Why can't college basketball players wear numbers 6 thru 9? | Syracusefan.com

Why can't college basketball players wear numbers 6 thru 9?

Alsacs

Living Legend
This rule is ridiculous the NCAA doesn't allow ANY college basketball players to wear a number that includes a 6, 7, 8, 9 in it. Refs can identify numbers using two hands the NBA does it. This is a rule I just found out about because a family friend got recruited to play basketball at Northeastern and he wears number 7 in high school and the coach told him he can't wear 7 in college. Not a big deal, but found this rule to be really dumb.

Because of when the ref's call fouls, they can only use 1 hand at a time (so 1-5 work, then 11-55)

thats interesting because I didnt think it was allowed in HS either. left my rule book at home so I cant remember if its still in it, but every site i found still says 0-5 for HS and college.

I never realized it till very recently, but it seems like an archaic rule. Refs can easily identify who the foul is on with 2 hands. They make corrections all the time if the wrong guy is charged. Let the kids wear whatever number they want.

That's it, the NBA doesn't care about that. I'm sure it's because college basketball has 300+ teams. And all walks of life scoring and refereeing the games that there is more of a chance for error vs a small group of highly paid people in the NBA

This rule is ridiculous the NCAA doesn't allow ANY college basketball players to wear a number that includes a 6, 7, 8, 9 in it. Refs can identify numbers using two hands the NBA does it. This is a rule I just found out about because a family friend got recruited to play basketball at Northeastern and he wears number 7 in high school and the coach told him he can't wear 7 in college. Not a big deal, but found this rule to be really dumb.
On Mars they can wear any numeral between -13 and +13 (they operate in base 13).
Of course the ref's have 27 fingers on each fin.

On Mars they can wear any numeral between -13 and +13 (they operate in base 13).
Of course the ref's have 27 fingers on each fin.
Thanks for playing.

The NCAA: 120 years of tradition unimpeded by progress.