Why do we go crazy when the walk ons come on? | Syracusefan.com

Why do we go crazy when the walk ons come on?

bballbeadle

Woman of a certain age
Don't get me wrong. I get as tickled as anyone, and root for them loudly and lustily. But tonight the energy in the Dome was so - - lacking - - and it felt like such a ho hum game (except for that bit in the second half when the team seemed quite lively) but bring in the walk ons at the three minute mark and it is 76 Trombones in that place! I felt a little bad for the "regular" team, but you can't fail to notice that they love the walk ons as well.

Why aren't we loud and raucous when the guys make good plays? The small crowd was three times as loud for the walk ons; it was startling how much louder.

It's an odd psychological phenomenon. I am not complaining. Just curious as to what others experience or what they think.

I think because as bball fans we have all at some point been shooting hoops by ourselves somewhere playing out big game fantasises. We want to see the guys make shots because it touches some sort of unrealistic childhood hope.

Don't get me wrong. I get as tickled as anyone, and root for them loudly and lustily. But tonight the energy in the Dome was so - - lacking - - and it felt like such a ho hum game (except for that bit in the second half when the team seemed quite lively) but bring in the walk ons at the three minute mark and it is 76 Trombones in that place! I felt a little bad for the "regular" team, but you can't fail to notice that they love the walk ons as well.

Why aren't we loud and raucous when the guys make good plays? The small crowd was three times as loud for the walk ons; it was startling how much louder.

It's an odd psychological phenomenon. I am not complaining. Just curious as to what others experience or what they think.

It's kind of sad that the SU fans lack energy most of the game, but it is refreshing when they go nuts for the walk ons. They're almost like "outsider polticians", instead of the usual suspects, and people enjoy seeing the underdogs finally get a rare chance to do something. The only reason I felt semi down about seeing them come in with a whole 3 minutes+ left was that I didn't think they were liklely to make the century mark.

But lo and behold, even they were heroic and hit some shots they normally missed. Maybe that three that gave us 101 points was part of the cheering you are concerned about? I know I would be going ape for that if I was there! :)

Yeh, it's odd. Like what Jordoo said, maybe it's the root for the underdog thing. But this game was never close so I think people turn into quiet spectators. That's unfortunate because the scholarship players played very well and there was a lot to cheer about. As loud as the dome can be with a big crowd, it can be pretty dead with a small relaxed crowd.

It's kind of sad that the SU fans lack energy most of the game, but it is refreshing when they go nuts for the walk ons. They're almost like "outsider polticians", instead of the usual suspects, and people enjoy seeing the underdogs finally get a rare chance to do something. The only reason I felt semi down about seeing them come in with a whole 3 minutes+ left was that I didn't think they were liklely to make the century mark.

But lo and behold, even they were heroic and hit some shots they normally missed. Maybe that three that gave us 101 points was part of the cheering you are concerned about? I know I would be going ape. . . . for that if I was there! :)
Yeh, markers like 75 for tacos and breaking 100 really get the crowd going.

That was a great walk on performance against scholarship players.

They rebounded OK had 7 points in 3 minutes. That play where 18 names dunked was very well executed.

Last edited:

JB was a walk on. One of them may possibly be a legendary coach someday.

When you walk into the building expecting to win by 30+ it is easy to just sit down and enjoy the game. Players are so athletic these days that you see awesome plays and abilities as routine. It isn't just Syracuse, the Dean Dome isn't rocking when UNC Asheville comes to town either. The walk-ons are more relatable to the crowd because they aren't 6'8 athletic freaks, and they put in the effort everyday for free. They pay their own way and work as hard if not harder than the main guys. They deserve to be praised and cheered as loudly as possible!

That was a great walk on performance against scholarship players.

The rebounded OK had 7 points in 3 minutes. That play where 18 names dunked was very well executed.

I did some math, and I think that comes out to 91 points if they kept that pace for 40 minutes. Especially due to the century mark, I was feeling their performance as heroic! I get tired of seeing the in and outs(not in the meaning used in Clockwork Orange or Fargo), and other close misses. It felt amazing to finally see them go in!

Walks ons are the everyman (or woman). Few of us can visualize ourselves playing on a level of NCAA div. 1 basketball, but we can see ourselves cleaning up at the end of a game, and maybe hitting a three.

BTW, our walk ons need to work on defense. I think they gave up 10 pts. in the last minute and a half.

70! It was changed last year because we didn't have much offense.

After this season, they may have to change it back to keep it interesting! Heck, they may even need to raise it to 80!

Walks ons are the everyman (or woman). Few of us can visualize ourselves playing on a level of NCAA div. 1 basketball, but we can see ourselves cleaning up at the end of a game, and maybe hitting a three.

BTW, our walk ons need to work on defense. I think they gave up 10 pts. in the last minute and a half.

I think part of it is they aren't as worried about being Boeheimed(tm) as the scholarship players. ;) It might be funny if some of them did get that at some point. It seems like this season they are going to get more action than some other seasons, so they'd be wise to hone their craft as much as possible. Like other players, I think their confidence will grow as it becomes a reality in their minds that they are actually in a game...I think subconsciously it may take time, but with familiarity, I think they can gain the comfort to perform like they do in practice without a crowd watching them.

I find it enjoyable talking about the prospect of how the walk ons play this season!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom