Why are teams automatic from 3 agaisnt us | Syracusefan.com

Why are teams automatic from 3 agaisnt us

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
Late in games? It's unbelievable how many dagger 3s are hit against us. Many have ended our season. Even this year, albrecht hit a dagger 3 for michigan. Greene from St. John's hit 3 in a row. Nova hit the 3 to cut it to 2, that misses it's game over. Va tech hit 3 or 4 in the last couple minutes to cut it to 2, they miss any of those it's over, although miraculously missed at buzzer. Boeheim should tell them to foul, I'd rather take my chances with them missing a ft cuz u know those dagger 3s are going in. I swear to god if the game is tied in the last minute I'd rather give up a layup or foul then give up a long 3. You can recover from a layup, once that dagger 3 goes in, and it usually does, it's deflating and game over. End of ramble.

Late in games? It's unbelievable how many dagger 3s are hit against us. Many have ended our season. Even this year, albrecht hit a dagger 3 for michigan. Greene from St. John's hit 3 in a row. Nova hit the 3 to cut it to 2, that misses it's game over. Va tech hit 3 or 4 in the last couple minutes to cut it to 2, they miss any of those it's over, although miraculously missed at buzzer. Boeheim should tell them to foul, I'd rather take my chances with them missing a ft cuz u know those dagger 3s are going in. I swear to god if the game is tied in the last minute I'd rather give up a layup or foul then give up a long 3. You can recover from a layup, once that dagger 3 goes in, and it usually does, it's deflating and game over. End of ramble.
they aren't. It just seems that way. Most times teams miss against us. That is why we win so many close games every year.

It's funny, I had this exact same thought process yesterday and almost posted it... thanks for getting it done. It's certainly the way it feels, even if it's not necessarily true statistically.

Well this season so far in late close games, our guys have decided the smart thing to do is double team drivers into the lane and leave shooters open on the kick out. Happened in all of those games that you mentioned. I rather(JB also) that they just stay out on the shooters and let the driver get the deuce over Rak, than gamble on the double team. Especially if we're up by 5 or so with 20 secs left or whatever.

Well this season so far in late close games, our guys have decided the smart thing to do is double team drivers into the lane and leave shooters open on the kick out. Happened in all of those games that you mentioned. I rather(JB also) that they just stay out on the shooters and let the driver get the deuce over Rak, than gamble on the double team. Especially if we're up by 5 or so with 20 secs left or whatever.
I thought the same thing ... let them drive in and stay out on shooters. This is exactly what Temple did to us a couple years ago when MCW was playing. Of course it only works if Rak has fouls to give ... but I think he only had a couple fouls against him down the stretch against V-Tech.

At any rate, this doesn't answer the thread question ... it just provides a potential scheme against it (hot 3 pt shooting down the stretch). I'm not sure that, overall, teams are shooting that well against us from outside. But they're certainly taking a lot of shots. To my eye, it's because of the following factors:

1- we've been playing teams that are smaller and struggle to score against us inside. The perimeter is their best option;
2- the best opportunities against the zone are outside past the defenders. It's hard enough to guard guys past 21 feet, but even more difficult when they use high screens and kickouts;
3- we've been a bit tentative in late-game situations .. allowing the other team to gain confidence and play above their talent level. This is because of ball handling issues, lack of depth and experience and some home-cooking. We're improving ... but this next stretch of games is going to test us.

Last edited:
They don't we shot better from three than our opponents.

SU: .290
Bad Guys: .285

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom