why is it that stabbings and suicides at private schools always make the news | Syracusefan.com

why is it that stabbings and suicides at private schools always make the news

retro44

Living Legend
but then cortland st. has had two suicides this year a not a peep in the news.

a girl was found hanging in her dorm room this weekend and nothing gets reported.

very few on campus even knew about this as almost all students went home this past weekend for an extended break.

I think the folks at Rutgers would disagree.

Whether this is legitimate or not (and it probably isnt), I think there is an underlying assumption that paying $40K a year should entitle one to a stabbing free education, and at the very least, should lower one's stabbing probability as opposed to a "state" school.

Again, not saying I agree with or believe this at all, as I think it is completely irrelevant in most instances, but I have heard this more than once.

but then cortland st. has had two suicides this year a not a peep in the news.

a girl was found hanging in her dorm room this weekend and nothing gets reported.

very few on campus even knew about this as almost all students went home this past weekend for an extended break.

suicides are not newsworthy, typically. it is not extraordinary, it does not affect the masses, it doesn't have much public interest. now, if someone famous commits suicide, that is news, because it is compelling on certain levels.

someone getting stabbed in a large oncampus arena is newsowrthy, like it or not. hundreds of thousands of visitors walk through the dome every year. anyone could be an innocent bystander to such an attack. also, it is timely since arena safety HAS been in the news lately with recent fan deaths due to falling from upper levels to the attack in san francisco resulting in a severly brain damaged fan.

however, the REAL story is the lackluster security at the dome and the completely unacceptable lack of planning/lack of foresight that went into the event. from what im reading, syracuse u designed a powerkeg eg. free event, star rappers, insufficient security.