Who's our most important player tonight? | Syracusefan.com

Who's our most important player tonight?

jdubs30

Living Legend
I know, the answer could be "everyone", but if we need one guy 100% on that gives us the best chance to win, who is it?

Gillon - having the Gillon from Pitt/Miami show up
AW3 - shooting a high percentage from the field and being consistent in both halves
Lydon - Scoring from all 3 levels at a high rate, rebounding, and staying out of foul trouble
Robey - b eing a BEAST on the glass a la @Duke last year
TT - being at least average defensively, which allows us to use him for big minutes on offense

Personally, I'd go with Robey or Gillon. Gillon playing like that will make everyone better offensively. If Robey owns the glass though, that negates a big UNC advantage.

Thoughts?

I know, the answer could be "everyone", but if we need one guy 100% on that gives us the best chance to win, who is it?

AW3 - shooting a high percentage from the field and being consistent in both halves
Lydon - Scoring from all 3 levels at a high rate, rebounding, and staying out of foul trouble
TT - being at least average defensively, which allows us to use him for big minutes on offense

Personally, I'd go with Robey or Gillon. Gillon playing like that will make everyone better offensively. If Robey owns the glass though, that negates a big UNC advantage.

Thoughts?

If Gillon thinks he's going to drive the lane and do anything but kick the ball out we are in trouble. The trees are too tall at UNC for him to worm his way through and score.

I'm hoping Robey has a big night but seems like they schemed well for his offensive rebounding.

Here's what I'm hoping for. Let the big who gets the ball at the foul line shoot it. Yeah, it's an easy shot, but it's better than giving up a dunk and a foul shot when we inevitably foul the cutter/dunker and gets Lydon or TT sat down quickly. It also allows the guards to play the shooters on the wings so we don't give up uncontested threes.

I also hope White plays great D and hits the boards hard. He needs to help out there on both ends.

Last edited:
If Gillon thinks he's going to drive the lane and do anything but kick the ball out we are in trouble. The trees are too tall at UNC for him to worm his way through and score.

I'm hoping Robey has a big night but seems like they schemed well for his offensive rebounding.

Here's what I'm hoping for. Let the big who gets the ball at the foul line shoot it. Yeah, it's an easy shot, but it's better than giving up a dunk and an foul shot when we inevitably foul the cutter/dunker and gets Lydon or TT sat down quickly. It also allows the guards to play the shooters on the wings so we don't give up uncontested threes.

I also hope White plays great D and hits the boards hard. He needs to help out there on both ends.
I actually think the back line of the zone is better than it was last year. Lydon and Robey are the same - Mali was long but wasn't really that great at the zone - AW3 is a much better rebounder than Mali was and he's starting to get how to play that spot (still makesa few mistakes tho). So I'm hoping we battle them tough on the boards.

I'm with you - give up that FT line jumper - if they start hitting it, then we adjust. Justin Jackson always kills us with those freaking floaters though.

Thoughts?
Not could be but should be. A) its a team game and B) if only one guy is "100%" then there is little chance of winning.

Not could be but should be. A) its a team game and B) if only one guy is "100%" then there is little chance of winning.
Well my premise was if 1 guy was "on" and everyone else played to their season average. So 15 from White, 12 from Lydon, 12 from Battle, etc.

We need Coach Eric Devendorf to get into the minds of the UNC players. Get them off their game.

In all honesty, I find it hard to believe we have any chance in this game. We would need 20+ from White and Lydon, 15+ from Battle, 13+ from Gillon, 10+ from TT, 20 boards from Robey AND we still have to keep UNC from outrebounding us by 25. We will need Meeks and Hicks to be in early foul trouble and often and Berry to shoot terribly. This is just the ultimate awful matchup and every single thing needs to go right for us to win.

We need White to be unconscious from 3 IMO. The issue will be that UNC will probably put someone on him who is very athletic and bigger. Not sure who they will put on him but White doesn't have the handle to punish them if they put a bigger body on him. My guess is they put 6'8" Justin Jackson on him.

A huge key for SU to stay in this will be getting back in transition, even after we score. UNC takes the ball out of the basket and can get to the rim in a flash. Can't give up easy baskets. Have to get the 2-3 set and hope they have a cold shooting night and we clean up the boards. Even if we wind up with like a -7 rebound margin, that wouldn't be too bad. Roberson better bring it.

I just hope the team comes in with a winning mindset. Some toughness would be refreshing. We've folded like a cheap camera under duress.

We need White to be unconscious from 3 IMO. The issue will be that UNC will probably put someone on him who is very athletic and bigger. Not sure who they will put on him but White doesn't have the handle to punish them if they put a bigger body on him. My guess is they put 6'8" Justin Jackson on him.

A huge key for SU to stay in this will be getting back in transition, even after we score. UNC takes the ball out of the basket and can get to the rim in a flash. Can't give up easy baskets. Have to get the 2-3 set and hope they have a cold shooting night and we clean up the boards. Even if we wind up with like a -7 rebound margin, that wouldn't be too bad. Roberson better bring it.

I just hope the team comes in with a winning mindset. Some toughness would be refreshing. We've folded like a cheap camera under duress.

If they put Jackson on White, Lydon should have the advantage on the perimeter against Meeks or Hicks.

Roberson

Even if everyone else plays great, if we are outrebounded by 25, we don't have a chance. Robey with 15 boards is our only shot of keeping the rebounded margin <20.

EDIT: I should also say that we don't need 15 from Robey if we can get 25 rebounds from White/Lydon/TT but I have more faith in Robey getting 15 than those three guys getting 25

If they put Jackson on White, Lydon should have the advantage on the perimeter against Meeks or Hicks.

Meeks will not guard Lydon, they will put him on Thompson. TT should be able to run circles around Meeks and draw him out to shoot his jumper. Either Hicks or Jackson will guard Lydon and the other will guard White. I actually like our matchups offensively for Lydon and Thompson. I'm really concerned about our rebounding, so that's why Roberson might play a lot. The issue with that is our offense when Roberson is in. Pick your poison.

Meeks will not guard Lydon, they will put him on Thompson. TT should be able to run circles around Meeks and draw him out to shoot his jumper. Either Hicks or Jackson will guard Lydon and the other will guard White. I actually like our matchups offensively for Lydon and Thompson. I'm really concerned about our rebounding, so that's why Roberson might play a lot. The issue with that is our offense when Roberson is in. Pick your poison.

Who's covering Battle in this scenario? He might be the guy who can go off tonight and keep us close. I was picturing Jackson on him, but I think you're probably right the way you laid it out.

Last edited:
I agree that he would have trouble finishing inside, but I want him to penetrate and find Roberson or Lydon or, as you say, kick it out. I think he has to penetrate in order to open up good looks for everyone else. And, I think that if a big engages him too high, he has the quickness to get past the big and to the rim for a layup or two.

It will come down to how much big boy contact they allow. If Meeks is allowed to bump TT off his path, then that could negate his speed advantage. And, playing in the Dean Dome, I would expect Meeks to get away with a lot.

Whose covering Battle in this scenario? He might be the guy who can go off tonight and keep us close. I was picturing Jackson on him, but I think you're probably right the way you laid it out.

Kenny Williams probably at the start of the game. That said, I expect Theo Pinson to come off the bench and check Battle. Pinson is finally looking like he's ready to play big minutes.

Kenny Williams probably at the start of the game. That said, I expect Theo Pinson to come off the bench and check Battle. Pinson is finally looking like he's ready to play big minutes.
Pinson scares me a little.

It will come down to how much big boy contact they allow. If Meeks is allowed to bump TT off his path, then that could negate his speed advantage. And, playing in the Dean Dome, I would expect Meeks to get away with a lot.
True. I just can't see Meeks guarding Lydon on the perimeter. That's why I doubt he guards him. If he does, Roy will recognize his mistake very quickly. Lydon would light them up on pick and pops.

True. I just can't see Meeks guarding Lydon on the perimeter. That's why I doubt he guards him. If he does, Roy will recognize his mistake very quickly. Lydon would light them up on pick and pops.
Totally agree, it has to be Meeks on Thompson or Roberson. And, I hope Roberson doesn't pick up a couple of quick over the back calls, because Meeks has him locked down with his fat ass.

I'll use the now-cliche Tyson quote: "everyone has a plan 'til they're punched in the mouth."

All of this talk and analysis is great, but I'm more concerned how our team will react when we get hit.