Why Syracuse Will Win | Syracusefan.com

Why Syracuse Will Win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Back when the Hokies were probably the team we most wanted to beat and hated most to lose two, there were a lot of great games in the series. They all seemed to happen here. In the Dome, (from the formation of the Big East), it was SU 28 VT 9, 28-20, 52-21, 28-26, 14-22 and 50-42 in 3OT. In Blacksburg, it was 24-45, 7-31, 3-31, 0-62, 22-14 and 7-51. This game, fortunately, is in the Dome, where the good things happen.

- It’s also where hurricanes don’t happen. We moved the ball and did plenty of scoring until we had to play in the perfect storm against a team built to win a game in those conditions. We’ve back home in the environment our offense was built for.

- That North Carolina game was played in even worse conditions. As Coach Babers pointed out there were three games played in that state that day, (Notre Dame-NC State was the other) and the passing team lost all three. The Hokies other victims have been Liberty, Boston College and East Carolina. Are you impressed?

- I still think our offense has a fuse on it and the flame as not gotten to the bomb yet. It may seem unlikely against Tech’s defense but one of these games we are going to score more points- far more points- than anyone expected.

- Babers came around on the need to use Brisley Estime as his punt returner after experimenting with Sean Riley. I see Jordan Fredericks is now “co-second string”, whatever that is. I really think once we start feeding the ball to Fredericks we’ll see things change. I don’t care if he isn’t much of a pass receiver. We’ve got plenty of them. it’s like evaluating a pitcher by how well he hits. We need a dagger to gut the defense after the passing game has spread it out.

- Cole Murphy and Sterlin Hofrichter will be glad to get back in the Dome, too.

- And maybe our defensive front seven will turn into the 7 Samurai!
(Actually, we could have used them last week!)

2-4 with 6+ to go!

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!!

Every week that goes by we are going to get closer and closer to having a game where everything clicks.

Yes we are likely a year or two away from clicking on any kind of a semi-regular basis but that doesn't mean that we won't have any games beforehand where we click.

In the game that it does come together for this young group, it might not matter who the other team is (outside of the top 5) when we are at dome.

Every week that goes by we are going to get closer and closer to having a game where everything clicks.

Yes we are likely a year or two away from clicking on any kind of a semi-regular basis but that doesn't mean that we won't have any games beforehand where we click.

In the game that it does come together for this young group, it might not matter who the other team is (outside of the top 5) when we are at dome.

You mean like West Virginia 2011 and Louisville 2012? We could use a game like those.

I didn't realize that about Tech's opponents last year. I feel much better about our chances tomorrow. And yeah, anything can happen on any given week. It rarely has happened lately but why not?

I didn't realize that about Tech's opponents last year. I feel much better about our chances tomorrow. And yeah, anything can happen on any given week. It rarely has happened lately but why not?

Last year?

f6q73qsabtpdzfxbm4ea.jpg

- Back when the Hokies were probably the team we most wanted to beat and hated most to lose two, there were a lot of great games in the series. They all seemed to happen here. In the Dome, (from the formation of the Big East), it was SU 28 VT 9, 28-20, 52-21, 28-26, 14-22 and 50-42 in 3OT. In Blacksburg, it was 24-45, 7-31, 3-31, 0-62, 22-14 and 7-51. This game, fortunately, is in the Dome, where the good things happen.

- It’s also where hurricanes don’t happen. We moved the ball and did plenty of scoring until we had to play in the perfect storm against a team built to win a game in those conditions. We’ve back home in the environment our offense was built for.

- That North Carolina game was played in even worse conditions. As Coach Babers pointed out there were three games played in that state that day, (Notre Dame-NC State was the other) and the passing team lost all three. The Hokies other victims have been Liberty, Boston College and East Carolina. Are you impressed?

- I still think our offense has a fuse on it and the flame as not gotten to the bomb yet. It may seem unlikely against Tech’s defense but one of these games we are going to score more points- far more points- than anyone expected.

- Babers came around on the need to use Brisley Estime as his punt returner after experimenting with Sean Riley. I see Jordan Fredericks is now “co-second string”, whatever that is. I really think once we start feeding the ball to Fredericks we’ll see things change. I don’t care if he isn’t much of a pass receiver. We’ve got plenty of them. it’s like evaluating a pitcher by how well he hits. We need a dagger to gut the defense after the passing game has spread it out.

- Cole Murphy and Sterlin Hofrichter will be glad to get back in the Dome, too.

- And maybe our defensive front seven will turn into the 7 Samurai!
(Actually, we could have used them last week!)

2-4 with 6+ to go!

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!!
VT was the team we wanted to beat more than Ped State? Or was that after we stopped playing PS?

THANKS for the chart! Fascinating! It seems, oddly, our oldest major rival was Michigan, then Pittsburgh, then Rutgers, then Ped State, starting in 1913 IIRC. But it's only the latter I remember having such a strong rivalry with that we would try to paint the Nittany Lion orange and they would try to turn what SU landmark blue?

VT by comparison didn't start playing SU till the 70s or 80s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom