Why Aren't We Recruiting a PG for '15-16? | Syracusefan.com

Why Aren't We Recruiting a PG for '15-16?

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
Listen - Joseph is going to get better. He's going to make better decisions eventually. Whether that's this year or not is anyone's guess, but he will improve I have no doubt about that.

But why on earth are we not recruiting another point guard? Do they believe Franklin Howard is a PG? I certainly do not think he's a pure PG.

Don't for the life of me understand why we have only had one PG on the roster in each of the last two years.

Howard will play PG. And no, we're not converting him into one. He is a PG, despite the scouting sites listing him as a SG.

Also, there's no reason to think Joseph won't be a very good guard next season.

imo, Joseph is not ready to handle physical pressure at all right now. He doesn't invite contact.

imo, Joseph is not ready to handle physical pressure at all right now. He doesn't invite contact.

He's not ready to handle much of anything right now. But a season of experience and an offseason to work on all of the weaknesses will do wonders. He's going to surprise a lot of people next season.

His dribbling is very loose. Like he's playing a pickup game with some friends. I don't expect to see him drive to the hoop and win many battles at the moment, if not just turn it over. In fact, his overall game is pretty loose right now in a not good way. Especially compared to Ennis.

He's not ready to handle much of anything right now. But a season of experience and an offseason to work on all of the weaknesses will do wonders. He's going to surprise a lot of people next season.

I'd rather he surprises a lot of people this season.

Listen - Joseph is going to get better. He's going to make better decisions eventually. Whether that's this year or not is anyone's guess, but he will improve I have no doubt about that.

But why on earth are we not recruiting another point guard? Do they believe Franklin Howard is a PG? I certainly do not think he's a pure PG.

Don't for the life of me understand why we have only had one PG on the roster in each of the last two years.

Is 'Cuse completely off Toronto's Jamal Murray?

I thought he was still in play for SU.

The reason why we only have one point guard on the roster the last few years is because of who we have recruited. The guys we were recruiting were so highly recruited, that they wanted to only go to programs where they would start. Joseph only came to the Cuse because Ennis was projected as a one and done. The same can be said for why Ennis chose the Cuse( MCW- was leaving). We have had two years in a row with a point guard that started only one year before gong to the Pros.

Dr. Bill said:
The reason why we only have one point guard on the roster the last few years is because of who we have recruited. The guys we were recruiting were so highly recruited, that they wanted to only go to programs where they would start. Joseph only came to the Cuse because Ennis was projected as a one and done. The same can be said for why Ennis chose the Cuse( MCW- was leaving). We have had two years in a row with a point guard that started only one year before gong to the Pros.

Ennis wasn't projected as a one and done.

And not many thought MCW would leave after playing one year.

Moral of the story: if you lose a player after one year, particularly a point guard, you better have someone of equal ability to replace him.

I think you're wrong about this. Ennis was not projected as a one and done and Joseph committed before anyone knew Ennis wouldn't be back. Similarly Ennis committed before anyone had a clue MCW would be gone. But nonetheless they each played significant minutes only one season and were gone. This year that is catching up with us. Losing Ennis leaves us without a guy who is ready to handle the PG duties and without a reserve at the position.

I think you're wrong about this. Ennis was not projected as a one and done and Joseph committed before anyone knew Ennis wouldn't be back. Similarly Ennis committed before anyone had a clue MCW would be gone. But nonetheless they each played significant minutes only one season and were gone. This year that is catching up with us. Losing Ennis leaves us without a guy who is ready to handle the PG duties and without a reserve at the position.
Absolutely right about Ennis. I think most people thought he would be at least 2, maybe even 3 years. Not really the same with MCW, though...he was already in Chad Ford's top 30 when Ennis committed, so people were already starting to talk about him possibly leaving after his sophomore year by that point (Ennis committed in 8/12).

Joseph would be a great backup PG as a freshman, who steps in and becomes a star when he gets the nod as a sophomore. Unfortunately, he was thrust into the starting role and he's not quite ready. Reminds me a lot of Jason Hart's freshman year right now. Jason was completely lost to start that season and started getting better and better as the year wore on.

Reminds me a lot of Jason Hart's freshman year right now. Jason was completely lost to start that season and started getting better and better as the year wore on.

Also makes me wonder what would have happened if Sherman had played as a frosh. It doesn't help us today but you we have to remember that Joseph is getting thrust into the starting role without a go to offensive guy in the lineup, with a second completely inexperienced frosh starting and a rotating door at the SF position (three different starters in 8 games) and a backcourt mate that is absolutely lost on offense.

Not really an ideal situation in which to get your on the job training.

jekelish said:
Absolutely right about Ennis. I think most people thought he would be at least 2, maybe even 3 years. Not really the same with MCW, though...he was already in Chad Ford's top 30 when Ennis committed, so people were already starting to talk about him possibly leaving after his sophomore year by that point (Ennis committed in 8/12). Joseph would be a great backup PG as a freshman, who steps in and becomes a star when he gets the nod as a sophomore. Unfortunately, he was thrust into the starting role and he's not quite ready. Reminds me a lot of Jason Hart's freshman year right now. Jason was completely lost to start that season and started getting better and better as the year wore on.

JB needs to give KJ the chance to grow this year even if it means missing the tourney.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

jekelish said:
Absolutely right about Ennis. I think most people thought he would be at least 2, maybe even 3 years. Not really the same with MCW, though...he was already in Chad Ford's top 30 when Ennis committed, so people were already starting to talk about him possibly leaving after his sophomore year by that point (Ennis committed in 8/12). Joseph would be a great backup PG as a freshman, who steps in and becomes a star when he gets the nod as a sophomore. Unfortunately, he was thrust into the starting role and he's not quite ready. Reminds me a lot of Jason Hart's freshman year right now. Jason was completely lost to start that season and started getting better and better as the year wore on.

So, if many thought MCW was leaving in August prior to his sophomore year, why didn't SU recruit a point guard as a backup to Ennis?

JB needs to give KJ the chance to grow this year even if it means missing the tourney.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I agree, because there isn't any alternative on the bench. We aren't going anywhere with MG manning the point. I think tonight was part of the growing process. JB can't put him out there and not enforce consequences when he f's up. I would be shocked if he doesn't play 30+ minutes in our next game...that is assuming he learned something from the benching tonight.

So, if many thought MCW was leaving in August prior to his sophomore year, why didn't SU recruit a point guard as a backup to Ennis?
And have 2 freshman pg's? (Ennis and whom ever) Who would have come to SU to backup another freshman or how good would he have been anyways? Nobody goes to back up someone in his own class. Also now days you don't recruit hs seniors. That process has to start way before then.

And have 2 freshman pg's? (Ennis and whom ever) Who would have come to SU to backup another freshman or how good would he have been anyways? Nobody goes to back up someone in his own class. Also now days you don't recruit hs seniors. That process has to start way before then.

Hence the reason I said '15-16.

KJ needs to give KJ the chance to grow this year by playing hard all the time. When he gets his pocket picked (acceptable) he hangs his head and trots (unacceptable) instead of trying to run the guy down to stop the layup. Buss, on the other hand, tries to do too much but no one can complain about his effort. The same can be said about Mike G. for the most part, though he does suffer some What lapses. Too bad you can't rub a little bit of Johnnie Flynn's toughness, even cockiness, into Kaleb.

by accounts here, one of the recruits is a pg.

Can agree to disagree. I don't believe him to be a true PG. And multiple others don't either. Hope we're wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom