Why do HCs stand the whole game? | Syracusefan.com

Why do HCs stand the whole game?

Alsacs

Living Legend
The better the coach is the less they stand IMO.
JB doesn't stand the whole game.
K/Roy/Pitino/Calipari/Self/ these guys don't stand the whole game.
They stand up a lot to yell stuff out but they act with been there done that restraint.
Does anyone know why these coaches stand up and walk up and down the sidelines every single possession?

Underrated thing I'll miss about Boeheim: his sideline demeanor.

Not just the sitting/standing thing that you note, but generally not making himself part of the action. Say what you will about the guy, but he respects the coaching box.

I'm guessing stress, anxiety, excitement. Outside of emotions I think it's easier to bark orders from the sideline standing up than sitting down.
Yeah I was going to say if your players are on the other end of the court, it's harder to pick out the guy who is seated than the one who is standing up

Because they're coaching for their jobs every year?

I think there's something to that.

They don't want to be second-guessed on anything, so they put in ridiculous hours and do goofy things like lurch around on the sidelines. Sound and fury, signifying nothing. But at least they've got that "fire."

The Buzz Williams' or Jamie Dixons of the coaching world believe screaming the whole game, sometimes right in an opposing player's ear may lead to a slight advantage for their team. Or that could be far from the truth, as I just can't stand their acts.

They stand up a lot to yell stuff out but they act with been there done that restraint.
Does anyone know why these coaches stand up and walk up and down the sidelines every single possession?

squirrel massage.gif

One of my huge pet peeves is coaches ranting and raving on the sidelines, out on the floor or way up past the coaches' box near midcourt. Hate that referees don't "T" offenders up more for both.

Over the years, it has been fun to watch a lot of those sideline lunatics go into a shell at the end of games, when we'd put them down. That Indiana Crean game in 2013 is a perfect example--he's a maniac on the sidelines the whole game, and then just sits in stunned silence the last few minutes as inevitability sets in.

Can't stand the Jamie Dixon's the Creans, etc. who go berzerk the whole game.

I, too, will miss JB's sideline demeanor. We're heard several of our players over the years talk about how him never seeming panicked helps the team not panic in tight game situations.

John Wooden used to sit for the entire game with a rolled up program (or something similar) in his hands. He said that if he had done his job properly, he could just sit in the stands confident he had taught his players what to do, regardless of the situation.

During the Georgia tech game at the dome this season the coach was on the court practically to the half court line. That was the furthest on the court I've seen before. I think the refs gave him a warning.

During the Georgia tech game at the dome this season the coach was on the court practically to the half court line. That was the furthest on the court I've seen before. I think the refs gave him a warning.

Yes, there was also a coach in a round of 64 game this year who got too far out on the court, yelling to his players. The ref gently but firmly walked him back to the sideline, which was good solid move by the ref. No whistle, no T, no problem downstream from there. For the most part, the refs don't want to make a call there (unless it's warranted) for a couple of reasons. It draws attention to themselves over something that's not really relevant to the game on the floor - the competition between the players - which is the real reason everyone is there: players, coaches, refs, fans. Also the leagues/associations have a policy on how that's to be handled, and that's how the two refs we're talking about here handled it. For if you step outside the guidelines set by the boss or the powers that be, you don't get any more good games. Because if you're not on the same page as everyone else, you're going to cause a problem.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom