Will BJ move ahead of Roberson? | Syracusefan.com

Will BJ move ahead of Roberson?

Dcuse

All Conference
I know it's one game against an overmatched team. When all is said and done, I actually feel like Mike G will get the lions share of minutes there with the emergence of Patterson in the backcourt. We know that bench is gonna shorten by as early as Thursday so... Who will the 7th man be?

I know it's one game against an overmatched team. When all is said and done, I actually feel like Mike G will get the lions share of minutes there with the emergence of Patterson in the backcourt. We know that bench is gonna shorten by as early as Thursday so... Who will the 7th man be?

No. That is not how JB operates. BJ will be a spark plug of offense off the bench. Roberson strikes me as a player who needs to build his confidence, and sitting him will do the opposite. Robe needs reps and time on the floor to get comfortable. BJ will be good either way.

I can't believe the number of bunnies that Roberson missed last game. He showed a nice stroke from 12', though. Thankfully there's a lot of possible plug-and-plays on this team.

I can't believe the number of bunnies that Roberson missed last game. He showed a nice stroke from 12', though. Thankfully there's a lot of possible plug-and-plays on this team.

It looked like Tyler was rushing his shot a bit Friday night, which led to many of those misses. Rushing shots is common for young players early in their careers. He'll make those as the game slows down for him and he learns to use shot fakes. However, he may also see less opportunities to make bunnies against the upper-echelon of the ACC, so it's good to see that he possesses that 12' jumper.

Boeheim doesn't usually change his starting lineup unless there are injuries. Also nice to have a shooter that can better space the floor come in off the bench.

No. That is not how JB operates. BJ will be a spark plug of offense off the bench. Roberson strikes me as a player who needs to build his confidence, and sitting him will do the opposite. Robe needs reps and time on the floor to get comfortable. BJ will be good either way.
We all know well that one of those two is gonna get squeezed out of playing time unless coach suddenly turns into somebody else. Unless Patterson suddenly regresses, which I don't anticipate, gbinijie will log more minutes at forward. Trust me, one of those two will have a long face this year.

If the team needs jump shots BJ plays more. If they need more size and 12-15 foot jumpers or an extra center Roberson plays more. If one is more active than the other they will play more on that particular day. To me it'll depend on man to man or zone defenses the Orange play against.

I liked how Patterson ran the offense when he was in there. He really looked good imo, was under control, could penetrate and dish too. He missed some open shots, but his technique and form looks very solid. I think he can really contribute a lot this year. But getting back on point, BJ was solid! :)

I agree with those who think BJ will likely be the odd man out (9th guy out of a 7.5 rotation). JB isn't changing.

Having said that, I think the dilemma of BJ at least during the non-conference schedule might be determined more by if McCullough or Obokoh plays back-up center exclusively. If the game requires Oboko to back-up Rak then BJ will not see the floor much if at all. If the game will allow Chris to back-up Rak at center then BJ could get some significant minutes and perhaps force the issue by his play by ACC time. But then Obokoh's play could determine the same thing for him. Who knows?

Will be an interesting situation to follow.

Cheers,
Neil

I agree with those who think BJ will likely be the odd man out (9th guy out of a 7.5 rotation). JB isn't changing.

Having said that, I think the dilemma of BJ at least during the non-conference schedule might be determined more by if McCullough or Obokoh plays back-up center exclusively. If the game requires Oboko to back-up Rak then BJ will not see the floor much if at all. If the game will allow Chris to back-up Rak at center then BJ could get some significant minutes and perhaps force the issue by his play by ACC time. But then Obokoh's play could determine the same thing for him. Who knows?

Cheers,
Neil

I think BJ is going to be difficult to keep out of the lineup, in a reserve capacity. Especially if McCullough plays backup center. Gbinije is going to play, but BJ's outside shooting / scoring potential exceeds that of Gbinije. I wouldn't be so quick to count him out.

That said, it was only one game. BJ garnered virtually no PT last year, so the next few games will entirely be a feeling out process.

I think BJ is going to be difficult to keep out of the lineup, in a reserve capacity. Especially if McCullough plays backup center. Gbinije is going to play, but BJ's outside shooting / scoring potential exceeds that of Gbinije. I wouldn't be so quick to count him out.

That said, it was only one game. BJ garnered virtually no PT last year, so the next few games will entirely be a feeling out process.
Totally agree, I think we got a glimpse of this on the Baltic trip over the summer. BJ was the primary scorer on a college all star team. Plus, as thin as he is, BJ seems to be able and willing to go in and rebound.

Cheers,
Neil

Your second paragraph is what I was thinking about when I was reading this. I know JB doesn't go more than 7.5 often but I feel like there was a season in the not too distant past where he was almost running 2 lines. Am I off my nut?

I agree it will be difficult to keep BJ out if he plays like we have seen so far.

BJ looks more and more deserving to play right now and all three of TR, CM and BJ will get 20+ minutes. It's like mentioned already. Depending what we need on a given night -- Guard out? Big man foul trouble? JB will adjust. He said it Friday night. All of the schollies have to play ready to log significant minutes depending on the situation. Either way, BJ is an important piece of this puzzle and his scoring, confidence and all around "Johnny on the spot" play is valued.

About Roberson. He had low post yips yesterday :)
But I'm not sure if this was said: a lot of his misses were from scrapping for a loose ball or offensive rebound. He clanked a few from inside of 3 feet :eek: but he had some attention, leaving BJ, Chris and Roc to clean up with easy putbacks. He will convert more and his misses were scary, but he did make the opportunity and we scored as a result. If it sounds like an excuse, watch the replay on espn3 again in the 3 minutes leading up to the 6:41 mark when TR scored his first basket. These were the minutes most of his misses came from. We scored almost every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom