Why Syracuse Will Win | Syracusefan.com

Why Syracuse Will Win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We still have some ‘X’ factors left. Dino mentioned one of them: the crowd, which can make a big difference, especially with a struggling quarterback. We can disrupt their communications, create some doubt and fire up our guys. You don’t want to rouse a sleeping Otto, either!

- Shrader and Tucker as a very unusual 1-2 punch, even in the modern game. They are basically a halfback and a fullback who is also a quarterback. It’s almost a wildcat formation. I doubt any defense in football, even Clemson’s is fully prepared for this. And it gives us an advantage in terms of confidence and attitude: on a passing play, the defense attacks the offense, which circles the wagons in hopes to finding an open receiver somewhere downfield. On a running play, the offense attacks the defense, initiates the contact and can knock the other team backwards. In other words, it’s a way to taking it to the other team, which an underdog has to do to win.

- Shrader was a 4-star QB prospect. He couldn’t be this bad of a thrower. I don’t think the passing game will ever be what it could have been with DeVito but it will surely improve from what we’ve seen and a defense fully concentrating on the run may give it the opportunity to do so in this game.

- We had 31 takeovers, (what I call ‘takeways’) in 2018, 25 in 2019 and 24 in 2020. We have 6 this year and are -1 in turnover margin. We are due to have a 2-3 takeover game. With an uncertain quarterback, (DJ has only 3 picks but has only completed 54% of his passes), and a mediocre line, this could be the game.

- Uiagalelei is a big guy but not that much of a runner, (160 yards in 5 games). Our aggressive defense should have a chance to get to him. Uiagalelei is basically Shrader if Shrader preferred to pass the ball rather than run it. I like the Tony White/Mikel Jones vs. Uiagalelei and OC Tony Elliott chess game. From Nunes, (interviewing someone from a Clemson website): “Offensive coordinator Tony Elliott’s scheme is outdated, and with players struggling to execute, that issue is being magnified. At the same time, with these players not executing the most basic offensive plays, it’s also difficult for Elliott to call more exotic plays until they show proficiency with the basic stuff.”

- They aren’t that much of a running team. Kobe Pace leads after 6 games with 218 yards, although his average is good, (5.6).

- I still think Trebor Pena is going to take on the distance in one of these games. Tick tick tick.

- It will be allow scoring game and that favors an underdog, who ahs to stay in the game.

- The occasion: It’s Clemson. Honoring Floyd. Will Tucker come out wearing #44? There will be plenty of emotion. If the players and fans can turn that into a sustained effort, we can do this.

3-3 and 6+ to go!

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom