Will Coach K let Okafor single cover Rak | Syracusefan.com

Will Coach K let Okafor single cover Rak

SBU72

All Conference
Or go with the double team? And how aggressive will he have the Duke offense go through Okafor?

Or go with the double team? And how aggressive will he have the Duke offense go through Okafor?
Bout the same chance as us singling Okafor. I think they try to single Rak early but Okafor is just not a good enough defender. The key with both these guys is double early and very aggressive imo. If you wait or are tentative, they are too talented and either can pass out for an open shot or they can score easily over a passive double. Should be a tremendous match up. Wouldnt be surprised if no clear winner between the two and not surprisingly guard play determines the winner of the game

Last edited:
I hope Rak got this un-Rak-like game out of his system and that he will school Okafor on Saturday!

On Saturday Rak will be playing for this
th

He'll let him try - till Rak starts dominating him at least!

Good question. I think they will play Rak straight up. Not sure if people realize that Okafor is bigger, heavier and stronger than Rak. I'm sure the scouts have been waiting for this match up.

Good question. I think they will play Rak straight up. Not sure if people realize that Okafor is bigger, heavier and stronger than Rak. I'm sure the scouts have been waiting for this match up.
That is all true, and imo Ok is more skilled offensively. But also imo, if Rak didnt have to worry about foul trouble , Rak is the better defender

BC devoting 2 people to Rak everytime basically gave everyone else open looks.
If teams want to follow BC's gameplan then they will need G, Cooney, or anyone to miss open shots.

If Okafor plays Rak one on one each guy will have individual wins during the game.

If teams want to follow BC's gameplan then they will need G, Cooney, or anyone to miss open shots.

If Okafor plays Rak one on one each guy will have individual wins during the game.
Imo the problem was that BC basically doubled Rak before he even got a chance to get the ball most of the time. Weird strategy that didnt work

Duke might not play Rak as aggressively as BC did tonight, but I suspect Amile Jefferson will never be too far away when Rak gets the ball in the paint. Putting just Okafor on him would be a huge mistake that I don't anticipate Coach K making.

I can't think of a team that has not doubled Rak. Tonight was more about the way BC tried to defend (or not defend) the rest of the team.

Duke might not play Rak as aggressively as BC did tonight, but I suspect Amile Jefferson will never be too far away when Rak gets the ball in the paint. Putting just Okafor on him would be a huge mistake that I don't anticipate Coach K making.
No brainer imo, Jefferson would be leaving tRob or BJ, i think they will take that chance. And w Rak having no back up and worried about foul trouble, no way he doesnt get help w Ok

I think you'll see K constantly changing things on defense - between single/double on Rak and then between m2m and the 2/3 they've been using this year

I still wonder what would have happened if Bob Lanier went up against Artis Gilmore back in '71. I wonder how they did against each other in the NBA.

Rak can outplay Okafor.
The issue is...what happens when Rak and Okafor pass out of the post?
Will our guards be open for good shots and will we hit them?
For Duke...if Winslow, Cook and the T. Jones are hitting...we're in trouble.

Let's see if K plays the 2-3 against us.
It's not very active.
Duke wings do not cover nearly the ground that ours do.

Duke is going to play a lot of zone- Winslow can't cover Gbinije on the perimeter. They will dare Joseph/Johnson/Roberson to make shots.

Would be an awful mistake by K.

Anyone want to go ahead and name off the centers Rak has covered in his career?

I've seen Rak, time after time, been thrown up to cover "superior talent" and hold his own.

This is a guy that, thank you again Fabricio, was thrown to the wolves his freshman year and had to guard Sully in the elite eight.

I trust in Rak, he's the least of my worries.

We can only hope! It would be like, dare I say it, Christmas for Rak.

Haha. Last night's game was fun and good to see some players improve but let's not kid ourselves. That's some of the worst perimeter D I have ever seen and one of the most unathletic BC teams or ACC teams I have seen in quite some time except for the stocky guy who had some dunks. Shows how little respect the BC coach (and others) have for the rest of the team if they are going to send the house over to Rak. Nice to see Joseph getting to some open spots but those aren't going to be there imo moving forward. Still, he took advantage. Roberson, good lord. Good to see BJ make some shots. Keep on chuckin'! Mike has been really steady and solid. First half we need guys cutting quicker and more aware of what is happening to Rak. A competent team scores 40+ on those guys in the 1H. We were stuck on 23 with over 6:00 left in the 1H...oy.

Duke is going to play a lot of zone- Winslow can't cover Gbinije on the perimeter. They will dare Joseph/Johnson/Roberson to make shots.

What makes you think Winslow can't cover Mike?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom