Why we want the Bills & SU to win (NY College Team) | Syracusefan.com

Why we want the Bills & SU to win (NY College Team)

chakka3421

All Conference
Now that the dust has settled, personally I want the Bills to get to a playoff ASAP and SU to continue its post season success. Why? If we are truly NY's College Team, last time I checked Buffalo is also located in NY!

If both teams are successful, my viewpoint (win-win) would be the following:
1. Strengthen the ties between the Bills organization & SU through DM & SS.
2. SU can play games in the Bills stadium along with the Meadowlands - I prefer 6 home games in the Dome with a neutral 7th in those stadiums in those years.
3. Ensure monies generated be reinvested into the football program and not redirected to pay for other sports (this was an issue in the past). Football first!
4. Entice the Bills to relocate training camp to Manley (assuming no NCAA issues) - have Bills invest in Manley updates (medical, weight room) and fund the "Marrone - Brandon" IPF through donations by them
5. Get Pinstripe Bowl to follow SU to ACC so we play in Yankee Stadium from time to time.
6. Regarding conference realignment, it makes SU have that much more of a case that we truly are NY's College team.
7. From outside looking in, this just looks like plain old good business for both organizations - more Syracuse people watching & going to Bills games and more Buffalo people watching & going to SU games.

These are just some of the ideas "that could work" but it will take strong leadership & vision by both organizations to make some or all of the above to happen. The foundation is there - but first things first - both DM & SS must win!

Off to work as I am already going to be late.

And it certainly wouldn't hurt if the Bills drafted some SU guys that ended up as starters. How many people became Philly fans because of McNabb or Indy fans because of Harrison and/or Freeney along with a number of lower profile guys?

And it certainly wouldn't hurt if the Bills drafted some SU guys that ended up as starters. How many people became Philly fans because of McNabb or Indy fans because of Harrison and/or Freeney along with a number of lower profile guys?
Honestly, what you say would produce many more crossover Bills fans than having good relations with the Bills or playing a game in Rich Stadium.

Buffalo is a pro football place. People there don't care about college football. And it's not like Syracuse where, if you grew up there, you are an Orange fan no matter where you went to college later. Buffalo has a bunch of local colleges. It's not going to be easy to get native Buffalonian grads from Niagara, UB, Buff. St., Canisius, Bonnies to become SU fans. And when I say "not easy", I mean not cost-effective. I like the ideas of having close relations with the Bills on the admin. side and perhaps it could pay dividends some day. However, I actually think SU has a better chance of getting more fans from Rochester and Albany than Buffalo with good marketing (and more wins).

I just want the Bills to win so that I can die a happy man someday!!!!

F the bills.

I will be happy when they move to Toronto.

Go Gints!

No you don't want that to happen...then UB might actually build a fan base and start to claim NY State Flagship.

On Point 2...the only time we should play at Bills Stadium is if UB is hosting Cuse there. I went to a Cuse game vs Washington State in 1979 at Bills Stadium...I was one of about 10-12k fans there.

The Bills success will have little to no impact on the University, unless they begin to offer financial support, or do what you suggest in point 4.
4. Entice the Bills to relocate training camp to Manley (assuming no NCAA issues) - have Bills invest in Manley updates (medical, weight room) and fund the "Marrone - Brandon" IPF through donations by them

Other than that it is like comparing the Knicks current success making St. johns a better program.

Whoever it was (good post whoever you are) that said the tri-cities of Buff/Roch/Syr need to join forces is right. I don't get the hate either. Assuming both SU and the Bills have marginal success, this could be a great opportunity to spread the New York's College Team brand.

True, that Buffalo is probably below Albany/Roch in potential brand penetration (my gf is from Buffalo, so she gives me some insight), but there's no better time to give it a try than now. If we ever need to get into a conference like the b10, having better state-wide fan support will go a long way in making up for being a private school. I doubt we'll play any football games in Buffalo, but I don't see any reason we can't play some exhibition basketball games around the state.

Whoever it was (good post whoever you are) that said the tri-cities of Buff/Roch/Syr need to join forces is right. I don't get the hate either. Assuming both SU and the Bills have marginal success, this could be a great opportunity to spread the New York's College Team brand.

True, that Buffalo is probably below Albany/Roch in potential brand penetration (my gf is from Buffalo, so she gives me some insight), but there's no better time to give it a try than now. If we ever need to get into a conference like the b10, having better state-wide fan support will go a long way in making up for being a private school. I doubt we'll play any football games in Buffalo, but I don't see any reason we can't play some exhibition basketball games around the state.

Yeah, Buffalo is probably a very tough sell. When it's football season, all they care about is the Bills, and when it's basketball season, all they care about is the Sabres. A few years back, I was in Buffalo on a Saturday night when SU was playing Wichita State (UGHHHHH) and me and my friends went to the Tully's out in Amherst. Figured it was a Syracuse chain, so of course they would have the SU game on in there. WRONG. The Sabres were playing some meaningless game in the 3rd week of the season or whatever, and they had about 95 tv's tuned into the Sabres game with audio. After some begging, I managed to get the SU game put on a small 20 inch old school tv in the corner. Kinda wish they woulda left the Sabres game on though after that one though.

Born and raised a 315er. Went to school at Geneseo. Loved the college but the WNY people? They call soda 'pop'?!? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom