Why Kansas will win | Syracusefan.com

Why Kansas will win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Because they are Kansas and we aren’t

- Because they are blowing out everyone we merely beat.

- Because They are making three pointers like they were lay-ups, (51%) and we are giving them up, (in these last two games, anyway) at nearly the same rate, (48%). JB said they have 4-5 guys like Kevin Huerter, who torched us in the Maryland game.

- Beyond that, these last two teams have shown how to crack open a zone: get the ball into the top of the key and pass from there, mostly for those three pointers, as we collapse to protect the basket. I’m sure Bill Self saw that on film and smiled.

- I looked at the box scores of Kansas’ wins over Texas Southern, Oakland and Toledo. They didn’t just bomb them into submission form outside. They dominated in every aspect. They did make 37 of 72 from the arc, (51.3%). But that opened up the defense for two point shots: 84 of 142 (59.2%). They also dominated possession, out-rebounding the three teams 131-92, (13 a game) and forcing 52 turnovers to 28 of their own. No wonder JB said this is the best Kansas team he’s seen.

- We are 7 for 36 from the arc the last two games. If that continues, then we will have to go to the basket to score our points and Kansas will know that.

- With Geno Thorpe unavailable, Howard Washington having to play substantial minutes, (if Battle can’t go or if there is foul trouble), and that gives me visons of a freshman Jason hart against Kentucky in the Great Alaska Shoot-out. (We list that one 53-87 and it wasn’t that close).

- Jim is always calling for his team to “get back on defense”. We have never been very good at that. Our current team has had success at getting rebounds and loose balls because we have several players who really get at tit. The cost of that is that we commit ourselves to fighting for possession in the half court. If we fail to get it, we are vulnerable. And Kansas is skilled at setting up a three point shot off the break. That’s the hardest thing in basketball to stop.

- Tyus Battle is the basketball team’s Eric Dungey, gutting it out through injuries to make the plays to win the game- or at least keep his team in it. The question is, is his back getting better or is the effort he puts forth making it worse?

- Maybe we could beat their football team.

My back hurts right now just thinking about Battle’s back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom