Why is everyone overvaluing this game? | Syracusefan.com

Why is everyone overvaluing this game?

jdubs30

Living Legend
This is no different than Rutgers, PC or Seton Hall. It's a loss, UConn outplayed us tonight, kudos to the Huskies, but we played horrible, but a loss is a loss in February, whether it's TCU, Oklahoma State, BC, or UConn.
8-3.
Tied for 1st in the Big East.
Everyone get a grip, 4 top 5 teams lost on the road this past week.

Thats really thing. I mean Miami struggled with Fl St tonight. ND went to OT with DePaul. Last week the entire top 5 lost. Its not the end of the world. Disappointing as hell but the end of our season.

I'm not overreacting cuz I am not surprised. I'd put us somewhere in the top 15-20. There is no effin way we are a top 10 team. Understand there is a shortage of high quality teams but we ain't one of em'.

Thats really thing. I mean Miami struggled with Fl St tonight. ND went to OT with DePaul. Last week the entire top 5 lost. Its not the end of the world. Disappointing as hell but the end of our season.
Disappointing in retrospect because we want to beat UConn. But this is a rivalry game against a team who had NO bigger game than tonight, but if you're CJ Fair who came here 3 years ago, who is like 5-1 against UConn, what does it mean to you? Why is this game bigger than a game vs. Cincinnati or Marquette? It isn't. We aren't in UConn's shoes because we aren't banned from the postseason and we've actaully won a game in the tourney the past 2 years, this game means about 1000x more to them than it does to us.

I'm not overreacting cuz I am not surprised. I'd put us somewhere in the top 15-20. There is no effin way we are a top 10 team. Understand there is a shortage of high quality teams but we ain't one of em'.
So who is? The team that to Illinois? TCU? Michigan State by 30? Oklahoma?

We lost to what will likely be a top 20 RPI team with 4 top 50 recruits in their starting lineup and an 11-1 record at home - it's hardly like losing to a crap team - give those effers some credit.

Rivalry game, it would suck if you guys were not upset. Great game

This is no different than Rutgers, PC or Seton Hall. It's a loss, UConn outplayed us tonight, kudos to the Huskies, but we played horrible, but a loss is a loss in February, whether it's TCU, Oklahoma State, BC, or UConn.
8-3.
Tied for 1st in the Big East.

I agree, jdubs. The only concern that tonight raised for me is that we seem to struggle with guards that have good speed and lateral agility. That can be an issue in March.

Otherwise, tonight was just not our night. Sure, we need to improve in certain areas, but it isn't the end of the world (or the season).

So who is? The team that to Illinois? TCU? Michigan State by 30? Oklahoma?

I'd say that there are 3-4 teams in the A-10 alone that could play us even up on a neutral floor. I'm tellin' ya we are a 7-8 loss team staring at a #4 seed in mid-March.

I'd say that there are 3-4 teams in the A-10 alone that could play us even up on a neutral floor. I'm tellin' ya we are a 7-8 loss team staring at a #4 seed in mid-March.
Yeah I'd like to see us vs. LaSalle on a neutral floor for a ticket to the Elite 8.

Meltdowns happen after every loss. I've gotten used to it. People lurk and wait for the team to lose to say how awful they are.

I'd say that there are 3-4 teams in the A-10 alone that could play us even up on a neutral floor.

I don't disagree, but I would say this is true for any team in the top 10. There just aren't any great teams this year, so they are all beatable, including us. However, they can all win games depending on match-ups, too.

Yeah I'd like to see us vs. LaSalle on a neutral floor for a ticket to the Elite 8.

Our track record against Philly teams ain't so hot this year. Butler, St.L and VCU could give us all we'd want. Lots of folks on this board are gonna be sorely disappointed down the stretch here. Way too many weaknesses to paper over.

Why is it we hear that if a 3 point shooting team takes a lot of 3 point shots they get a rebounding advantage because a missed 3 point shot will bounce further away from the hoop. Yet tonight we missed a crap load of 3 pointers and couldn't buy a rebound on a missed 3 to save our a**.

I don't disagree, but I would say this is true for any team in the top 10. There just aren't any great teams this year, so they are all beatable, including us. However, they can all win games depending on match-ups, too.

Very valid point. I just think our weaknesses make a sustained run difficult although admittedly not impossible.

We're losing to mediocre teams not highly ranked elite teams. Yea Michigan lost some games but to other top 12 teams on the road. loses like this which mount up are going to make it hard to get a favorable seeding and placement. That's the worry.

It's just hard to take this team too seriously. Good? Yes. Great? No.

We aren't in UConn's shoes because we aren't banned from the postseason and we've actaully won a game in the tourney the past 2 years

So did UConn, they won a Championship.

We're losing to mediocre teams not highly ranked elite teams.

Is UConn really mediocre? They beat Michigan St., Notre Dame, and us. They are 17-6 (7-4) with three top-25 wins on the resume--if they were eligible, they would be a likely NCAA Tourney team.

Pitt is #16 in the AP poll and #17 in the Coaches poll. Not really mediocre, either.

Temple doesn't look like a great loss right now, but it took lots of missed free throws for it to happen. Nova wasn't really a great loss, either, but it took a three at the buzzer to get them to overtime on their home floor. The point? We have two losses to "mediocre" teams that still were close battles to the end.

It's true that we're flawed, and those faults can lead to a loss in March. However, there aren't any flawless teams this season.

Is UConn really mediocre? They beat Michigan St., Notre Dame, and us. They are 17-6 (7-4) with three top-25 wins on the resume--if they were eligible, they would be a likely NCAA Tourney team.

Pitt is #16 in the AP poll and #17 in the Coaches poll. Not really mediocre, either.

Temple doesn't look like a great loss right now, but it took lots of missed free throws for it to happen. Nova wasn't really a great loss, either, but it took a three at the buzzer to get them to overtime on their home floor. The point? We have two losses to "mediocre" teams that still were close battles to the end.

It's true that we're flawed, and those faults can lead to a loss in March. However, there aren't any flawless teams this season.
Yes UConn is mediocre. They lost just lost to a St. Johns teams that SU blew out. They needed OT to beat both USF and Providence. They're not ranked. I didn't say they're bad just mediocre. If they were tourney eligible they be looking at an 8 seed area. Temple and Nova are both bubble teams that may or may not make the field. So yes, except for Pitt, we're losing to mediocre teams.

Yes UConn is mediocre. They lost just lost to a St. Johns teams that SU blew out. They needed OT to beat both USF and Providence. They're not ranked. I didn't say they're bad just mediocre. If they were tourney eligible they be looking at an 8 seed area. Temple and Nova are both bubble teams that may or may not make the field. So yes, except for Pitt, we're losing to mediocre teams.

So we just ignore the ranked teams they've beaten? Seems like UConn is a good team--not great by any stretch--but better than "mediocre."

Ask Coach Boeheim if any tourney team seeded above 12 or 13 is really "mediocre." I'd bet he'd say no. I doubt he's alone in that thought.