Whose Job Is This Anyway? | Syracusefan.com

Whose Job Is This Anyway?

MaxwellCuse

All Conference
So it appears that Doug Marrone is unhappy with "fan support," specifically as it relates to moving forward with a $20-25 million dollar practice facility dedicated to the football program? Of which 75% ($15-18.8 million) was already in hand at some point in the past?) This prompts a couple of questions:

Is it Chris Gedney who is falling down on the job? Chris' job description reads, in part: "Senior associate athletics director Chris Gedney is responsible for solicitation of major gifts for athletics, coordinating and managing the donor prospect pool, and for the day-to-day operations of the Orange Club."

Or is it TGD who is falling down of the job for not either lighting a fire under Chris and his people or finding a real "rainmaker?" I'm not looking for someone to blame so much as I'm trying to figure out how things work up on the Hill.

Along those lines are there specific Trustees or Life Trustees who partner with the AD to work on development issues? I mean formally, not something that might be self-initiated by an interested individual such as CTO.

Finally, why are alumni who are not in the position to be major donors (such as myself) never asked to support specific fundraising initiatives such as a football practice facility?

This is one thing I'm worried about, the non fan support soundbite. If this rumor gets out and my dollar to donuts thinking is we'll have a hundred yahoos screaming on the airwaves on Marrone hasn't won anything and whatever else the always angry and uninformed yell about. Granted it ain't going to be no NY, Philly or Chicago but it certainly isn't a welcoming thing either, especially when you're thinking of leaving.

It would appear it is Chris's job based upon the job description and I am sure he is working hard at it (I think). But I was also surprised to see him doing a TV gig during the Pinstripe Bowl, so who knows.

As to the individual small donors, I know when I paid my donation for preferred seating I did it online and it allowed you to pay "more" and target it. There were about 10-15 choices but I can't remember how the break out was. Maybe it was just individual sports (I put mine towrds football) but maybe there were some specific initiatives...I just don't recall.

Bees that is a great way to get extra money from fans and alum who live in the area, but those of us who live elsewhere don't have that opportunity. But it does show you that effort is being made to be creative in fundraising.
I can tell you that Chris Gedney is doing his job as well as he can. Campaigns to raise money cost money and that is where the problem may lie. I think they are maybe going after the large donors because they don't have the staffing and funds to run a camapign that reaches out to the masses. As I have stated in previous posts I had presented a fundraising idea to the football program, and I did get immediate response to that. It was well received, just the issues I mentioned already of staffing and funds. Mailings cost money. Fulfillment costs money, if you are going to send out something for giving a donation, which in my plan would be done.
I have resent my idea to my original contact as a reminder. I have stated that many people are interested in donating right now. I also told them about my "44 for football" facebook page, so that maybe they could use it or see how they can use social media or grassroots efforts to help fundraising.
I'll let everyone know what happens with this.

Another idea??? Why doesn't everyone on here who is concerned, and interestd in raising money for facilities send in a check right now. Why do you need to wait to be asked? Send it directly to someone like Chris Gedney with a note that you want it to go towards the football program or new football training facilities. If everyone on here did that, I am sure they would be thrilled, and it might also help them to jump start a campaing to reach those of us who are not giving thousands of dollars.

I thought Floyd Little was going to be the point person for generating large donations.

Ultimately the responsibility for fundraising for the AD department falls on the AD.

So it appears that Doug Marrone is unhappy with "fan support," specifically as it relates to moving forward with a $20-25 million dollar practice facility dedicated to the football program? Of which 75% ($15-18.8 million) was already in hand at some point in the past?) This prompts a couple of questions:

Is it Chris Gedney who is falling down on the job? Chris' job description reads, in part: "Senior associate athletics director Chris Gedney is responsible for solicitation of major gifts for athletics, coordinating and managing the donor prospect pool, and for the day-to-day operations of the Orange Club."

Or is it TGD who is falling down of the job for not either lighting a fire under Chris and his people or finding a real "rainmaker?" I'm not looking for someone to blame so much as I'm trying to figure out how things work up on the Hill.

Along those lines are there specific Trustees or Life Trustees who partner with the AD to work on development issues? I mean formally, not something that might be self-initiated by an interested individual such as CTO.

Finally, why are alumni who are not in the position to be major donors (such as myself) never asked to support specific fundraising initiatives such as a football practice facility?
$20 - 25M??? I thought the # was down in the $8-14M range for a top end indoor facility given that most of the facilities are already in place and this wouldn't be an all-encompassing building.

that # can't be right

$20 - 25M??? I thought the # was down in the $8-14M range for a top end indoor facility given that most of the facilities are already in place and this wouldn't be an all-encompassing building.

that # can't be right

You may well be correct Mojo. I've used that figure only because several other SyracuseFan posters have used it. We all could be full of cr&p. I would appreciate it someone who knows the actual amount of money needed could post that amount.

This is why we need a FARM (Fan Acquisition and Retention Manager)!

I'm not a schmoozing type, so can't comment on that aspect. Feel free to shoot these down, but I'd like to see things like:
Exhibition basketball games played around the state in non-Syracuse places. If they are meaningless games, might as well use them to spread state interest.​
Football is harder, which is why I guess they moved the scrimmages. What about something in Elmira (I know nothing about Elmira)? More love for Ernie.​
Hiring people like Michael Borkowski (if they haven't already) to do artwork. It's gotta look cool for a recruit to see portraits of team members. Hell, paint the lounge in the new facilities that way.​
Hire someone like Sean to write marketing emails while you're at it. All I ever seem to get from SU is stuff like t-shirt offers. I want some feel-good stories, gosh darn it.​
I know NYC is the golden goose, but how expensive could it be to have marketing in every city in NY state? New York's College Team needs to go beyond just NYC. We aren't a public or land-grant school, but we should try to milk every ounce of state pride that we can.​
Someone to poll the concerns of donors and fans. Not just "write to this guy," but someone skilled in social media. And I'd like to see something like status graphs for fund raisers, instead of just "send money here." That's the reason why Kickstarter works.​
Threaten to cut off the PS if they don't hire a G*d d**m comments moderator! Or just disable commenting altogether. You can't reason with trolls.​

Another idea??? Why doesn't everyone on here who is concerned, and interestd in raising money for facilities send in a check right now. Why do you need to wait to be asked? Send it directly to someone like Chris Gedney with a note that you want it to go towards the football program or new football training facilities. If everyone on here did that, I am sure they would be thrilled, and it might also help them to jump start a campaing to reach those of us who are not giving thousands of dollars.
We're already focused on new uniforms for the SUMB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom