Why we do what we do | Syracusefan.com

Why we do what we do

Henny & Coke

2nd String
I posted this in another thread, but thought it may start a nice discussion as it's own post:

Like bballbeadle said above, even tho last few years have been very frustrating...missing the tournament is not a common occurrence for us...however! There have been bright spots to celebrate. Mind as well start with "the streak"...

*** Winning first 25 games of year in 2013-2014 season & being #1 overall team in country was exhilarating!

Ennis' game winning shot vs Pitt to keep streak alive!

I remember people in Syracuse watching that Pitt game in a movie theater!? (Can anyone confirm my memory please?)

A freaking movie theater showing the local college basketball game...how cool! Great example of how the team in so connected with the greater Syracuse community.

-------------------------------------------------

*** Game winners? Two words: John Gillon.

I may never forget that shot at the Dome (2016-2017) vs new ACC rival Duke, who was ranked in top 5 I believe.

Watching the clip over & over again. (Watching reaction videos of other people watching the shot haha.)

Seeing the fans rise from their seats in anticipation...then..."swish!"

Then...a tidal wave of celebration erupts all around you! Simply amazing. Beautiful even. Inspiring.

*** Speaking of last year's team...how about beating two other highly ranked ACC teams! (Virginia & FSU?)

*** Obviously, there's the surprise run to the Final Four in 2015-2016 season. What an adventure that was, lol.

I can tell you exactly where I was for each & every game of that NCAA tournament run.

Virginia game I was out on Easter Sunday night, at a community event, listening to radio in my car in parking lot I hear they are down 16 at half. Ugh. Time to pack it up I guess. I go inside & tell my father the bad news. I tell him Tyler Lydon even lost his damn sneaker, threw it off court, and drained a 3...but it's not enough...

Then...it happened!

Malachi goes unconscious, hitting every damn shot! comeback I run back inside, find my father in the crowd, and we find some little barroom TV to watch final minutes. My fathers reaction tho when I shared the good news we were in the game again...just
priceless. A mix of shock & glee haha.

*** [Side-note: My father & I share a special bond related to this Syracuse Basketball team. When I was a Senior & bartending at Conrads (the old 44s for us older guys haha) during Carmelo & company's Final Four game my parents drove up to participate in the fun around campus. They watched from the seeming safety of the bar as the clock struck .00 & our team was off to the Championship game. And then the "fun level" got turned up to "Max 10"...

Students took to the streets, celebrating the good news. There was a goddamn naked guy in a tree on Marshall St! Lol.

Ever since, my dad & I watch games together when we can. We call & text each other during & after games. I keep him up to date on who our new recruits are.

(Wow...this has been going on for close to 15 years now!!! Unreal! That realization just hit me.)

This bond I share with my father is something I value more than anyone will ever know. Probably more than I even realize, to be honest.]

Man, that Final Four run was simply...fun.

---------------------------------------------------

All of this and I still haven't gotten to a number of important moments - how about...

That first Duke game as an official ACC matchup (2013-2014)...damn game sold out before season even started! How does that happen?!? This is how...

- Our boys entered the game a perfect 20-0 and ranked #2 in nation.

- Duke was 17-4 with a #17 ranking.

- ESPN College Gameday was at the Dome.

- The crowd filled into the Dome & the official talley was 35,446. Amazing.

And they were treated to a classic game. SU led by three with less than 10 seconds when Duke hits a 3 to send it into overtime. Overtime? Free basketball! And SU pulls out the win in OT.

But how would we do in the rematch at Cameron? Do you remember...

JB, our fearless leader ripping his suit coat off in a fit of rage directed at the officials in that remarkable SU vs Duke rematch...and his subsequent technicals & ejection! First ejection ever for Coach B. Just think about that.

(And how many funny gifs were made with that image of JB ripping off his coat like Superman!?!)

"People will remember this one for 30 years,'' Boeheim said.

Now, that is history that will be celebrated by college basketball fans for years to come. And our Orange played an integral part.

*** Hell, I may remember a sequence that happened just recently. Chwuku blocking a Clemson's player shot late in a tied ballgame vs a ranked opponent. He falls to the ground while the ball bounces to another Clemson player. This man readies to shoot again...and...

Blocked? How?

Chwuku came out of nowhere to get that one! And the crowd is bonkers, providing the well deserved accolades to our 7 foot center who just made a heart & hustle play that makes you want to suit up & play yourself! The roar of the Carrier Dome crowd signals our appreciation for the effort. And we hope that it inspires our team to continue the great play.

Those moments...

Those moments are why we watch. And yes, sometimes we "suffer" through some games or stretches of games, maybe even an entire season. But it's what we do.

We follow this team.

We love this team.

Our community built a support system to embrace the team. It's a habit for some people/families. A tradition even.

And the people who go to the games...they deserve so much credit. We have the best fans.

We go to games with friends & family to be part of 30 thousand people all with the same singular goal of cheering their Orange to victory... and setting records each year for attendance. We attempt to energize the players with our thunderous cheers.

[And I won't even go into how well this fan base travels, taking over opponents arenas & marking out territory with our "Let's Go Orange" cheers.]

When gathered with friends & family we discuss & disssect the games. It may be all you have in common with someone...but that may be all we need to continue our interactions with that person. This is a shared experience...shared with thousands of people!

And the memories.

We hold these memories close & anxiously await the new ones that lie ahead.

*** Let's Go Orange! ***

*** The Cuse is in the House...Oh My God, Oh My God! ***

Last edited:
I believe the frustration stems from not winning it all since ‘03, especially in 2010 and 2012. If we had our centers for those tourneys we would’ve won it one of those years. We were a top power for a good 5-6 years and now we’ve Been sanctioned into mediocrity.

It dampens the effect of those positive moments you referenced, but also these recent seasons have simply not been very enjoyable to watch overall sans those bright spots.

Thank goodness we finally won an ACCT game.

I believe the frustration stems from not winning it all since ‘03, especially in 2010 and 2012. If we had our centers for those tourneys we would’ve won it one of those years. We were a top power for a good 5-6 years and now we’ve Been sanctioned into mediocrity.

It dampens the effect of those positive moments you referenced, but also these recent seasons have simply not been very enjoyable to watch overall sans those bright spots.

Thank goodness we finally won an ACCT game.

Reminds me of my career on here. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom