Why can't we recruit big, bad dudes? | Syracusefan.com

Why can't we recruit big, bad dudes?

Eric15

Living Legend
Jeff Adrien, Chevy Troutman, Montrezl Harrell types who enforce the lane.

I love Cuse hoops more than life itself, but it just seems like since Derrick Coleman graduated in 1990, you can count on one hand tops the number of our teams that were legitimately tough and imposing.

(Maybe this is just my frustration talking)

I love Cuse hoops more than life itself, but it just seems like since Derrick Coleman graduated in 1990, you can count on one hand tops the number of our teams that were legitimately tough and imposing.

AO and Rick Jackson were tough in there. Wallace and Hill. Etan.

2010 and 2012 had pretty imposing lineups i think, before then i have to go back to 2003 for a tough backline

the Trob/Mookie/Nichols years should have been, but they didnt play quite as big as they looked

EDIT: also this team should have had a 6-9 250lb McDonald all american backed up by a 7'2" upperclassman. Can't always account for the unexpected.

Fabio Melo

Ah, read the first 3 names and blacked out in anger. Gonna need a few minutes before I respond to this thread with something more on topic

JB prefers the thin wirery types not the chiseled linebacker types.

He does expect his centers to be able to contest three pointers in the corner, so you're not far off.

He does expect his centers to be able to contest three pointers in the corner, so you're not far off.

Isn't it the worst feeling seeing our center flee out to the corner to contest a 3 point shot? Because you know one of two things are going to happen. 1. He hits the 3 or 2. We let up an easy offensive board because there is nobody under the basket and an easy layup (sometimes with an and 1 call to boot)

Almost better off just letting up the open 3.

Isn't it the worst feeling seeing our center flee out to the corner to contest a 3 point shot? Because you know one of two things are going to happen. 1. He hits the 3 or 2. We let up an easy offensive board because there is nobody under the basket and an easy layup (sometimes with an and 1 call to boot)

Almost better off just letting up the open 3.

I especially love the third option - the center fouls the shooter in the act of shooting. Resulting in 3 easy shots, or that rare 4-point play.

Lydon is good about not doing that because he plays the wing so often. But DCII would do it. Baye Keita did it..

I agree with your last statement. Don't contest, and look for someone to box out.

It's too bad that Moustpaha Diagne never made it here. I bet he wouldn't get bullied and big-boyed down low as much as these guys do. We give up so many SC Top 10 dunks it seems almost every game now.

It's too bad that Moustpaha Diagne never made it here. I bet he wouldn't get bullied and big-boyed down low as much as these guys do. We give up so many SC Top 10 dunks it seems almost every game now.

Did that one-handed alley oop make it? That was pretty sweet. The first one, not the put back one hander.

Wow we gave up a bunch of dunks tonight.

I agree with those. But it seems like for every one tough team, we have two or three teams that get completely pushed around.
I'd throw Rak in there as well. Only team he struggled with was UNC. It they could throw multiple bodies at him. We were a one trick pony that year.

I watched the highlights in the media thread after the presser, and rather than it showing something about the Cuse recovering from EPIC deficits numerous times, it was mostly Louiville thunderous slams. I was not pleased.

I'd throw Rak in there as well. Only team he struggled with was UNC. It they could throw multiple bodies at him. We were a one trick pony that year.

Maybe a narrowed version of Rak. Even senior season, I seemed to recall him being less of a factor down the stretch, especially vs UNC, as you pointed out. Freshman Meeks had his way with him then if I recall...and Roy still has him on the team now. Meeks bugs me the same way some of you all have your pet players, partly because he's on UNC. Please go to the NBA this year King Jeremy The Wicked, please? Seriously, we're talking about players who in their senior season had trouble against some of the freshman behemoths from other teams.

I think the "wiry" thing may have some merit, but haven't we recruited some large oafs that we didnt land? Maybe with Hopkins things will change?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom