Why didn't Orange bring in backup point | Syracusefan.com

Why didn't Orange bring in backup point

Humyak

Walk On
The big mistake the Orange made this year was not bringing in a backup point this year . There had to be a serviceable point they could had brought in from a Juco school. Maryland years ago was able to bring Steve Francis in. I think coach just thought the team wasn't going to be very good THIS Year. It kills me that they could have done something to improve the backcourt depth and chose not to.

I think that was what they were thinking with Patterson, even though he is usually considered a 2.

Yep, he should have found that juco that was going to end up going 3rd in the draft.

Yep, he should have found that juco that was going to end up going 3rd in the draft.
Any Juco point would be better than burning out Enis and having a 25 - 3 team that looks like toast.

Any Juco point would be better than burning out Enis and having a 25 - 3 team that looks like toast.
yeah it's ennis' fault Cuse lost 3 games!

You think Ennis is burnt out?

Humyak said:
The big mistake the Orange made this year was not bringing in a backup point this year . There had to be a serviceable point they could had brought in from a Juco school. Maryland years ago was able to bring Steve Francis in. I think coach just thought the team wasn't going to be very good THIS Year. It kills me that they could have done something to improve the backcourt depth and chose not to.

JB attempted to recruit a 5th year Senior transfer but the player decided to go elsewhere. Simply put, trying to recruit a kid to come and sit the bench is not an easy thing to do. And in no way did JB think this team could not be good.

bilde

We did show some interest in Memphis transfer Antonio Barton (Click)

Soon-To-Be Transfer, Antonio Barton, Considering Syracuse - Troy ..

He ended up at Tennessee & look what they did to Vandy led by him, handing them a 38 point loss. Vandy was the team who almost beat Florida earlier in the week

David Climer: Antonio Barton's play gives Vols hope to make NCAAs

As far as recruiting a JUCO I may be mistaken but SU is trying to main GPA's for NCAA compliance and doesn't want to jeopardize future scholarship reductions or a ban from the NCAA tournament as UConn suffered.

Last edited:
JB attempted to recruit a 5th year Senior transfer but the player decided to go elsewhere. Simply put, trying to recruit a kid to come and sit the bench is not an easy thing to do. And in no way did JB think this team could not be good.
SU also tried to sign Rysheed Jordan, a gifted combo guard from Philly who eventually decided to focus on playing in the NIT (he selected St John's).

Thats why it was so GD hard to convince Kaleb Joseph to come here a year after Ennis despite SU being his dream school. Sitting the pine early is not something elite talents want to do. But at least Joseph knew/knows that he'd only have to wait a year as Ennis was perceived as a 2 and done guy, bringing a guy in the same class as Ennis a perceived 2 and done guy means that guy has to wait a minimum 2 years to see the floor with any type of regularity.

It's also why the staff is (presumably) praying like h*ll that Ennis stays next year before jumping that way we aren't in a solo guard situation again next year and hopefully we have Battle coming in to play behind Joseph in 2016

Much less a mistake than a lack of success.
As others have noted we did try to bring in another point but it's hard to recruit someone to essentially be a backup or 3rd guard.

Lately, we've handled the problem very well.
We've had backcourts with two capable starting points.
The problem with that is...you may lack the reliable lights out shooter.
Trevor Cooney has been up and down although his handle is enormously improved.

By the way...I loved Andy Rautins...but Trevor Cooney is shooting a better percentage this year than Andy did for his career from 3 and overall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom