for example, would want Texas vs. Notre Dame; FSU vs. Oklahoma etc and be willing to pay additional for them...by making the schedule from a conference standpoint two points are achieved:
1. Better scheduling and RPI for each conference important in NC selection
2. Provides dollars which is primary reason to move from one conference to another--nothing said that these games will generate millions and millions...but we are at a point where any additional dollars help keep everyone from being less happy.

People need to start realizing that like has been stated before, the ACC and B12 will be the leftovers when the carousel stops. Whether it is called the B12, the ACC or something else doesn't matter. It'll be the SEC, the Big10, the Pac10 and the B12ACC.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Um, Mr. Dodds: Hasn't your conference already lost teams to both the B1G and SEC?

Um, Mr. Dodds: Hasn't your conference already lost teams to both the B1G and SEC?

And the Pac12.

Oklahoma to the B1G, Okie State to SEC would make sense. Texas could pick where they want to go but Dodds seems to be trying to give best case scenario for B12 to remain viable.

And the Pac12.

Oklahoma to the B1G, Okie State to SEC would make sense. Texas could pick where they want to go but Dodds seems to be trying to give best case scenario for B12 to remain viable.

All things considered, the Pac 12 taking at least 2 Big 12 schools, and the B1G and SEC taking 2 each still seems to make the most sense. There are enough teams in the Big 12 to give each of those conferences new markets with both of their picks. That is if the plan is to go to 16 and call it quits.

The University of New Mexico isn't too far off from Utah in terms of enrollment, endowment, and market size, so maybe they'd be an option for the Pac 12.

The University of New Mexico/Albuquerque and University of Arizona/Tucson are like mirrors images. Tucson is a city of 520,000 in a metropolitan area of nearly 1 million. Albuquerque is a slightly larger city at 550,000 but the metro area is smaller at 900,000. The respective universities have 35,000 and 39,000 students -- both good size schools -- with sub-par football programs. I'd say New Mexico is a great fit for the PAC12 and it fills in the missing corner in the Four Corners.

You're overlooking the best ones: Wake Forest @ Iowa State and Kansas @ Duke.

People need to start realizing that like has been stated before, the ACC and B12 will be the leftovers when the carousel stops. Whether it is called the B12, the ACC or something else doesn't matter. It'll be the SEC, the Big10, the Pac10 and the B12ACC.

Yea...about that carousel. It may be stopping sooner that Delaney and Slive planned. Because if one TV provider does this, they are all doing it. And as someone who's spent time working very closely with one of the country's largest television operators, I can tell you they've all been working on similar models FOR YEARS. It gets closer every round of carriage negotiation.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php...uld-be-disastrous-for-conference-tv-networks/

Texas to the ACC with Notre Dame, Oklahoma, and West Virginia for football strength, Kansas, Kansas St for basketball 1st 20 team league. That group is better in football, basketball, and everything but wrestling, would be able to create a national network better then the other 3 conferences combined.

Yea...about that carousel. It may be stopping sooner that Delaney and Slive planned. Because if one TV provider does this, they are all doing it. And as someone who's spent time working very closely with one of the country's largest television operators, I can tell you they've all been working on similar models FOR YEARS. It gets closer every round of carriage negotiation.

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php...uld-be-disastrous-for-conference-tv-networks/

that very well could change things, but only in how the conferences construct their models. it wont stop realignment but would stop the rutgirls to the b10 type moves.

that very well could change things, but only in how the conferences construct their models. it wont stop realignment but would stop the rutgirls to the b10 type moves.
Bees do you really think that FSU is going to bolt?

Bees do you really think that FSU is going to bolt?

No idea and I didn't say they would.

You're overlooking the best ones: Wake Forest @ Iowa State and Kansas @ Duke.
Who is going to pick up the savage rivalry of Rutgers v Seton Hall?

Who is going to pick up the savage rivalry of Rutgers v Seton Hall?
Well it is the best Hoops rivalry in the Big East...someday we should aspire to those levels on intensity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom