Why Frank in the final 7 seconds | Syracusefan.com

Why Frank in the final 7 seconds

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
just curious as to what you think the thought process was there? May have been explained but with Lydon and everyone else on perimeter I would have left a big for a possible tip and OT. Guess that is why JB is JB and I post on a fan forum.

Gave us another shooter where Robey doesn't give you that. Plus you run the risk of his defender slacking off to double team someone else as they know he can't shoot unless it's near the basket.
Ding ding ding.

Brown in the postgame interview, said that his team never got told by the officials and they just didn't notice that we had taken Robey out for Battle. Which is why Battle was so open because his defender thought he was Robey and left him open at the 3.

Gave us another shooter where Robey doesn't give you that. Plus you run the risk of his defender slacking off to double team someone else as they know he can't shoot unless it's near the basket.
Frank wold get the same treatment - only 20 feet from the hoop. Worked out, was just curious. The thought of putting FH on the floor for his shooting and ball handling does make me laugh.

Don't know if this was intended (though it sure didn't look like the pass back to Lydon was intended, either), but Frank served as a great decoy on the inbound. Big benefit to having two point guards on the floor, even though he hasn't been a very good point guard in the past couple months. Gminski correctly made a big deal about denying the inbound to Gillon, but Clemson's less likely to sell out on that when there's another point guard out there who could burn them.

Also, the Roberson free throw thing. Holy crap, there's no defending that. Brick after brick, I think he's missed ten in a row over four or five games.

Ding ding ding.

Brown in the postgame interview, said that his team never got told by the officials and they just didn't notice that we had taken Robey out for Battle. Which is why Battle was so open because his defender thought he was Robey and left him open at the 3.
This is the coach who tried calling TO without having one. I didn't realize the refs had to tell the opposing bench about a substitution. What? Uh look at to the scorer's table.

Frank wold get the same treatment - only 20 feet from the hoop. Worked out, was just curious. The thought of putting FH on the floor for his shooting and ball handling does make me laugh.
Not sure why it makes u laugh? There was not going to be a rebound chance so Robey had little value in that spot. U could argue TT but not Robey

benches dont get told anything on subs..

did anyone hear what happened on the foul at the end of the first half where someone couldnt count?

howard can shoot a little, robey cant, unless you are really playing for a rebound why have robey in? and what if they really tried to take Gillum away on the inbound or pressed?

Don't know if this was intended (though it sure didn't look like the pass back to Lydon was intended, either), but Frank served as a great decoy on the inbound. Big benefit to having two point guards on the floor, even though he hasn't been a very good point guard in the past couple months. Gminski correctly made a big deal about denying the inbound to Gillon, but Clemson's less likely to sell out on that when there's another point guard out there who could burn them.

Also, the Roberson free throw thing. Holy crap, there's no defending that. Brick after brick, I think he's missed ten in a row over four or five games.
Yeah, it's been ten misses in a row. His FT shooting has regressed every year: 68%, 64%, 58% and 48% this year.

Yeah, it's been ten misses in a row. His FT shooting has regressed every year: 68%, 64%, 58% and 48% this year.

Too much weight lifting or the realization he's most likely not going to play in the NBA?

Too much weight lifting or the realization he's most likely not going to play in the NBA?

I don't know. I think the kid has shown it is all between his ears. He always thinks too much. At the foul line, he's standing there all alone and he's thinking. When he thinks, he stinks.

48% is just ridiculous. That is as pathetic as it gets.

I could be wrong, but I really thought the play was drawn up for Lydon (reminded me of the play Nova ran to win the title last year). From about the time Guillon passed halfcourt, if not a step or so earlier, it seemed like Lydon was going to get the ball dropped back to him.

I could be wrong, but I really thought the play was drawn up for Lydon (reminded me of the play Nova ran to win the title last year). From about the time Guillon passed halfcourt, if not a step or so earlier, it seemed like Lydon was going to get the ball dropped back to him.
...and Gillon didn't/ couldn't get deep enough, so Lydon got the toss way out near Clemson logo. His drive was cut off and he found Battle.

Last edited:
In case they couldn't get the ball to Gillon on the inbounds.

He gets drawn into the middle a little too much and for some reason doesn't recover instinctively at all. He's got the skills, though. One more reason to root for a sophomore year for Battle: he could be an all-time great defender here. It'd also help if he played along even one teammate who's above-average. Or even average. It's a negative feedback loop for bad players surrounded by bad players in a zone. Everyone suffers.

I thought Lydon said in the post-game interview that they were trying that Villanova game winning play. The pass back to the trailing Jenkins/Lydon. But it wasn't there. Gillon did try to screen his inital defender like Arci did but he was on the wrong side/angle of that kid, imo. The guy supposed to be guarding Lydon was right there unlike Bryce Johnson who was a tad late getting up on Jenkins. It was just an awesome play by Lydon to drive and dish there.

Yeah, I meant more where it was dumped off to him. Wouldn't surprise me if the trailer play was deliberate, Gillon's done that a couple times this season.

I don't know. I think the kid has shown it is all between his ears. He always thinks too much. At the foul line, he's standing there all alone and he's thinking. When he thinks, he stinks.

48% is just ridiculous. That is as pathetic as it gets.

Arinze and Stevie Thompson would disagree. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom