Why the raised court/lowered benches at FF? | Syracusefan.com

Why the raised court/lowered benches at FF?

joct

2nd String
Watching the practice coverage from the final four, does anyone know the benefit of having the court raised / benches lowered? The only things that I see that it accomplishes are

A) Force the coach to stand for the whole game, or sit alone on a stool (either way away from the team)because it is such a hike from the bench
B) Give any coach or player sitting down a worse perspective of what is going on the court because they are looking up at everything
C) create a more dangerous situation if a player's momentum takes him off the court...now they have a new direction to go...down.

Just a mini rant on a slow day.

I don't see the benefit of a raised court at all. Like your point C, it seems like a dangerous situation for players near the sidelines/endlines.

In a large stadium, it allows for better sightlines so they can sell more tickets, as the benches and courtside seating isn't in the way of others. If we turned the court at the Dome and allowed for the full attendance as we do for football, I could see us raising the court as well.

It gets the court above sea level, just in case New Orleans gets another Hurricane this weekend.

Well, the floor at the Dome is "raised" just enough to roll an ankle pretty well.

I thought it was to prevent coaches from stepping onto the court during live play.