Why not Autry??? | Syracusefan.com

Why not Autry???

stone567

Walk On
Now that Hop has left the building, I have been surprised how many have suggested that Gerry McNamara will be the next head coach at SU.

I am really not sure what direction SU should go in for the future and I think they will have to think they will consider a big name coach now that Hopkins is no longer an option.

However, here is my legitimate question:

How can anyone really suggest that McNamara would ever leap frog Adrian Autry in the Syracuse hierarchy???

Autry has far more experience and success as a recruiter; Autry has been a coach far longer; Autry has coached in other systems; and Autry has brought in a lot of highly touted recruits in the short time he been here.

The only recruits that GMac has brought in are Moyer (unknown) and Ron Patterson (who transferred after one year). I think GMac has a long way to go to prove himself as a recruiter and I do not see any circumstance where he would ever be ready to be a head coach at a Power 5 conference in the near future in the likely timeframe when JB is ready to retire. Maybe, someday he will be a top coach,but the jury is really out.

So, I really do not understand how Autry is getting overlooked in favor of the unproven McNamara??? Any suggestions???

I think its because Jim Boehiem became head coach at the age of 32 after being an assistant on staff for 7 year. GMac is age 33 and been on staff for 6 years. Which will be 7 years when Boehiem retires. I think people just want a Boehiem 2.0 hiring a young 30 year old who used to play for us and can coach here for 40 years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom