Why Bullough is a good coach | Syracusefan.com

Why Bullough is a good coach

PAcuse

Hall of Fame
Let's look at the stats, not our secondary against a Heisman finalist and whose team is in the heat of the race for a NC. I looked over the stats for SU's defenses since 2009 and hear is what I've found:

Total Defense ranked #62 (395 yds/gm), best year 2010 #7 (300.0 yds/gm). Clemson game hurts this number and I'm sure it will go down in the next couple of weeks.

Pass Defense ranked #104 (276 yds/gm), best year 2010 (235.2 yds/gm). Mr. Boyd looks good

Rush Defense ranked #27 (119 yds/gm), best year 2009 (101.83 yds/gm). Most people where worried about our front 7, looks like they are doing a great job

Scoring Defense ranked #70 (27.4/gm), best year 2012 (24.8/gm). That is a less than a FG per game.

Sacks ranked #23 (2.80/gm), best year 2009 (2.92/gm). Our DE's have been a huge surprise and we have some good young ones. DE will be a huge strength of this team.

INT ranked #26 (1.40/gm), best year 2013. Next closest was 2011 with 0.83/game

Fumbles ranked #36 (4), best year 2009 (12). Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers (need more)

Pass's Defended #75 (4.20/gm), best year 2013. We have been bad at this for a while (all other years had us ranked in 100's)

Opp 3rd down conversion #12 (28.38), best year 2013. Next closest was 2009 at 35.48.

If you look at the stats our defense has been playing nicely. The problem with the Clemson game is their talent outclasses ours by a long shot. Speed and talent is so much better in the ACC then we have ever seen in the Big East (R.I.P.). The secondary was banged up and when your safety takes the bait on the same play twice to get burnt for huge TD's that is not a coaching issue in my mind.

Mr. Bullough I am happy to have you at Syracuse leading our defense!!!

Let's look at the stats, not our secondary against a Heisman finalist and whose team is in the heat of the race for a NC. I looked over the stats for SU's defenses since 2009 and hear is what I've found:

Total Defense ranked #62 (395 yds/gm), best year 2010 #7 (300.0 yds/gm). Clemson game hurts this number and I'm sure it will go down in the next couple of weeks.

Pass Defense ranked #104 (276 yds/gm), best year 2010 (235.2 yds/gm). Mr. Boyd looks good

Rush Defense ranked #27 (119 yds/gm), best year 2009 (101.83 yds/gm). Most people where worried about our front 7, looks like they are doing a great job

Scoring Defense ranked #70 (27.4/gm), best year 2012 (24.8/gm). That is a less than a FG per game.

Sacks ranked #23 (2.80/gm), best year 2009 (2.92/gm). Our DE's have been a huge surprise and we have some good young ones. DE will be a huge strength of this team.

Fumbles ranked #36 (4), best year 2009 (12). Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers (need more)

Pass's Defended #75 (4.20/gm), best year 2013. We have been bad at this for a while (all other years had us ranked in 100's)

Opp 3rd down conversion #12 (28.38), best year 2013. Next closest was 2009 at 35.48.

If you look at the stats our defense has been playing nicely. The problem with the Clemson game is their talent outclasses ours by a long shot. Speed and talent is so much better in the ACC then we have ever seen in the Big East (R.I.P.). The secondary was banged up and when your safety takes the bait on the same play twice to get burnt for huge TD's that is not a coaching issue in my mind.

we're 107th in total defense against FBS schools. (PSU, NW, Tulane, Clemson)

if you get a game against wagner where you only give up 87 yards and you're still only 62nd , your defense might suck

average total offense ranking of FBS schools we've played so far 52

remaining schedule average 62.

if you get a game against wagner where you only give up 87 yards and you're still only 62nd , your defense might suck

So we should improve slightly!

What's scary is how often we're out of position in the secondary. I'm not talking about Clemson, I'm talking about all of the other games so far this year. It's happened enough where it's a pattern and not just a random mistake. The lack of pass rush from the d-line doesn't help and should have been expected by everyone, considering we weren't that great last year and lost our two best pass rushing DE's. It seems like some of the secondary stuff should be fixable with good coaching. The pass rush issue will only be fixed through recruiting.

What's scary is how often we're out of position in the secondary. I'm not talking about Clemson, I'm talking about all of the other games so far this year. It's happened enough where it's a pattern and not just a random mistake. The lack of pass rush from the d-line doesn't help and should have been expected by everyone, considering we weren't that great last year and lost our two best pass rushing DE's. It seems like some of the secondary stuff should be fixable with good coaching. The pass rush issue will only be fixed through recruiting.
Yeah, I'm with you on this.

Jeez, NW and Clemson basically walked down the field and scored whenever they wanted to.

We have a lot of work to do.

idk. Seems like both Northwestern and Clemson took us by surprise. Not sure we were ready to defend what they threw at us to start either game.

You might suck

Can I have some??

Bullough has taken a fundamentally unsound, but at times effective, defense and turned it into a dumpster fire. The defense for the most part under Shafer has given up big yards and long plays, but so far this year has been a whole other level. The run defense has been solid but giving up 275 yds a game passing and 12 passing tds in five games is pretty poor. They need to get that fixed in a hurry.

Last edited:
Bullough has taken a fundamentally unsound, but at times effective, defense and turned it into a dumpster fire. The defense for the most part under Shafer has given up big yards and long plays, but so far this year has been a whole other level. The run defense has been solid but giving up 275 yds a game and 12 tds in five games is pretty poor. They need to get that fixed in a hurry.
We have the number 27 rush defense and it needs fixed? Yes we have had two bad games against a top 25 team and a top 3 team (maybe NC). I would not call this defense a dumpster fire. The secondary needs lots of work, but the front 7 is playing very well.

After the next 2-4 games we will have a better idea of where this defense is at. The secondary has to be reworked because of the Lyn injury and we need to get them to make better decisions when reading if it is a pass or run. If you pass this team on the NW and Clemson game the whole staff should be fired and we need to move on, but guess what we are still a rebuilding program that needs a lot of improvement before we can start running with top 25 teams. We won't get anymore soft BE top 25 teams we are in a real conference now.

We have the number 27 rush defense and it needs fixed? Yes we have had two bad games against a top 25 team and a top 3 team (maybe NC). I would not call this defense a dumpster fire. The secondary needs lots of work, but the front 7 is playing very well.

The reason the rush defense looks good on paper is because capable teams know it is so easy to pass on us they don't bother to rush until they are up 3+ TDs to kill clock.

We constantly give up huge passing plays to sell out to stop the run (that isn't coming). In the Clemson game alone I saw at least 5 or 6 broken coverage plays go for either touchdowns or 40+ yards.

I meant the pass defense. They need to reduce the number of big plays they are giving up.

The secondary needs lots of work, but the front 7 is playing very well.

Cam has been completely exposed in coverage. Not sure what's going on there, but he is being targeted by opposing OC's.

Also, Esk was responsible for 3 td's against Clemson. He needs to stop trying to cheat up on runs, then bite on the playaction. Especially when your CB is in a short zone. Super, super frustrating.

Cam has been completely exposed in coverage. Not sure what's going on there, but he is being targeted by opposing OC's.

Also, Esk was responsible for 3 td's against Clemson. He needs to stop trying to cheat up on runs, then bite on the playaction. Especially when your CB is in a short zone. Super, super frustrating.

Lynch is an excellent downhill LB'er, but he's not good in coverage. He'll be great against teams like GT and BC, probably end up with 10+ tackles.

That many broken overages:
  1. your players are dense or uncoachable
  2. the coaches have not done their jobs
Take your pick. I don't know what else there is. Somebody tell me there is a third option, please.

That many broken overages:
  1. your players are dense or uncoachable
  2. the coaches have not done their jobs
Take your pick. I don't know what else there is. Somebody tell me there is a third option, please.

3. The defensive scheme being implemented each week is exacerbating existing weaknesses.

I'm going with a combo of 2 and 3. We have athletes in the secondary and based on last year's results, they sure seemed coachable. Dumpster fire is an apt description of this secondary. I would put the DC and DB coach on notice that their jobs are on the line this week but that's just me.

3. The defensive scheme being implemented each week is exacerbating existing weaknesses.

I'm going with a combo of 2 and 3. We have athletes in the secondary and based on last year's results, they sure seemed coachable. Dumpster fire is an apt description of this secondary. I would put the DC and DB coach on notice that their jobs are on the line this week but that's just me.
3 is a good point.

think
Bullough has taken a fundamentally unsound, but at times effective, defense and turned it into a dumpster fire. The defense for the most part under Shafer has given up big yards and long plays, but so far this year has been a whole other level. The run defense has been solid but giving up 275 yds a game passing and 12 passing tds in five games is pretty poor. They need to get that fixed in a hurry.
its time for shafer to get involved ( or more involved )

You forgot #4: NFL caliber senior QB's and WR's.

it is too bad that of all the coaches on staff Chuck is to Shafer as D was to P

If you're going to overlook the suckiness of the stats because we played Clemson...think about how awful they would be if we hadn't played Wagner, who might lose to some Texas high school teams. That was the worst offensive team I've ever seen Cuse play. I'd say that more than evens out Clemson.

Clemson and Northwestern have made everyone they play look like fools defensively. Ohio State's DB's were getting killed by NW and the only 2 things that saved them were their defensive pressure and their offense which is a lot better than SU's.