Why not go all the way out and guard the 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why not go all the way out and guard the 3

RobNJOrange

Walk On
When the other team is really clicking on threes , their confidence is growing, embolding them to shoot from downtown, why do we stop defending the at the three point line . Go all the way out to the player. If he drives around you , someone else will be there to help out . It kills me to see that we guard the three applying the presumption the shooter won’t make it if he is more than a foot behind the line . Play stifling defense and get out there. Don’t let their player sit out there, size up the basket and take the shot without a hand in his face. That happened numerous times in the second half, especially the last two threes UConn hit after Hughes hit his three. Yes UConn won because they hit their threes. Yes. Syracuse lost because they failed to get all the way out on the shooter for about 75 percent of the threes, despite having the opportunity to so. I understand there were other reasons why we lost. We can’t plug all the holes in the dike at one time. I believe this was the easiest hole to plug to give us the win tonight.

Just give opposing teams wide open midrange shots all game. Don’t collapse on anyone if they get by you. Sit our Center around the basket and tell him to jump straight up and alter shots near the rim.

I guess that’s easier said than done, but in the post-Steph age, everyone grows up bombing threes (Syracuse players excluded)

We actually did this end of last year, not coincidentally, when our defense started clicking.

I’ve said this for years

and that if you took the net score for us in the first seven minutes of the game it’s terrible

Because the average. Overall average percentage of those shots made throughout the year is in the low 20s. It a percentage numbers game. Last night UCONN just shot lights out. But after they kept banging them I agree some adjustment should have been made.

Because the average. Overall average percentage of those shots made throughout the year is in the low 20s. It a percentage numbers game. Last night UCONN just shot lights out. But after they kept banging them I agree some adjustment should have been made.

Good point, but it won’t dissuade those on here that believe you have to shutdown 25 ft shots. Forget that that stretches the zone and opens up all sorts of passing lanes and room to drive. Or that even in M2M guarding that far out gives the quick guard all sorts of room to drive the lane.

i do agree with your point in general townie. you can't defend those shots when multiple players (4)
are hitting them. as was the case last night. but when it's one dude (plavich for 10) you need to abandon the zone and get a man in his damn face every possession.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom