Why isn't AW3 in the NBA? | Syracusefan.com

Why isn't AW3 in the NBA?

Eric15

Living Legend
Don't get me wrong, I couldn't be happier that he's our guy this year. I honestly think he might have the most refined offensive game for us since Melo (or Waiters). But just objectively speaking, why isn't he playing in the NBA right now? Did all these teams just completely overlook him? I don't get it.

Doesn't look like an NBA player to me. A classic old school polished senior - the type we saw many of back in the 80s and 90s. But he lacks athleticism. It is quite apparent. I don't think he will ever crack an NBA lineup, no matter how well he shoots. That said, love having him on this squad.

Doesn't look like an NBA player to me. A classic old school polished senior - the type we saw many of back in the 80s and 90s. But he lacks athleticism. It is quite apparent. I don't think he will ever crack an NBA lineup, no matter how well he shoots. That said, love having him on this squad.

Then again, I was convinced D-Nic would be a 10-year pro, so what do I know.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't be happier that he's our guy this year. I honestly think he might have the most refined offensive game for us since Melo (or Waiters). But just objectively speaking, why isn't he playing in the NBA right now? Did all these teams just completely overlook him? I don't get it.

Because he lacks many of the skills that are associated with wings, namely the ability to handle the ball and create for himself and others off of the bounce. He's also slow defensively--which doesn't have anything to do with his athleticism, but rather him being reactive which makes him a half step slower when trying to defend.

AWIII is a fine shooter. There is a place in the NBA for catch and shoot guys who can make jump shots. And he's got the requisite size. But anyone who expected him to be anything more than that was engaged in wishful thinking. He's a terrific player, he was exactly what we needed to fill Mali's departed shoes, and he's going to likely lead us in scoring. He was also the difference between this team being a borderline top 25 team or a team that could be top 5 / legit national championship contending team. But too much has been made of him getting the opportunity to "audition" for the NBA. At this stage of his college career--five years in--he is what he is -- which is a player in the Wes / DNic mold.

Then again, I was convinced D-Nic would be a 10-year pro, so what do I know.
If D Nic didn't have the false positive blood test (for hepatitis as I recall), he would likely have been a 1st round pick, which keeps you in the league much longer, as you are more likely to get a 2nd contract.

RF is spot on, he's got the same limitations as Wes, but with a quarter of the athleticism. Very good player, but the handle seems limited, and overall a little mechanical. He can shoot though, and who knows, that plus the rest could get him a shot.

You thought Waiters had a refined offensive game?

Because he lacks many of the skills that are associated with wings, namely the ability to handle the ball and create for himself and others off of the bounce. He's also slow defensively--which doesn't have anything to do with his athleticism, but rather him being reactive which makes him a half step slower when trying to defend.

AWIII is a fine shooter. There is a place in the NBA for catch and shoot guys who can make jump shots. And he's got the requisite size. But anyone who expected him to be anything more than that was engaged in wishful thinking. He's a terrific player, he was exactly what we needed to fill Mali's departed shoes, and he's going to likely lead us in scoring. He was also the difference between this team being a borderline top 25 team or a team that could be top 5 / legit national championship contending team. But too much has been made of him getting the opportunity to "audition" for the NBA. At this stage of his college career--five years in--he is what he is -- which is a player in the Wes / DNic mold.
Yep, agree. Frankly I don't care whether guys are future NBA or not. I care that they help our team. And AWIII is a HUGE help this year. Real good college player and that's what we need.

Putting aside his offensive shortcomings, I would like to see more fire on the defensive side of the ball. He looks to have zero interest in mixing it up to stop drives to the basket...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom