Why Don't We Have Donors? | Syracusefan.com

Why Don't We Have Donors?

javadoc

All American
Wanted to have a thread just for this angle. I am actually perplexed by this, and am hoping that others can help shed some light.

Are facilities projects in general (not only at SU) funded by large donations from one or two people? I know that a campaign will involve lots of $100 checks, but is there usually some magnate who chips in the first N million?

If so, how much are the donations and from what kinds of folks? Guys like Knight or Pickens can seemingly fund everything themselves, but what about at places like Tennessee? Oregon State? North Carolina?

Where are those donors for us? Do our business grads simply not care about the football program? Maybe there is a problem with having the students feel that football is an essential part of their time on the hill, so that they don't care about it after graduation.

Trying to raise $15M or whatever for a new indoor practice facility, when I look around the country and see what is occurring elsewhere, seems like such goddamn small potatoes. And 4 years in we're still passing the hat and proffering procedural shackles as an excuse for inaction? It's so frustrating.

I know it's not much in the grand scheme of thing but we could even have an annual Syracusefan.com event or at least an annual fundraising drive with the ability for all of us to put in whatever we can for facilities. I'm 29 and not ballin by any stretch of the imagination but I imagine there's a lot like me who would donate to the cause if we had a concerted effort. Maybe, at least that could get the ball rolling, but I have no clue where we come up with the millions necessary for such an undertaking and yes, that's definately frustrating.

Wanted to have a thread just for this angle. I am actually perplexed by this, and am hoping that others can help shed some light.

Are facilities projects in general (not only at SU) funded by large donations from one or two people? I know that a campaign will involve lots of $100 checks, but is there usually some magnate who chips in the first N million?

If so, how much are the donations and from what kinds of folks? Guys like Knight or Pickens can seemingly fund everything themselves, but what about at places like Tennessee? Oregon State? North Carolina?

Where are those donors for us? Do our business grads simply not care about the football program? Maybe there is a problem with having the students feel that football is an essential part of their time on the hill, so that they don't care about it after graduation.

Trying to raise $15M or whatever for a new indoor practice facility, when I look around the country and see what is occurring elsewhere, seems like such goddamn small potatoes. And 4 years in we're still passing the hat and proffering procedural shackles as an excuse for inaction? It's so frustrating.

These are truly million dollar questions (no pun intended.)

I have no idea the answers and seems that the canvassing efforts (as well as results / lack their of) are held tightly to the vest by TGD.

Has anyone heard valid figures on where the tally is at for team & practice facility funding?

How much are we short?

can someone call Marty Whitman and tell him to build us a football facility.

I have been a season ticket holder for many years, I have paid the the season licensing fees for many years, I donate extra money to the football and basketball programs every year but no one has ever contacted me to ask for a donation, explain why it is needed, etc.

IMHO, our AD offices does a horrendous job rasiing funds at all levels. The numbers speak for themselves.

But the problem is worst with mid to lower level possible donors. Ther SU AD offices don't even try to get funds from this group.

Hire some work study students at minimum wage to do cold calls. Write a script for them to read explaining the fund drive and why it is important.

Send out email messages to everyone who has given, been a season ticket holders, is an alum, etc. with the same message and a request for donations. Explain donation levels and what you get for each level. Be sure to have a bunch of levels.

Do a mass mailing to the same target audience.

Most importantly, set up a permanent web site that makes it easy to make donations to SU Athletics for whatever the initiatives are that are currently being targeted (new practice facility for football, SUMB uniforms/sousaphone/hot dog and a drink/road trip fund, etc.)

The whole thing could easily be done for $10K.

I can't believe that this huge potential source of funding has been completely written off. The powers that be clearly can't get money out of the big potential donors for athletics. Perhaps they might have some success with the medium and small fish.

I have been a season ticket holder for many years, I have paid the the season licensing fees for many years, I donate extra money to the football and basketball programs every year but no one has ever contacted me to ask for a donation, explain why it is needed, etc.
Now would be a great time to put together a slick video presentation of the vision for an indoor football facility, coupled with a reminder of what being in the ACC for football means. Show it on the new video boards during hoops games. Have a convention-style booth in the backcourt side with more info. Maybe folks' attention will be captured more that way than via a cold call or email campaign.

I read an ESPN snippet a few days ago that Missouri had two, yes that's 2, donors pony up $38M for athletic facility improvements. Mizzou!

How about coming up with a fundraising plan and then making it public? That would be a start.

You can donate pretty easily when football tix are renewed. The thing about the practice facility that pisses me off is I was never contacted to donate I had to track down gedney to actually donate. Why not a website specific to donating to football facility anytime one wanted?

You can donate pretty easily when football tix are renewed. The thing about the practice facility that pisses me off is I was never contacted to donate I had to track down gedney to actually donate. Why not a website specific to donating to football facility anytime one wanted?

This is ing stupid. How easy is it to set up a website for donations?

IMHO, our AD offices does a horrendous job rasiing funds at all levels. The numbers speak for themselves.

But the problem is worst with mid to lower level possible donors. Ther SU AD offices don't even try to get funds from this group.

Hire some work study students at minimum wage to do cold calls. Write a script for them to read explaining the fund drive and why it is important.

Send out email messages to everyone who has given, been a season ticket holders, is an alum, etc. with the same message and a request for donations. Explain donation levels and what you get for each level. Be sure to have a bunch of levels.

Most importantly, set up a permanent web site that makes it easy to make donations to SU Athletics for whatever the initiatives are that are currently being targeted (new practice facility for football, SUMB uniforms/sousaphone/hot dog and a drink/road trip fund, etc.)

I can't believe that this huge potential source of funding has been completely written off. The powers that be clearly can't get money out of the big potential donors for athletics. Perhaps they might have some success with the medium and small fish.

Good stuff Tom and dead on. I'm right there with you and just don't get it. Big or small donor, I don't know what the problem is or why the simple things arent in place.. Like OT said, I too don't get the general lack of alumni support.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

OK. I have written this on many threads, including one yesterday that outlined my fundraising plan that I presented to the athletic department last year. They responded via email, and I received a phone call from Chris Gedney saying that they liked my idea, and hoped to possibly implement it in the future. I have resent the email today. I have emphasized that there seem to be a lot of people interested in donating right now, and also with the good season we just had that maybe this might be a good time.

I have provided both a link to a facebook site I set up with the hopes of motivating people to donate. The facebook site link is http://www.facebook.com/#!/SyracuseUniversity44ForFootball. I have gotten 25 likes in less than 24 hours. I have sent the link to the athletic department via my email.

Also I provided a link from the athletic site about how to donate money. The only difference is that I sent a check today, and wrote specifically "FOR SYRACUSE FOOTBALL" on the bottom. Here is the link from the athletic department http://www.suathletics.com/sports/2012/7/5/GEN_0705123050.aspx.

My campaign idea revolves around sending in denominations related to 44. I sent in $352 today which is 44x8 wins. The basic premise is so that people can just send in $44 or $144 or $440 or if you are so inclined $44,000...
I will keep you posted if I get any specific info back from the athletic department.

Wasn't that was Chris Gedney was hired to do?

ive been an alumni for 8 years i have never been contacted to donate anything to SU. I also think they need to have a plan and have it articulated correctly to get donors excited. University as a whole does an awful job with Alumni.

Yea blows my mind - for all the advertising fund raising doc gross does, he needs to push for fan and community support. Ie a nice dinner with marrone and famous football alum - mcnabb, freeney, maybe not Harrison, graves, coach Mac etc.

Wonder if we could organize everyone on the board to give just $10 and ear mark it for "make Doug happy" at leat it shows support and well give more later

OK. I have written this on many threads, including one yesterday that outlined my fundraising plan that I presented to the athletic department last year. They responded via email, and I received a phone call from Chris Gedney saying that they liked my idea, and hoped to possibly implement it in the future. I have resent the email today. I have emphasized that there seem to be a lot of people interested in donating right now, and also with the good season we just had that maybe this might be a good time.

I have provided both a link to a facebook site I set up with the hopes of motivating people to donate. The facebook site link is http://www.facebook.com/#!/SyracuseUniversity44ForFootball. I have gotten 25 likes in less than 24 hours. I have sent the link to the athletic department via my email.

Also I provided a link from the athletic site about how to donate money. The only difference is that I sent a check today, and wrote specifically "FOR SYRACUSE FOOTBALL" on the bottom. Here is the link from the athletic department http://www.suathletics.com/sports/2012/7/5/GEN_0705123050.aspx.

My campaign idea revolves around sending in denominations related to 44. I sent in $352 today which is 44x8 wins. The basic premise is so that people can just send in $44 or $144 or $440 or if you are so inclined $44,000...
I will keep you posted if I get any specific info back from the athletic department.

Can I send in $4,444,444?

Good stuff Tom and dead on. I'm right there with you and just don't get it. Big or small donor, I don't know what the problem is or why the simple things arent in place.. Like OT said, I too don't get the general lack of alumni support.

Simple. No one asks. People aren't going to mail in money for the hell of it.

I get contacted by LeMoyne in some form or fashion about once a month seeking donations. Usually a phone call or a mailer or an email. Anybody familiar with LeMoyne knows how many millions they've raised in capital improvements from athletic facilities to new buildings and programs.

The amount of money they've raised and spent is shocking imo considering their size. I want to say its pushing 100 million dollars. Aside from a few big gifts i think the donations are largely from pounding the pavement.

http://www.lemoynedolphins.com/information/TurfComplex/Landing

There is a website for athletic gifts. There is no specific IPF selection. The best you can do is donate to "Football" and enter the IPF in the comments.

https://secure.syr.edu/giving/athletics_giving.aspx

I have seen it before. What I find disappointing is there is no specific or stated goal for each respective team, etc. This could easily be placed on the homepage on SUAthletics.com.

Also, anyone notice the default drop down for the page you linked is a donation to Men's basketball? Hmmmm...;)

The sad thing is, SU, like most other colleges, is probably paying some consultant (or consultants) thousands upon thousands of dollars to help develop fundraising strategies, and this is what we get. It's a damn shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom