Why Syracuse? | Syracusefan.com

Why Syracuse?

Cuse House

All American
Today has been a tough day, so I think it would be cool to reflect on why we love Syracuse. I have seen this done in the past, but never participated and I know we have some new faces since I joined the board a few years back.

I remember the first time I walked into the Dome, it was in the 2002-2003 season. I was 9 years old. Syracuse-Georgetown, we won 88-80 and GMac and Melo both scored 22 points. The first thing I remember commenting on 14 years ago was how bright the court was in person. Later that year, we won the title and I have been hooked ever since.

Syracuse basketball is an integral part of my life, and it will hopefully stay that way for the next 60 years.

Looking forward to reading some cool stories from the old-timers :)

Grew up in Syracuse. My grandfather never missed a game but watched every one, and I used to as well.

First game I went to was actually when I was about 15 or 16 (John Wallaces third year) even though I watched most on TV.

What I love most about the team and program is the same coach on the sidelines and seeing guys come in and becoming a part of the team and our history, watching them come in as freshman getting the business on the sidelines from the coach then 4 years later being a trusted key member of the team knowing how much work it took to get to that point.

Having the same coach year after year is what makes this all of this special. When I think Syracuse basketball I think hard work, perseverance, determination.

Grew up in Central New York state, all of my older cousins rooted for Syracuse and always wore SU apparel in the 1980's, some of my first memories were watching Sherman, DC and Owens on TV while playing nerf basketball with my older brothers. It's a religion that's been passed on to me.

I grew up in New Jersey, always loved college hoops, never really had a team, don't hate me, actually rooted for Duke for a but, but in the mid 90's there was a game we played in Rupp, and for some reason it just fascinated me with Syracuse, then when we played in the Final Four in 96 in the Meadowlands they grew on me even more, then it became time to apply to college, and I wanted to go to Newhouse more than anything, I was waitlisted, but it never changed my love for Syracuse, year after year my love for the program and school became stronger and stronger. I know I didn't go to Su, but I feel like I did, and this forum is like a family to me.

I grew up in New Jersey, always loved college hoops, never really had a team, don't hate me, actually rooted for Duke for a but, but in the mid 90's there was a game we played in Rupp, and for some reason it just fascinated me with Syracuse, then when we played in the Final Four in 96 in the Meadowlands they grew on me even more, then it became time to apply to college, and I wanted to go to Newhouse more than anything, I was waitlisted, but it never changed my love for Syracuse, year after year my love for the program and school became stronger and stronger. I know I didn't go to Su, but I feel like I did, and this forum is like a family to me.
Very interesting that the fandom just came about. All of my teams are the same as my dad's, so I never had that feeling of "who should I root for."

Very interesting that the fandom just came about. All of my teams are the same as my dad's, so I never had that feeling of "who should I root for."

I kind of went he opposite of my dad, he is a huge Giants fan, I became a Cowboys fan, he rooted for the Mets and then kind of stopped, I became a Mets fan anyway, he never really got into college bball.

I kind of went he opposite of my dad, he is a huge Giants fan, I became a Cowboys fan, he rooted for the Mets and then kind of stopped, I became a Mets fan anyway, he never really got into college bball.
You're welcome in my house, we are all cowboys fans. Crazy living in Upstate NY, I don't get a lot of sympathy from my friends haha.

Okay, I'm an only child and I go away to Syracuse and quite frankly, I'm homesick. I go home one weekend and tell my mom that I want to quit and go school locally. she looks at me and say no. you wanted to go to Syracuse so bad, you are going to stick it out. Then basketball starts. And I fell in love. Manley was just great. And we never lost there. And for the past 45 years, we have always been pretty good. Syracuse basketball and Syracuse football have brought me great joy.

Seriously, my grandmother graduated Syracuse in 1928, my aunt in 1965, my Dad in 1968 (UC), me in 1988, and my son starts in the fall. Four generations of Orangemen and Orangewomen.

That's why...

Oh, was at The Nebraska game in 84, Gtown in 85, penn state and WVU in 87. Countless Big East tourneys in 80s and 90s, numerous final fours...

Last edited:
Father grew up in Syracuse & instilled a love of SU sports in me from birth. My earliest memory was Lawrence Moten & wearing knee-high white socks in kindergarten to look like him. The teachers got the biggest kick out of it. While I was always in the living room for games, I started really playing attention as a 6 yr old in 1996. The Final Four run, specifically Cipolla & Wallace's heroics to beat Georgia, got me hooked for life.

I also recall my first trip to the Dome for a hoops game & asking my father why Todd Burgan shot so weird. It was my first time seeing someone shoot left handed lol

Grew up in Rochester, listening to the games on Wham in the early 2000's. In the middle of the 2003 ice storm, I watched Melo torch Texas from a neighbor's house who had a generator. This board and the community it provides even though I live so far away now. And of course JAB; much respect to a man who does it his way, stands by his principles, and is excellent at what he does.

Another 716er here. We were Bills and Orange fans growing up. The tri-capt team with Rautins, Bruin , and Santifer is the first SU team I really was excited about. A few years later came the Pearl, and I was hooked for life.
Went to SUNY Oswego in '86. We all rooted for the Orange as if they were are own. I have so many great memories with family and friends over the years. Fun getting a phone call or text from someone I haven't heard from in a while after a big win or selection Sunday...

I was a laker remember Roys runts dust in Manley, Joel on the radio "up the invisible ladder" fresh Columbus bakery bread after football games. My dad always told me that if i ever got list to "meet him at Lincoln" Czonka 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Being in awe of UCLA powder blue jerseys and wondering what California must be like. The Cadets and Midshipmen The saltine warrior and of course all of those Penn State games. Robs bomb to open one of the best games ever. Sweet D doing his globetrotters routine and of course a slice at the Varsity. Great memories with many more to come.

My uncle lived in the Cuse, and taught at SU in the early 70's. My 2 older brothers and I used to come up from Queens NY to stay w/ him for about 2 weeks each summer. We'd go swimming in Thornden Park pool, have pizza on M-Street, and walk around the quad during the day.
My uncle introduced us to some of the players and Coach Danforth. That fall, I'm back in Queens watching a game on CBS, and lo and behold, there's a face I recognized- Dennis Duval DESTROYING some fools on national tv. The crowd was going insane and the 8-yr old me was in love.
Later, I was accepted at Duke, Drexel, and SU- but the only one I wanted was the Cuse. Its in my blood and Syracuse is the only place I'd willing transfer to, regardless of where I was in the world. Yes, and being in love can be hard- lotsa ups and downs.
But worth it? Abso- freaking-lutely!

Was at SU in the mid sixtys and my clearest memories of watching games in Manley are of a skinny kid wearing glasses who would feed Dave Bing, who would then seemingly defy the laws of gravity as he glided from near the free throw line to the rim for a dunk. Amazing! Of course, at the time, I had no idea of who the skinny guard was or what the future held for him.

Born in 72 in CNY...dad was a very big fan. We never missed a game...either watched it on tv or listened by radio...I soon was hooked as well. Once I started playing in grade school it only enhanced my love for the cuse as I wanted to be just like them...my first SU heros were raf Addison and Pearl. We were poor so I never attended a game until my senior year in high school when a friend invited me to the uconn game...that was feb of 1990.

In CNY Cuse hoops is all we have and like many others I bleed orange all the time.

Going to college in the Midwest and having the privilege of seeing Chamberlain, the Big O, Jerry Lucas and many of the other great players and teams of that era, I had little thought of watching BB when I came back to the East.
I saw a few UConn games and a couple at Providence and they were OK but not what I was used to seeing.

Fast forward to living in CNY. My first game at the Dome was seeing the Cuse play St. Johns. The St.J freshman with the crew cut blew me away and that was just in warmups. I told my wife that this kid had a great future. Turns out Chris Mullen sure did.

I think that the Big East itself hooked me first but when I saw my first Georgetown game I became an Orange fan for life.