Why the Big East is dead. | Syracusefan.com

Why the Big East is dead.

That was a proposal back in June... is that what was eventually agreed to?
If so, the BE traded their top producers from '98-'03 for Boise State from '03-present.

Mostly Miami & VPI early on, one or two from Syracuse & Pitt and 7 from WVU.
A bit nasty. I suspect if they stick to this formula (which appears to have a minimum amount per school) it will likely be a rolling calculation based on the previous 15 years' worth of final BCS standings.

Big East is in trouble financially. They are going from about $20 million guaranteed divided by 8 teams to the possibility of $20 million (should the Big East have a highly ranked team) divided by 14 teams. Even if the BE puts a team into the BCS every year, they will be making $1 million less per school. So now SU will be making at worst $1.5 million more per season than the Big East teams from the BCS.

It really bothers me how elitist college football is and always has been. I'm no fan of the big east but good teams should always get a chance to play the "big boys".

It really bothers me how elitist college football is and always has been. I'm no fan of the big east but good teams should always get a chance to play the "big boys".
they can play with them, they just dont get their money

I have some questions about tying money to graduation rates. While the intention is fine, I think it simply encourage more basket weaving degrees, and ultimately does a disservice to those marginal students. I don't know the answer. Just don't think that's it.

I have some questions about tying money to graduation rates. While the intention is fine, I think it simply encourage more basket weaving degrees, and ultimately does a disservice to those marginal students. I don't know the answer. Just don't think that's it.
that will never happen in a million years, as stated in that article.